NEW Samsung 950 Pro M.2 NVMe (think SM951 with VNAND & Black PCB) yum!

Associate
I'm quite surprised by how small it is.
Off we go.

2015_11_03_14_39_44.jpg

Associate
Awesome, let us know how you get on. Have Samsung released the updated version of their management software that supports the 950 Pro drives?

Associate
Bios saw the 950 straight away, no problems so far, God willing. :D
476.9GB reported storage when installing Windows 10 pro.

15:55 started the Windows install, PC restarted at 16:01, again restarted at 16:02, at my desktop at 16:05 after a minute of Windows 10 option bumf. :D

Additionally, I've seen many people across the net complain the 950 is "upside down". Not so for Gene VIII, and I'm assuming all ASUS Z170 board owners, looks fine for us. :)
image.jpg

The software side of things is gonna take me ages, whole new PC to set up for the 1st time in years, but hey the 950 looks good and Windows 10 installed and working just fine. :cool:

Caporegime
Mine arrived today, 512GB version.

Such a simple install. Slotted in to my Asus X99-s, booted up the PC

I already had my Windows 10 partition on a Samsung 256GB 840 Evo so I used Samsung's Data Migration tool and cloned it to the new 950 Pro.

Turned the PC off, pulled the power out of the 840 Evo and rebooted - Viola, Windows booted up on the new drive with all my files intact.

'Random Read IOPS' is about 50% of the maximum (150,000/300,000) according to Samsung Magician 4.8, but everything else is as quoted.

Associate
'Random Read IOPS' is about 50% of the maximum (150,000/300,000) according to Samsung Magician 4.8, but everything else is as quoted.

Magician also reported that for me, however CrystalDisk gives me this:
Fresh Win10 install.
Screenshot_2015_11_03_22_16_16.png

Magician is defo not 100% right, showed my friends 840 at read speeds of four thousand 4 hundred MB's...
benchmark.jpg

Caporegime
No idea, does it have a built in temp sensor?

A competitor of Overclockers sent me an email saying the pre-order price was wrong and that they would be charging £299.99 and then charged me the original order price of £274.99

Win.

Associate
I think I know who they mean- and they took your £275 money straightaway right? Once they've taken your money they have a legal obligation to supply it at that price, you could've kicked up a stink.

Also they sent it to me next day, despite choosing the free 3-4 day option.

Associate
Mine just arrived today - will do a clone of my OS tonight prior to copying over via Macrim Reflect also ordered a Lycom DT-120 M.2 PCI-e SSD to PCI-e Adapter Card arriving later today as my M.2 in my G97X Gigabyte gaming 7 mobo only has a speed of 10 GB/s so i will fit in my PCEx16 running at 8 slot - my primary slot has a GTX Titan X in it.

Can anyone advise if there will be any performance loss on my Graphics card?

Soldato
I'd like to say the smart data would include the temps but I think that smart might not be available for nvme?

No disrespect... But whether SMART is suported or not, has nothing what so ever to do with this being an nvme drive.

According to Samsung's tech spec. SMART is fully supported for the 950.

Unluckily... This is not the case for the sm951's. But then again, I was fully aware of this when I bought my drive and wasn't that worried.

Soldato
How is the throttling/temps?

Not quite sure why folks still seem to be worried about thermal throttling on these sorts of drives?

It's been mentioned several times already that outside of synthetic benchmarks \ testing, this for the average user is really a non issue. Unless you live in a really hot climate and/or have dreadful air flow etc. In your case. But in this case, I suspect pretty much any half decent ssd could throttle back to prevent damage etc.

If really worried (paranoid?) About this issue, then buy some stick on heat sinks and point a fan at it.

Permabanned
Got my NVMe bios for my Z87 have to say superb support from Gigaman and Gigabyte, I Really cannot see me ever buying anything but a Gigabyte board going forward as long as this continues. Free now to start looking seriously at all the different options, Not to mention 2016 is the year of Optane SSD to unifiy all the flash. :D

If anyone else has a UD4H Z87 i will link for a few days then remove the bios. http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/upload/files/BIOS/Z87XUD4_HGK_F11a.zip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom