New Star Trek series - 2017

Caporegime
After the Discovery's first successful jump using the tardigrade, Stamets transmitted the drive schematics to Starfleet. Production of the drive was begun at a classified Starfleet facility in Jefferson, Iowa on Earth. All Federation ships, starbases, and colonies were placed on alert to search for more tardigrades. (DIS: "Choose Your Pain")

Yep complete silence.

Let's just agree to disagree. Shoe horn stuff into prequels is always shifty. Let's not forget the temporal cold war and Xindi super weapons.

Caporegime
Why would they need the spore drive in 500 years? They already could time travel and their highest priority was not changing the past. The spore drive failed and they developed other technologies.

Time travel isn't instantaneously moving from 1 quadrant to another, let alone quantum realities.

Pretty much every incident of time travel in trek was/is about changing the past/future/present.
Temporal time directive be damned.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Star fleet is almost always holier than thou so the idea of using humans to pilot star fleet ships with the spore drive or enslaving and causing the death of the tartigrades to allow them to zip around space wouldn't even be entertained.

I'm not sure why its such a stretch to believe that a brilliant technology was abandoned due to it fundamentally conflicting with Star Fleets ethics. Currently they are trying to perfect the technology to deploy to all ships because in their mind its a safe technology with minimal/no issues.

The captain of discovery hasn't exactly been a shining example of following protocol and doing what he is told. I doubt all of his reports will state "we used the tartigrade and were clearly causing it horrible pain, nearly killed it".

There will be hundreds of technologies that have been developed over the last 100 years that never saw the light of day because of one reason or another. That doesn't mean that everyone randomly talks about them. I'm sure hundreds of people have worked on chemical weapons that never saw widespread use.

This is how these universes work. They didn't write the entire history of the star trek universe when it was created and say "there you go, I haven't missed a thing". Its easily within the realms of possibility that star fleet have developed devastating weapons and technology in the past that never made it to widespread use for good reason. The spore drive is just one of these. There is no reason for them to discuss technology deemed off limits at any point in any other star trek story lines.

Soldato
Another point is that we simply don't know how Discovery ends.
Maybe they'll break spore network in season 4 :p
Complaining about this stuff as if anyone has all the answers is a bit silly.
Let's just all enjoy it.

Soldato
After the Discovery's first successful jump using the tardigrade, Stamets transmitted the drive schematics to Starfleet. Production of the drive was begun at a classified Starfleet facility in Jefferson, Iowa on Earth. All Federation ships, starbases, and colonies were placed on alert to search for more tardigrades. (DIS: "Choose Your Pain")

Yep complete silence.

Let's just agree to disagree. Shoe horn stuff into prequels is always shifty. Let's not forget the temporal cold war and Xindi super weapons.

Sorry!! Didn't see these posts. The alert system isn't working right for me for some reason.

They told the ships, colonies etc to search for Tardigrades, but, I am sure they didn't explain why. There is a lot more to the Spore drive than just the Tardigrades. And production of the drives in classified facilities, note the word classified? Even some of the crew didn't know how it all worked. Remember the difficulty Mudd had figuring it out. Still hadn't even though he had everything apart from Stammets.

We will have to agree to disagree!! :)

Time travel isn't instantaneously moving from 1 quadrant to another, let alone quantum realities.

Pretty much every incident of time travel in trek was/is about changing the past/future/present.
Temporal time directive be damned.

They could travel to any time and location, they even could travel into alternate timelines. Even had the ability to transport across time and space. Seemingly without any side effects. What use would an old, faulty and mind damaging technology be?

Guess we will find out more as Star Trek Discovery ventures further into the unknown.

Soldato
Star fleet is almost always holier than thou so the idea of using humans to pilot star fleet ships with the spore drive or enslaving and causing the death of the tartigrades to allow them to zip around space wouldn't even be entertained.

I'm not sure why its such a stretch to believe that a brilliant technology was abandoned due to it fundamentally conflicting with Star Fleets ethics. Currently they are trying to perfect the technology to deploy to all ships because in their mind its a safe technology with minimal/no issues.

The captain of discovery hasn't exactly been a shining example of following protocol and doing what he is told. I doubt all of his reports will state "we used the tartigrade and were clearly causing it horrible pain, nearly killed it".

There will be hundreds of technologies that have been developed over the last 100 years that never saw the light of day because of one reason or another. That doesn't mean that everyone randomly talks about them. I'm sure hundreds of people have worked on chemical weapons that never saw widespread use.

This is how these universes work. They didn't write the entire history of the star trek universe when it was created and say "there you go, I haven't missed a thing". Its easily within the realms of possibility that star fleet have developed devastating weapons and technology in the past that never made it to widespread use for good reason. The spore drive is just one of these. There is no reason for them to discuss technology deemed off limits at any point in any other star trek story lines.

Basically this :)

Caporegime
I'm just saying if it doesn't get broke which I'm guessing it will, otherwise during times of ridiculous threat, Borg or Dominion war etc, I'm pretty sure it would have been plocked up and used. Human pilot or not.

Soldato
deemed off limits at any point in any other star trek story lines.

