New Sofa time

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I did a lot of research on supposedly good brands last year. The ones that stuck out for me were Ekornes, Parker Knoll and GPlan. Furniture village was the closest place to sit on a few. Ended up with a very nice GPlan.

Associate
We looked in:
Barker and Stonehouse, really not our style and look to be massively overpriced IMO
Yup.

Many, many years ago my wife and I were looking at motorised adjustable beds.
£2000 in a shop in Huddersfield. We liked the ones we saw. I asked the sales staff for a cash discount. Nope, sorry, can't do that. She suggested we go to Barker and Stonehouse just a mile or so away to look at the exact same bed. We did. It was £5000.
I went straight back to the original shop and happily coughed up my £2K.

It was many years ago but I have never been in to a Barker and Stonehouse since.

Associate
I repair furniture, modify the internals and do a lot of leather restoration for a living.

And in my experience just go for what you like the look of, what you find comfortable and within the budget you have.

In most cases you can spend £500 on a 3 seater or £5k + on a sofa but underneath they are all pretty much the same.

You only really pay for 'better' fabric or leather. As generally the frame work, the springs, the foam, the hollow fibre in the cushions are pretty much about the same (in most cases).

Good leather should feel like the skin on the top of your hand, it should have a bit of give and feel supple. Cheaper leather can feel a bit harder or plasticky but in some cases can be a bit tougher (Bicast leather is often cheaper but quite tough). More natural leather like analine or semi analine are considered higher quality but mark easier. They can show scratches or marks from fluid...

Honestly, knowing what I know now. If someone said to me what sofa will I buy next ? It would buy a second hand one, and I would either do it up (or get someone to do it, if I didn't already know), have it reupholstered, or the leather recoloured etc etc.
Purchased my sofa's from John Lewis and very happy with them.

@Grumps82 that's really useful advice. May I ask if there are any products for treating leather, you'd recommend? Wipes etc, to keep them looking their best?

I have a couple of armchairs which I want to wear and age, whereas with my sofa, keen to treat the leather to keep it looking supple etc.

Soldato

@Grumps82 that's really useful advice. May I ask if there are any products for treating leather, you'd recommend? Wipes etc, to keep them looking their best?

I have a couple of armchairs which I want to wear and age, whereas with my sofa, keen to treat the leather to keep it looking supple etc.

I'm no expert, but you should give them a 'moisturising treatment' every so often, to prevent cracking, there are plenty of leather care 'kits' available' but I wouldn't want to guess which ones are better than others. I suspect a lot depends on the type of leather, is it more like a suede, or a more shiney laqured 'patent' finish?

Soldato

Check out 'Furniture Clinic'.

I use a lot of their products and it's all really good, easy to use and just works.

Have a look through, it should be easy to find what you want on there.

Associate
We ordered a new sofa from Furniture Village over the weekend :)

Actually, one of these - https://www.furniturevillage.co.uk/moreno-3-seater-leather-sofa/ZFRSP000000000009627.html

We opted for the more expensive leather though, as one of the previous posters commented the more expensive leather felt *much* softer and was actually enjoyable to sit on.

Hi, just wondering how you got on with the Moreno sofa? Thinking of buying from the same range - appreciate any advice you might have

Don
Hi, just wondering how you got on with the Moreno sofa? Thinking of buying from the same range - appreciate any advice you might have
Love it :) Over a year after it was delivered and the leather is still like new. We went with the expensive soft leather (SK** SKU codes) and power recliners. No problems at all with motors, the leather etc. Delivery took a while, but we knew that when we ordered.

Soldato
We have one from grammar in the living room. Simply amazing but it’s so expensive I don’t like using the living room as we have a kid who wants to destroy it.

Play room.
We have a Raft sofa. It’s crap quality but very comfortable and looks ok. It’s something like £2.8k new which for the quality is a ripoff we paid £350 on FB so it’s fine.

We also have a cheap £200 sofa we just got from HOF/ sports direct. It’s no worse than other sofas at 3 or 4 times the cost.

Last edited:
Associate
Love it :) Over a year after it was delivered and the leather is still like new. We went with the expensive soft leather (SK** SKU codes) and power recliners. No problems at all with motors, the leather etc. Delivery took a while, but we knew that when we ordered.

