NEW Pay-by-mile car insurance

Soldato
Anything over 10,000 is free.

I think it actually works out quite competitive for me but not sure how it would work with no claims discounts, would you get any from them? Also how good are they at dealing with claims?

Soldato
Anything over 10,000 is free.

I think it actually works out quite competitive for me but not sure how it would work with no claims discounts, would you get any from them? Also how good are they at dealing with claims?
I'd be put off by the blackbox..

for a saving of 34 pounds vs normal 5k mile policy without blackbox.

Soldato
I checked and it's funny.. same price as I pay now... But I pay for two cars.

So no...not exactly great.

Then again, if I don't drive my car.. only going to cost me £180

Associate
Hi guys, how is it going? Full disclosure, I'm actually an employee of By Miles. Overclockers was driving a bunch of traffic to our site today so thought I'd come on over to see what all the fuss was about. Really interested to read your comments on the new product. Hope it's not rude to pipe up, but happy to answer any questions you may have, so give me a shout.

In answer to some of your points:
- We call it a “Miles Tracker” but our device is quite literally a little a black box…and you do need to keep it plugged in. But it's the size of a matchbox and you can plug it in yourself (no need for tools or an engineer).
- But… we don’t penalise people (or adjust your insurance premiums) on how fast you drive, if you take corners fast etc. Your per mile rate is your per mile rate for the whole year.
- As you've already pointed out, we'd never report people’s driving to the police (unless we were forced to by a court order).

You're totally right that our quotes don't work for everyone at the moment, but we're working on it and we hope to add coverage for more drivers and more car types as we grow. We're still tinkering with the pricing, so it's great to hear feedback. Any thoughts or ideas on how we can make the policy or product better, I'm all ears.

Anyway, hope this doesn't feel like I've overstepped the mark into your territory - if that's the case I'll gladly log off - but thought I shouldn't miss the chance to get some feedback from real drivers. Thanks for your interest so far anyway.

Thanks,

Donnie (Ollie)

Soldato
In answer to some of your points:
- We call it a “Miles Tracker” but our device is quite literally a little a black box…and you do need to keep it plugged in. But it's the size of a matchbox and you can plug it in yourself (no need for tools or an engineer).

This would be a problem for someone like me as I actually use my OBD port for other stuff if that's where it connects?

Man of Honour
hi Ollie, quick question if I may...

We call it a “Miles Tracker” but our device is quite literally a little a black box…
But… we don’t penalise people (or adjust your insurance premiums) on how fast you drive, if you take corners fast etc.

Why are these collected then?
  • the location of your car and roads you've driven on;
  • the date and time of day driven;
  • the distance driven, and the time used to drive that distance;
  • the speed and acceleration of the car;
  • the smoothness of braking, accelerating and cornering

Soldato
£565 for me based on 31k miles. At least they cap the mileage charges - "We'll never charge you more than 10,000 miles each year so based on this quick quote, £502.89 is the maximum you'd pay in total. Not a penny more".

Obviously that doesn't work for me since my current premium with business class cover and up to 40k miles a year comes to around £380, but that's fine since I'm clearly not part of the target audience for this. There's certain groups of people who I imagine it will work out well for.

Man of Honour
Easy enough to circumvent. 12v battery connected to an OBD2 poer connector, wired to a permanent 12v supply in the garage. Every now and then chuck it in the back seat, take a spin around the block then back in the garage.
Unless one has a new car not requiring an mot, it's pretty easy for them to check though.

Soldato
hi Ollie, quick question if I may...

Why are these collected then?

I'd imagine that they're still collected because they could be used in an investigation by Police if there was an accident/criminal wrongdoing etc. I still wouldn't be comfortable though, I'll never have a black box in my car.

Back
Top Bottom