Even if humans were on brink of extinction? Sorry that doesn't wash. So with Borg, Xindi, 3872 no-one mentioned "gee I wish we had spore drive" ;)

Earlier Star Trek history was less clean by Picard they were pretty soft, in Enterprise you saw darker side.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm just saying if it doesn't get broke which I'm guessing it will, otherwise during times of ridiculous threat, Borg or Dominion war etc, I'm pretty sure it would have been plocked up and used. Human pilot or not.

That depends. Its a technology that they haven't had for potentially hundreds of years, perhaps it interferes with their current warp drives. Perhaps there was a disaster that broke the network. There could be so many reason they don't / can't use the drive anymore.

Even if humans were on brink of extinction? Sorry that doesn't wash. So with Borg, Xindi, 3872 no-one mentioned "gee I wish we had spore drive" ;)

Why would they?

"Gosh I wish we had kept developing that weapon that destroyed entire galaxies but back to the war eh".

"Gosh I wish we had let captain X develop his rogue weapons program and turn star fleet into a military operation so we would be able to kill the borg but back to the war eh"

Why on earth would they insert random comments about things from the past that weren't available to them. During every conflict that has ever been each side will be trying to develop weapons and ways to win the war. That doesn't mean that those projects would be mentioned if they weren't available. A) Why would the lower level leaders care about them if they are not working or usable. B) How do you know they weren't working on a version of the spore drive during the borg war etc? Because they didn't have a little aside where they talk about it?

Caporegime
How do I know?
Cos it's some BS written up to make this crew get to an alternative reality so they can do away with canon and just make a sci fi show under the trek franchise name.

That's the truth of it.

Soldato
How do I know?
Cos it's some BS written up to make this crew get to an alternative reality so they can do away with canon and just make a sci fi show under the trek franchise name.

That's the truth of it.

Bang on.

I'm pretty sure if any of those "extinction events" in ST history they'll resort, or reference to "dune" type travel, anywhere in the galaxy- or universe- instantly.

So Janeway has access to Omega directive, but she never said whilst looking out of her window to Tuvok "dammit if we just had spore drive this Star Trek series would just be a two parter"

LOL

Soldato
How do I know?

That's the truth of it.

WHAT?? LOL How many times has stuff like that happened in Star Trek throughout the years? Your poor Star Trek Canon. It's all just BS made up to make stuff happen.

Soldato
Bang on.

I'm pretty sure if any of those "extinction events" in ST history they'll resort, or reference to "dune" type travel, anywhere in the galaxy- or universe- instantly.

So Janeway has access to Omega directive, but she never said whilst looking out of her window to Tuvok "dammit if we just had spore drive this Star Trek series would just be a two parter"

LOL

Janeway has the access to the Omega Directive because that was something that happened in her time. The Omega particle was current top priority for Star Trek Captains. It's a bit of stretch to think that Janeway would know about every classified project throughout history and a failed project at that. Star Trek Discovery is set 250 years before Voyager. How many technological advances and top secret projects happened in that time??

Soldato
Janeway has the access to the Omega Directive because that was something that happened in her time. The Omega particle was current top priority for Star Trek Captains. It's a bit of stretch to think that Janeway would know about every classified project throughout history and a failed project at that. Star Trek Discovery is set 250 years before Voyager. How many technological advances and top secret projects happened in that time??

She would have searched voyagers computer. You're telling me still top secret after 250 years? Lol. Or no off shoots of that tech in normal st tech?

Stop making excuses for bad writing.

Soldato
She would have searched voyagers computer. You're telling me still top secret after 250 years? Lol. Or no off shoots of that tech in normal st tech?

Stop making excuses for bad writing.

Maybe she did search the computer and went through all the things that might work, but, didn't waste time with stuff that doesn't work. Remember it was 250 years later, records get lost, stuff gets changed.

Bad writing? The whole of Star Trek is littered with terrible writing. You just have to work around it and try to fill in the plot loop holes and whatnot yourself. What I can't understand is how you can't grasp that the Spore Drive didn't work out. I am sure in later Episodes of Discovery we will see what exactly happens that makes them abandon it.

And if Voyager really wanted to go home why didn't they just use Time Travel? The Star Trek Enterprise was able to. Surely the more advanced Voyager would have been able to figure it out too. They could have travelled back in time when to when that wormhole was stable, used the wormhole and then travelled forward in time to the present in the Alpha quadrant. They wouldn't have used it because of what Fez said earlier, Star Trek Ethics. IT would have been dangerous, just like the Spore Drive.

Soldato
Well duh, but if you are doing it in prequels you should pay lip service to what's already written. No wee all over it.

So there are 1000s of ships, lots of different species, a whole universe out there with infinite possibilities. And, just because a later version of Star Trek doesn't mention anything about a specific ship or technology they shouldn't ever make a show about it. We have seen many strange and wonderful things in Star Trek, from the wholly bizarre to the daft to the all powerful. Yet, you guys have trouble getting your head around that the Federation might have worked on alternate technology that didn't work out just because it wasn't mentioned in later shows.

fez

fez

Caporegime
So I assume including a new alien species isn't allowed in disovery either as clearly we would have heard about them in future star treks and in the accepted star trek canon?

Crewman: "This new energy being we have come across captain, reminds me of that time 500 years ago that a single star trek ship encountered another energy being"

Captain: "What happened"

Crewman: "Nothing, I just thought it was important to bring up irrelevant information that is of no benefit to us now"

Back
Top Bottom