Brilliant, cheers for that!

Soldato
I recently bought a Loaf sofa, at a big discount, from this place.
Very happy with it.

Seemed there was a lot of low quality furniture out there so I was happy to pick up a more premium brand at a much lower cost.

Permabanned
Like you, I visited several stores—John Lewis for their variety, Harveys for the budget-friendly options, and even checked out some local boutique furniture shops, hoping to find that perfect blend of style, comfort, and quality. Despite finding a few good options, nothing hit the mark for me.

In my search for something unique and comfortable yet of good quality, I turned to Google and stumbled upon a company specializing in Custom Sofas. Intrigued by the idea of customizing my own, I opted for an LV Tight Back Sofa, choosing a deep blue fabric and a durable leather trim. It cost me around £2000, which felt like a steal for the quality and personalization I received.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lucas furniture was a good shout for anyone looking at sofas. Alstons as a brand are excellent at price range and the fit/finish above others at double their retail cost.

I flicked through this post before replying and someone mentioned foams. But something to check for is cold cured seat cushions. They much better than general foam cushions. The backs on sofas are generally all same sorts of foams but the cushion you sit on fitted foams are excellent. There are dozens of different foams out on the market at varying levels of quality.

My neighbour literally works in producing and coding foams from things such as use in space industry, to car seats, sofa companies, NHS beds and such at all different levels and works with them. So that the reason I ended up going Alstons upon recommendation. After a year then sofa is as good as new and just as comfy having also had multiple sleeps on a late night on it as well.

Soldato
Lucas furniture was a good shout for anyone looking at sofas. Alstons as a brand are excellent at price range and the fit/finish above others at double their retail cost.

I flicked through this post before replying and someone mentioned foams. But something to check for is cold cured seat cushions. They much better than general foam cushions. The backs on sofas are generally all same sorts of foams but the cushion you sit on fitted foams are excellent. There are dozens of different foams out on the market at varying levels of quality.

My neighbour literally works in producing and coding foams from things such as use in space industry, to car seats, sofa companies, NHS beds and such at all different levels and works with them. So that the reason I ended up going Alstons upon recommendation. After a year then sofa is as good as new and just as comfy having also had multiple sleeps on a late night on it as well.
Alstons look excellent, are the sofas quite firm? I love a firm sofa compared to the softer ones

Soldato
Alstons look excellent, are the sofas quite firm? I love a firm sofa compared to the softer ones
Yeah the cold cured foam seats are on the firmer side like a dense memory foam feeling. I find you are sitting on but well support and yet cushioned in compared to softer sofas that feel like you collapse into them. It probably why I have slept just as well on sofa at times as the bed ha. They also nice and deep so plenty of sitting depth compared to some out there.

They also hold up longer due to structure so you don't get sag in the seat cushion ,material like standard foams from like DFS and similar. The seat and back cushions are also 100% reversible, none of those black bottom/backed elements so to help keep it fresh it really simple to flip the seats about and just give them a quick plump. This should be done as it just helps to aerate cushions generally.

I specifically have the Alstons Artemis sofa, although got form Lucas furniture that call it Riva in Denim Chunky Boucle and was great value for monies. Material finishes are excellent. No wear on the fabrics to date, cushions as good as new.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah the cold cured foam seats are on the firmer side like a dense memory foam feeling. I find you are sitting on but well support and yet cushioned in compared to softer sofas that feel like you collapse into them. It probably why I have slept just as well on sofa at times as the bed ha. They also nice and deep so plenty of sitting depth compared to some out there.

They also hold up longer due to structure so you don't get sag in the seat cushion ,material like standard foams from like DFS and similar. The seat and back cushions are also 100% reversible, none of those black bottom/backed elements so to help keep it fresh it really simple to flip the seats about and just give them a quick plump. This should be done as it just helps to aerate cushions generally.

I specifically have the Alstons Artemis sofa, although got form Lucas furniture that call it Riva in Denim Chunky Boucle and was great value for monies. Material finishes are excellent. No wear on the fabrics to date, cushions as good as new.
Brilliant
Turns out there is a stockist 15 minutes away from me, I'm going to pop in and have a look. I quite like the Fairmont model but there are a few other nice ones. Fabric choices aren't the best but can always reupholster in the future

Back
Top Bottom