New Pre-Built PC - Advice Received - Double Check before purchase.

Soldato
Hi Guys

The last desktop PC I bought was about 11 years ago and was fairly tasty at the time but for the last few years has become my home jobs PC but even that is now beyond it and it is too old to update to Windows 11.

I have a 3 or 4 year old Asus Gaming Laptop which has been ok for Civ 6, Surviving Mars or Skryim when I'm away travelling for work and is still fine for most of the games I play.

I need a new desktop to act as my "Working" PC where I store my photos and files that then gets backed up to my NAS, and do any Fusion360 or MS Office type stuff. I would also like to be able to play games on it but I am so far off the pace on what is current and what is capable.

I want to play the games I currently play like Civ 6 etc, which I doubt is desperately demanding by modern standards but I don't know where to pitch it so I can play future releases. I won't be playing FPShooters at 4k with 4 x AA and 120 FPS. I just want to play strategy games and RPG's like Skyrim or Starfield at reasonable FPS and image quality.

I was considering something like OcUK Budget Gaming PC but have no idea how capable an RTX 4060 8Gb is.

I think £1000 is going to be a hard ceiling for me. I do have my current PC with a 256GB SSD a 2 TB Sata HDD and power supply so I could buy a components bundle and rebuild on that chassis, I just don't know if the saving is going to be worth the effort of the build or even what bundle of components I would buy.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers PlacidCasual

Man of Honour
have no idea how capable an RTX 4060 8Gb is.
It isn't a bad 1080p card since it can play pretty much everything, but the 8GB of VRAM (4GB less than the card it replaced) is a big negative and for anything near £300 it is overpriced. Performance hasn't shifted at the £300 anywhere near how it should have done, so these cards (RX 7600 and 4060) are looking very dated and I don't think they will have a long life.

A 4070 Super or 7900 GRE are what I'd get if you want to keep them for 5+ years and play demanding games like Starfield.

I was considering something like OcUK Budget Gaming PC
12400F is reasonable and won't be a problem with the 4060, but you'd need an upgrade when the graphics card is replaced. The 12600KF has been available around £150 and that is a much better baseline, in my opinion. The Ryzen 7500F or 7600 are also good options and likely to have more future CPU upgrades available than the Intel platform.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £996.86 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Soldato
OP
I've put the following basket together and close to pressing the button.

Tetras has very kindly suggested much of the above as a solution to my query. Could someone else cast a second pair of eyes over it, I'm not informed enough to reliably spot a mistake. Also I think I have chosen an appropriate SSD but a check that I haven't made a mistake would be great.

Any help gratefully received.

Soldato
OP
Save your cash and get a windows key for £10-£15 online. Use this saving to upgrade either the motherboard or the NVME. The WD greens are bottom tier, an SN850 X isn’t much more but miles better.
Thanks for the advice on the SSD. I was extending budget to buy Windows Key so if cheaper options exist, I'd probably reduce budget.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Man of Honour

Newmaxx's spreadsheet says it is likely to be QLC in 1TB/2TB capacity (WD's datasheet concurs) and the rated endurance is an unbelievably awful 100 TBW in the 2TB capacity.

I'd get the cheaper (£113) SN580 which is guaranteed to be TLC and has 9x (!!!!!) the rated endurance in the 2TB capacity.

Soldato
OP
Newmaxx's spreadsheet says it is likely to be QLC in 1TB/2TB capacity (WD's datasheet concurs) and the rated endurance is an unbelievably awful 100 TBW in the 2TB capacity.

I'd get the cheaper (£113) SN580 which is guaranteed to be TLC and has 9x (!!!!!) the rated endurance in the 2TB capacity.
Thanks for that, I had to look up QLC and TLC but wouldn't have thought to ask.

Man of Honour
Thanks for that, I had to look up QLC and TLC but wouldn't have thought to ask.
To be fair, a decent QLC drive can perform pretty well and they can even have rated endurance similar to TLC, so they're not an issue for e.g. a games storage drive, but with such low endurance it suggests they have very low confidence in the longevity of the drive (& the flash used), so I'm not surprised the warranty has been cut by 2 years too.

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@tamzzy The PSU is from 2009 it's a Corsair but exact make and model I'll need to check. I seem to remember it has a modular design and I have the spare cables somewhere.
The 2 TB hard drive is probably 7 or 8 years old and is my bulk drive but is by and large backed up to my NAS.
The case is a Coolermaster full size ATX.

Thanks for the info on Windows 11. Did not know that I remember having to buy a key for each PC and just assumed.

Man of Honour
yeah honestly, you're better off selling your whole current pc as is and starting afresh
out of interest, what are the specs of that 11 y/o pc?

Soldato
OP
Point taken about the PSU. Used a quick calculator which estimates approx 550W needed so was going to apply an engineers caution and go for 750W. Any brands to avoid?

I'd need to have a good look I seem to think it's a Phenom @ 3GHz. I'll need to check thoroughly when I get home. I mostly use a 4 year old ASUS TUF for gaming but that is relatively SSD limited and whilst it manages Civ 6 and Skyrim adequately probably doesn't have much headroom. Hence my desire to update my utterly obsolete desktop.

Associate
Not sure I’d still have 100% trust in a 15 year old PSU…
I ran an old one too - when i upgraded my card to an RX6600 it wouldnt power on at all.
When i told the guy helping me online what the model of the PSU was he almost logged out and never spoke to me again. lol
think it had been going 11 years to that point.

Soldato
OP
Thank you all for your assistance it is much appreciated. I have taken your advice regards to PSU, SSD and Windows Key and stuck with @Tetras suggestion for everything else. As I don't stay current with PC's these days the way I may have done 10 or more years ago I would have been quite lost without your assistance.

Ordering later today, ouch, the bank account will feel that one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thank you all for your assistance it is much appreciated. I have taken your advice regards to PSU, SSD and Windows Key and stuck with @Tetras suggestion for everything else. As I don't stay current with PC's these days the way I may have done 10 or more years ago I would have been quite lost without your assistance.
M2 -You can get the adata xpg gammix s70 blade 2tb for £115 .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom