New Modular PSU - Advice/Comments needed

Soldato
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a few new PSU's since I had a bunch of ANTEC PSU's go belly up on me.

Been spending some time reading a few reviews and have narrowed my choice down to these units. .

In order of costs (cheaper to more expensive)

OCZ ModStream 520w

Tagan Easycon 530w

Hiper Type R 580w

Enermax Liberty 500w

Tagan Easycon 580w

Seasonic M12 500w

I've already got a Tagan Easycon 530w which I am testing now, first impressions awesome but I'm not sure how they stand the test of time?

System #1: P4 *Northwood* 2.6GHz - 1GB (2x512) P3200 - Radeon 9200 - 1x HDD - 1x Optical - Floppy - 3x Case fans.

System #2: P4 *Northwood* 3.4GHz - 1GB (2x512) P3200 - Radeon 9800 Pro -4x HDD (2x36Gb Raptors, 2xIDE) - 1x Optical - Floppy - 3x Case fans.

System #3: Opteron 170 (@2.6GHz) - 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 - Radeon X850XT - PCI DVB-T card - 4xHDD - 1xOptical - Floppy - 3x Case fans

System #4: Opteron 170 (@2.6GHz) - 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 - Radeon X1900XT - 2xHDD - 1xOptical - Floppy - 3x Case fans

The P4 systems need a fair bit of voltage right? Do you think any of the above PSU's are too weak for any of these systems?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Don't get a hiper, personal experience from me... mine became faulty within the first few months then wouldnt power up the system from cold!

So scratch that off your list

Soldato
OP
Yes a few other people have said the same thing but I also know a few peeps who say how good they are, gawd!!

Buy yeah I will probably scratch that, it's my least fave choice as far as *internals* go, only made it in the list due to looking nice and being modular.

Looking at the costs (because I need 3) these PSU's are looking like the possible short-list:

OCZ ModStream 520w

Tagan Easycon 530w

Enermax Liberty 500w

Playing with the Tagan now, having to *test* fit it into the various cases because it is a big beast, already looking like it will be a squeeze in the original ANTEC Lanboy (have to take the mobo out to test fit it gah!) and next up is the SILVERSTONE LC20 (HTPC desktop case).

Just got off the phone to me mate Big Dave who owns the ENERMAX Liberty and he says it looks like a standard sized PSU (more square shaped) which should be helpful in the two smaller chassis. . .

Last edited:
Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
Yes a few other people have said the same thing but I also know a few peeps who say how good they are, gawd!!

Buy yeah I will probably scratch that, it's my least fave choice as far as *internals* go, only made it in the list due to looking nice and being modular.

Looking at the costs (because I need 3) these PSU's are looking like the possible short-list:

OCZ ModStream 520w <--- rails can be dodgy.

Expectations were very high for the ModStream and we were left a little disappointed after the testing. When idling the Q-Tec beat the ModStream in all of the + rails, and even under load the Q-Tec was better on the +12v and the +5v rails. Although the differences between them were only slight we did expect more from the ModStream as it does cost over six times more than the Q-Tec. On its own the ModStream did not perform badly at all under load – all rails apart from the +12v barely moved. The +12v did drop considerably though, and although it is well within 5% variation we would have liked to have seen it a bit higher.

Tagan Easycon 530w

I have this PSU, and it is a great PSU. The 3.3v rail does drop abit according to the graphs on OCCT but they do not drop by stupid amounts to cause any concern.

Enermax Liberty 500w

Good from what I have heard, but more expensive than the Tagan for less power.

Playing with the tagen now, having to *test* fit it into the various cases because it is a big beast, already looking like it will be a squeeze in the original ANTEC Lanboy (have to take the mobo out to test fit it gah!) and next up is the SILVERSTONE LC20 (HTPC desktop case).

Just got off the phone to me mate Big Dave who owns the ENERMAX Liberty and he says it looks like a standard sized PSU (more square shaped) which should be helpful in the two smaller chassis. . .

Soldato
OP
Thanks Mekrel :)

again I have heard *murmers* around the campfire about the OCZ units! :rolleyes:

It is looking like a grudge match between:

Tagan Easycon 530w

Enermax Liberty 500w

Going by brand name alone I am leaning torwards Enermax, the costs are roughly the same and not sure if the 30w difference is something to be concerned about.

I wonder what other features these PSU's offer (or don't offer), lol nearly there :p

Man of Honour
The power difference between those two is nothing but tbh I think your spending way more than you need to here, I can't see the 400 Watt Liberty struggling with any of those systems and the P4 ones, especially with those graphics, just aren't gonna need a £70 PSU. For your main rig with the X1900 I can see it more worthwhile but the rest.. nah..

Soldato
OP
Tetras said:
tbh I think your spending way more than you need to here, I can't see the 400 Watt Liberty struggling with any of those systems and the P4 ones, especially with those graphics, just aren't gonna need a £70 PSU
Hi there Tetras and GhostRider,

I kinda know what you mean, but was just making sure I was covered, better too much than too little sorta thing!

