New pc build to suit streaming to you tube and gaming walkthroughs

My son just sent me this lol (I think the price of 2k knocked him sick) :-

I just need something as a beginner 1080p I'm going to be playing off the console to make it cheaper for me all I need is something that will run my software and game captures smoothly
Can actually get away with something much less powerful if you're just streaming from the pc and not running the game as well.

I'd look at something with a mid to high end cpu decent motherboard and ram then just run off thr igpu. (All 7000 series rysen and and intel cpus that don't have the f suffix have an igpu)

That way if he does decide later to switch to pc gaming he can throw in an appropriate gpu.

As for software for steaming and capture OBS is good and free, though there is a bit of a learning curve to get all the setup dialed in. For editing devinci resolve is fantastic, but an even bigger learning curve. In both cases there are near endless guides on YouTube to help

Edit, also don't forget you'll need a capture device of some sort to get the game from the console to the pc

Last edited:
My son just sent me this lol (I think the price of 2k knocked him sick) :-

I just need something as a beginner 1080p I'm going to be playing off the console to make it cheaper for me all I need is something that will run my software and game captures smoothly
Good to see he's sensible and reasonable. My suggestion is to get a mid-range build with a capture card.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,313.86 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

the above is what i'd probably get, parts that are out-of-stock/pre-order are available elsewhere...and as always, i'll say do some shopping and you can find better deals (for the same/equivalent components) elsewhere :)
the capture card can be used for consoles and pc (and external, so a plus)
decent mid-range spec pc to top it all off... with a hdd for storage of video clips for editing
may not require an external mic as the headset has one built it - of can buy one later down the line if insufficient
similar thoughts in mind for the green-screen and ring lighting - these can always be bought later down the line if your kiddo becomes a serious streamer/earns money from streaming and wants to upgrade the quality of his streams

Thinking on it. If he really just wants to have a go. You can actually get away with like a used office pc with a later 4 core i7... 4790 or 6700 or similar and a terrible cheapo usb capture card.

It won't be good. But it will work and can probably get away with under £200 total spend. And if 6 or 12 months down the line he's still at it and enjoying can throw money at it then to get all fancy.

I also think go cheap as possible and see if it pans out.
If it doesn't work out as well as hoped then not a huge deal.
If it works out then he has real experience to base any further purchases on.
Microphone / headset choice is personal preference.
At home, I use a camera with dual mic built in for meetings.
In office ( or if my house was noisy) I prefer an on ear headset (jabra) to over ear but some like earbuds.
Some people I work with prefer a free standing mic with pop filter.
If he can, best to try out the options by borrowing.

Thanks everyone for your valuable input it really is helpful. I've not been able to reply due to a limit on posting.
After talking with my son he has now decided to go with the £1300 system as suggested by tamzzy as he wants to do some gaming also.
He also likes the fact it is upgradable in the future if he takes to it.

@marno17 there's only one thing i sneakily didn't spec in the build, which is the cooler as it is not sold at ocuk
it's the thermalright assassin king 120 (google it)
excellent cooler and very cheap too...i personally use it as well

I lknow increasing budget but I'd be tempted just to go for a 7700xt rather than 6700xt in @tamzzy build... I've seen triple cooler for £429 available (open box... 7700xt quick 319 black) and am sure will get down there again as were a few at that price on launch if don't want open box..i lknow £100 more, but in a lot of more modern games you're getting 30% plus uplift in fps over the 6700xt, so price/performance should scale. On top, you should get longer driver support, and it also comes with av1 codec support which is meant to be excellent for streaming.
I'd think maybe just get the 2tb firecuda 530 for £109 rather than the a 1`tb ssd and hhd..come in same cost and tje 530 has massive endurance and basically designed for large vid file movements etc, though you do lose 1tb overall storage, but I hate spinning discs..lost too much stuff with failed drives to ever want to go back to them

I lknow increasing budget but I'd be tempted just to go for a 7700xt rather than 6700xt in @tamzzy build... I've seen triple cooler for £429 available (open box... 7700xt quick 319 black) and am sure will get down there again as were a few at that price on launch if don't want open box..i lknow £100 more, but in a lot of more modern games you're getting 30% plus uplift in fps over the 6700xt, so price/performance should scale. On top, you should get longer driver support, and it also comes with av1 codec support which is meant to be excellent for streaming.
I'd think maybe just get the 2tb firecuda 530 for £109 rather than the a 1`tb ssd and hhd..come in same cost and tje 530 has massive endurance and basically designed for large vid file movements etc, though you do lose 1tb overall storage, but I hate spinning discs..lost too much stuff with failed drives to ever want to go back to them
I have the XFX 319 Quic 7700Xt, just upgraded from the 5700xt. It's a good card. I was tempted to go 7800xt, but I didn't feel i needed the extra power, eve if i could have got the dual fan vanilla one for £490ish.

Based on the two different suggested builds that were posted in relation to my question can anyone tell me where the following build in this link sits please in terms of value and saving the messing about of building ? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...f-geforce-rtx-4070-gam-fs-1dz-og.html#reviews
Quick look at the link above is a big no from me. It's a z490 board with a 11th gen processor and 2666 ddr4 ram. Only new part is the 4070 which you can buy for £525 so the rest is £1k of old PC parts...way of over lockers getting rid of old stock by disguising it behind a new gpu.
You'll never get better value than building yourself as the seller will put in a build cost..for ocuk it's about £200, or used to be, plus more if you get extra fans etc

Based on the two different suggested builds that were posted in relation to my question can anyone tell me where the following build in this link sits please in terms of value and saving the messing about of building ? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...f-geforce-rtx-4070-gam-fs-1dz-og.html#reviews

tammzy's build is better value when you consider it includes all the capture/streaming gear.

The CPU is faster in games (about the same in productivity), but the graphics card is slower (it is 1 tier down, since the 4070 is on a par with a 6800 XT/7800 XT).

My build: if you remove the capture/streaming gear is the same price as the prebuild. The graphics card is the same as OCUK's Firefly, but the CPU is not even close, a 13700F is massively faster in productivity and similar to the 7600 in games (it can be faster, depends on the game).

ASUS TUF B650-PLUS WIFI Mobo + AMD Ryzen 5 7600 CPU + FREE 1TB WD SN770 SSD Bundle 429.98​

above is a bundle offer away with free delivery so mobo, cpu, 1tb ssd
then same place is 32gb ddr5 corsair vengeance rgb 6000c36 ram for £112.49 so total here is £542.47

from OCuk
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £714.97 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

above is £1257.44..just add an air cooler for £40 and add the streaming gear(bow to above for that)...just wanted to show alternative to the prebuilt you put for £1599 from Ocuk​
posu is overkill but allows a more powerful gpu upgrade in future. not corsair top tier psu's, that the RM'x' series, but still good,gold rated and fully modular unlike the bronze in the prebuild​
the 7800xt is faster than the 4070 in raster, but slower when you put raytracing on and lacks dlss..but seeing as your son wants to do walkthru's, think raster more than good enough and the higher fps for raster might be better...a 4070, add £60 roughly to cost​
you could add a 2tb 2nd drive like the firecuda 530 2tb for £109 also if you don't want a spinning disk for the streaming/recording aspect etc and use the 1tb as the boot drive and other stuff.​
i chose the amd for it's upgradeability as in a couple years(or sooner you could drop in a much better cpu..amd next gen will be compatible with AM5 for instance). they also use less pwer to run so at the mo you can get away with a decent air cooler for £40​
As tetras says, the 13700f is more powerful at mo for productivity, but platform is end of life really..14th gen just launched is basically a refresh with same cpu's on higher clocks, and use a lot more power and will require a lot more cooling​
Also, you and you son can have fun building it together..plenty of Yt tutorials, paulshardware, pccentric and others have good vids on how to put them together​

ASUS TUF B650-PLUS WIFI Mobo + AMD Ryzen 5 7600 CPU + FREE 1TB WD SN770 SSD Bundle 429.98​

above is a bundle offer away with free delivery so mobo, cpu, 1tb ssd
then same place is 32gb ddr5 corsair vengeance rgb 6000c36 ram for £112.49 so total here is £542.47

from OCuk
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £714.97 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

above is £1257.44..just add an air cooler for £40 and add the streaming gear(bow to above for that)...just wanted to show alternative to the prebuilt you put for £1599 from Ocuk​
posu is overkill but allows a more powerful gpu upgrade in future. not corsair top tier psu's, that the RM'x' series, but still good,gold rated and fully modular unlike the bronze in the prebuild​
the 7800xt is faster than the 4070 in raster, but slower when you put raytracing on and lacks dlss..but seeing as your son wants to do walkthru's, think raster more than good enough and the higher fps for raster might be better...a 4070, add £60 roughly to cost​
you could add a 2tb 2nd drive like the firecuda 530 2tb for £109 also if you don't want a spinning disk for the streaming/recording aspect etc and use the 1tb as the boot drive and other stuff.​
i chose the amd for it's upgradeability as in a couple years(or sooner you could drop in a much better cpu..amd next gen will be compatible with AM5 for instance). they also use less pwer to run so at the mo you can get away with a decent air cooler for £40​
As tetras says, the 13700f is more powerful at mo for productivity, but platform is end of life really..14th gen just launched is basically a refresh with same cpu's on higher clocks, and use a lot more power and will require a lot more cooling​
Also, you and you son can have fun building it together..plenty of Yt tutorials, paulshardware, pccentric and others have good vids on how to put them together​

I like your thoughts on this along with your suggestions which allow room for future comfortable upgrades. Is the bundle you suggest from ocuk? I can't seem to find it?
Also which cooler would you suggest ?

Is there any chance you could do me a full list with upgradeability in mind and the added 2tb added in. Then we can go ahead and purchase tomorrow?
Thanks in advance

I like your thoughts on this along with your suggestions which allow room for future comfortable upgrades. Is the bundle you suggest from ocuk? I can't seem to find it?
Also which cooler would you suggest ?

Is there any chance you could do me a full list with upgradeability in mind and the added 2tb added in. Then we can go ahead and purchase tomorrow?
Thanks in advance
What is your final budget and what does it need to include?

Back
Top Bottom