new Quest 2 competitor coming soon!!

Soldato
I might buy one of these. Looks like a quest2 with a DP port.

:edit: I've ordered one

You are a glutton for punishment!! :)

I hope this goes well for you, but, if you didn't get on with either the Quest 2 or the Reverb G2, I am not sure how this will be any better for you. If I remember correctly, it wasn't just a display issue with you, you also had problems with comfort, even when using custom straps.

I will be very interested to read a review from you when you get it. It's great that someone from this forum is buying one. How long until it's delivered?

Soldato
You are a glutton for punishment!! :)

I hope this goes well for you, but, if you didn't get on with either the Quest 2 or the Reverb G2, I am not sure how this will be any better for you. If I remember correctly, it wasn't just a display issue with you, you also had problems with comfort, even when using custom straps.

I will be very interested to read a review from you when you get it. It's great that someone from this forum is buying one. How long until it's delivered?

Yeah, I can't help myself :D I'll find a good one eventually.

My order is in processing, doesn't say when it's coming yet.

Soldato
Yeah, I can't help myself :D I'll find a good one eventually.

My order is in processing, doesn't say when it's coming yet.

I hope it's not September!! I read somewhere that that's when they are going to start fulfilling pre-orders.

On the plus side, they said if things go well with this Beta headset test and they go ahead and release the final much improved version of the headset next year, they will offer the purchasers of the current headset a much reduced price on the final release.

Soldato
I hope it's not September!! I read somewhere that that's when they are going to start fulfilling pre-orders.

On the plus side, they said if things go well with this Beta headset test and they go ahead and release the final much improved version of the headset next year, they will offer the purchasers of the current headset a much reduced price on the final release.

Oh that's good, well the second part at least :D

Soldato
first impressions....the box stinks lol

Headset is very very good quality, and really light. Nice metal wheel on the back. Just feel really premium. Foam padding feels nice, just hope it's not lathered in chemicals as the quest2 gave me a nasty rash.

Controllers are also good quality, ignore reviewers who say they feel cheap, they don't. Just as good as quest2 controllers.

Just going to connect it all up now.

Soldato
Right, good and bad

Picture quality is great
Tracking is great
Top strap is great, no faffing about with velcro
It feels much lighter, and well balanced (no front battery, only big one at the back)

When you are looking at objects in your peripheral vision (ie, not straight infront of you) the text looks like it's being ghosted/doubled up. It's only slightly though. Maybe theres a VR term for it.

Face moulding I'm not sure is quite right. Feels like it's pushing the edges of my face away from the lenses if that makes sense. The quest2 cover definately moulds around your face better. Need to really give it a good test, but can't use it as I'm waiting for the mains adapter to arrive (coming today). SteamVR won't connect to the displayport without it.

Biggest problem though, trapped dust blob at the top, and black dead pixel at the bottom.

Can't wait to try it in iracing, I think it's going to be really good.

:edit: Just been watching the free videos you get in the home cinema. I'm seriously impressed. The colours and sharpness is something else.
Fitted the nose guard, that's better!! This is a really great headset.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well what can I say. I'm really impressed with this headset. My mains adapter finally arrived. Zero issues with SteamVR, and iRacing worked first time.

Now...what a difference!!

The quality is leagues ahead of the quest2, and in my opinion overall better than the reverb G2. Much, much bigger sweetspot. The biggest improvement though is in my FPS. Everything set high and it's silky smooth. This is without a doubt the best simracing experience I've had in VR.

Soldato
Well what can I say. I'm really impressed with this headset. My mains adapter finally arrived. Zero issues with SteamVR, and iRacing worked first time.

Now...what a difference!!

The quality is leagues ahead of the quest2, and in my opinion overall better than the reverb G2. Much, much bigger sweetspot. The biggest improvement though is in my FPS. Everything set high and it's silky smooth. This is without a doubt the best simracing experience I've had in VR.

Sounds great. It's good that you finally got a headset that fits right and lets you get into the sweetspot easily. The thing with VR at the moment is that it's all about finding the right headset for you.

I am not sure why the FPS would be that much better than the Reverb G2 or even the Quest 2 on your setup.

Soldato
Sounds great. It's good that you finally got a headset that fits right and lets you get into the sweetspot easily. The thing with VR at the moment is that it's all about finding the right headset for you.

I am not sure why the FPS would be that much better than the Reverb G2 or even the Quest 2 on your setup.

Damn, the FPS is something else. I struggled running iRacing at a constant 90fps with lots of cars on track. I'm not the only one, common thing in VR. I really had to start dropping settings, plus with the compression on the quest it started looking bad. Main thing for me with the quest though was the comfort if you remember. There is a youtube review video where they test fps between the two headsets and the pico is coming out at 20% less demanding....I can believe it!

Don't ask me how or why, but with the pico I can run everything on high (literally everything inc shadows and wing mirrors), set steamvr to 150% which makes things look incredible and on track I get a constant 90fps!! I just can't believe it. I've changed a couple of settings in the headset. Colour from standard to brilliant (I think that's what it's called), and knocked the brightness down 2 points.

I've just come off a 2hr session, never done that before!! also, there isn't a hint of ghosting which plagued me on the quest. Looked like ASW was constantly on, even though it wasn't....I just think that's what happens when your fps drops. This is without a doubt the best simracing experience I've had in VR. I was tailgating an R8 round silverstone and could clearly see the R8 badge on the back.

Comfort is fantastic too. I wasn't sure at first with the face cover being wide, but it's actually a good thing as it takes the pressure off your face. That together with the lighter weight, and better balance makes it really comfortable to wear. 2hrs later and I feel perfectly fine.

I'm really happy it. The only niggle is the dust and dead pixel but I don't want anything else now. I'm going to see if I can exchange it for another one.

If I was forced to pick any faults, it's that sometimes when you look at a bright white object you get a little reflection in the headset. Nowhere near as bad at the G2 though, but I can't remember seeing any in the quest. That said, I only noticed it on the pico home world, not in iRacing. It's so slight, and I'm being picky mentioning it.

oh, one last thing.....you only need to install steamVR, not the pico software as well. Damn, it's so quick and easy to get into an iracing session. Never had any bugs yet, just load up iracing and stick the headset on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oo OK

Interesting to read , being as you've had those two

Didn't like the reverb. Software was awful, took me ages to faff about getting anything to work on it. The main thing for me was the sweetspot. Even when I removed the spacer and had my eyeballs to the screen, too large an area was blurry. No point in having a 5p sized area sharp and the rest not, plus it wasn't much sharper than the quest (if any sharper)....oh, and the glow around white objects was terrible, and the velcro straps..... Yeah, I didn't like it :D

Soldato
I've read that FPS through steamVR seems to be "deliberately" poor when running steamVR through the oculus runtime. Could explain the issue you had with your q2. Testing on it, with same resolution, hz etc between q2 and index, had the q2 with something like 20-30% less frames. But playing same game through oculus store had the q2 almost matching (tiny bit lower due to compression I believe).

Back
Top Bottom