I made a mistake on System #2 (corrected above), so you think a quality 400w would be enough to feed this machine?, bearing in mind it has 4x HDD and the P4 guzzles a lot of juice!

System #2: P4 *Northwood* 3.4GHz - 1GB (2x512) P3200 - Radeon 9800 Pro -4x HDD (2x36Gb Raptors, 2xIDE) - 1x Optical - Floppy - 3x Case fans.

[edit] I say this because the above system already munched through an ANTEC TRUEPower550 in 18 months, and the other P4 system chomped another ANTEC, this time a NEOPower480, maybe just unlucky but I thought maybe the wattage wasn't enough :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
having looked at more psu threads and googling for far to long on psu , it is the same old story buy cheap , you buy dear in the end , if you want a top quality (the best most relaible psu) you need to spend the money ,

seasonic psu , are about the best you will get , i have yet to see a bad review of one ,

Soldato
i own it , large 14,5cm fan TOTALLY silent , i had the U01 with the 2 80's fans and if that was silent that is even more. 600W , 20A on each rail , excellent build quality , sleeved , modular ...what more can u ask?

it made the Hiper 580 i also bought look very cheapo .

Tagan all the way imho :cool:

Soldato
Corsair HX 520W. Far superior to my slightly older tagan. Very quiet, sooo stable even with my E6300 at 3.5ghz, 1900xt, and many other bits in *** case.

Thumbs up from me !

Soldato
I have an overclocked p4 northwood @ 3.2ghz, 4x 256 PC3200 (doh), 6600gt, 1 sata hdd, 2x nec dvdrw's, PCI Sound blaster, Nebula DigiTV PCI, and 4 case fans and I am using a Nexus 400w PSU (has been solid for over a year), personally I think I could get away using a 350w for this system!

However, I sold a old 1.8ghz northwood system over a year ago and the 350w Nexus PSU inside it went "pop". Meh, guy paid me £30 extra for a old old 330w enermax :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
adfinni said:
Corsair HX 520W. Far superior to my slightly older tagan. Very quiet, sooo stable even with my E6300 at 3.5ghz, 1900xt, and many other bits in *** case.

Thumbs up from me !
finally someone who agrees with me the corsair is far better than most of the one listed i love mine as im sure most other owners do

Soldato
OP
rippling said:
having looked at more psu threads and googling for far to long on psu , it is the same old story buy cheap , you buy dear in the end , if you want a top quality (the best most relaible psu) you need to spend the money
Hi rippling,

yes I understand that well, but looking at my PSU's that have given up the ghost after running between 12-24 months I don't think I have been buying cheap PSU's. .

ANTEC TruePower550 = £99 about two years ago: Held in high regard at the time, has now died after 18 months use running a modest set-up (P4 3.4GHz).

ANTEC NEOPower480 = £90 about a year and a half ago: Was the first modular PSU and one of the first with a 120mm fan and dual-rails, has also now died after just 18 months

fobose said:
I have an overclocked p4 northwood @ 3.2ghz, 4x 256 PC3200 (doh), 6600gt, 1 sata hdd, 2x nec dvdrw's, PCI Sound blaster, Nebula DigiTV PCI, and 4 case fans and I am using a Nexus 400w PSU (has been solid for over a year), personally I think I could get away using a 350w for this system!
Yup I'm running a similar system in a ANTEC Case/400w PSU bundle, all sweet atm, can't quite hit the same overclock though (6MHz less on the FSB to be exact!) but apart from that its sweet, however leave that system running for 1 year/2 year/3 year what happens.

Lol don't say chuck it in the bin and spend some money on a new system you mean git :)" I'm a Eco-Warrior don't you know.

Soldato
Big.Wayne said:
Hi rippling,

yes I understand that well, but looking at my PSU's that have given up the ghost after running between 12-24 months I don't think I have been buying cheap PSU's. .

ANTEC TruePower550 = £99 about two years ago: Held in high regard at the time, has now died after 18 months use running a modest set-up (P4 3.4GHz).

ANTEC NEOPower480 = £90 about a year and a half ago: Was the first modular PSU and one of the first with a 120mm fan and dual-rails, has also now died after just 18 months

Yup I'm running a similar system in a ANTEC Case/400w PSU bundle, all sweet atm, can't quite hit the same overclock though (6MHz less on the FSB to be exact!) but apart from that its sweet, however leave that system running for 1 year/2 year/3 year what happens.

Lol don't say chuck it in the bin and spend some money on a new system you mean git :)" I'm a Eco-Warrior don't you know.
dont get another Antec then :p

Soldato
OP
adfinni said:

Thumbs up from me !
Massive Attack said:
finally someone who agrees with me the corsair is far better than most of the one listed i love mine as im sure most other owners do
Hi adfinni and Massive Attack,

I would imagine that the Corsair PSU's are rather good, the company has an excellent reputation as a memory manufacturer but to be honest we (joe public) don't know that much about them and how they last, because they are so new, still would be happy to hear of any reviews/features you would care to share. . .

Back
Top Bottom