New Star Trek series - 2017

JRS

JRS

Soldato
5x06 - "Whistlespeak"

Ugh.

For a little while there this episode was almost working. It wasn't great. But, by DIS standards, nothing that made you want to throw things. Aaaaaaaaaand then it all falls apart. Burnham goes ahead and disregards the Prime Directive so glibly, and so deliberately, that you'd just want to weep for the clear mental instability of whoever thought it was a sane idea to let this person anywhere near an organisation like Starfleet.

Lookit, characters have gone against the Directive before. Often in response to previous interference (as had happened here, admittedly). But they at least seemed to properly feel the weight of doing so. Look at Kirk's angst over arming Tyree's people in TOS' "A Private Little War" after the Klingons had sold arms there. He needed to maintain the balance of power. He didn't like doing it, if there had been any better option he'd have grabbed it with both hands. But this was the only way that minimised the damage to their society. And so, having made the only choice available that would keep things from getting much, much worse, he felt crappy about it. Because you should feel crappy about breaking the Prime Directive.

Burnham? Nah. This ***** lives for breaking the rules. Even the most sacred one. All to save Tilly who - like Burnham - swore an oath to uphold the Prime Directive even if that would come at the cost of her life. So, good job there gang. Way to hustle. And there's no angst about it, even in a show that would ordinarily love nothing more than having several scenes of characters wanging on about how hard of a choice they had to make. Burnham The Ever Right did a good thing, and set the poor little troglodytes on their backward little planet onto the One True Path to enlightenment :rolleyes:

**** this show right in the ear...

Last edited:
Soldato
5x07 - "Whistlespeak"

Ugh.

For a little while there this episode was almost working. It wasn't great. But, by DIS standards, nothing that made you want to throw things. Aaaaaaaaaand then it all falls apart. Burnham goes ahead and disregards the Prime Directive so glibly, and so deliberately, that you'd just want to weep for the clear mental instability of whoever thought it was a sane idea to let this person anywhere near an organisation like Starfleet.

Lookit, characters have gone against the Directive before. Often in response to previous interference (as had happened here, admittedly). But they at least seemed to properly feel the weight of doing so. Look at Kirk's angst over arming Tyree's people in TOS' "A Private Little War" after the Klingons had sold arms there. He needed to maintain the balance of power. He didn't like doing it, if there had been any better option he'd have grabbed it with both hands. But this was the only way that minimised the damage to their society. And so, having made the only choice available that would keep things from getting much, much worse, he felt crappy about it. Because you should feel crappy about breaking the Prime Directive.

Burnham? Nah. This ***** lives for breaking the rules. Even the most sacred one. All to save Tilly who - like Burnham - swore an oath to uphold the Prime Directive even if that would come at the cost of her life. So, good job there gang. Way to hustle. And there's no angst about it, even in a show that would ordinarily love nothing more than having several scenes of characters wanging on about how hard of a choice they had to make. Burnham The Ever Right did a good thing, and set the poor little troglodytes on their backward little planet onto the One True Path to enlightenment :rolleyes:

**** this show right in the ear...
That's ep 6, although 6 and 7 are out to watch, but i'm saving 7 for it's official release date.

I didn't mind the Prime Directive thing, all Captain's have done it for whatever reason, hell in the latest movies it was a main theme.

Whispering Michael was back in full force this week which is bloody annoying. Not a bad episode.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
That's ep 6, although 6 and 7 are out to watch, but i'm saving 7 for it's official release date.

Typo :o Thanks for pointing it out, corrected.

I didn't mind the Prime Directive thing, all Captain's have done it for whatever reason, hell in the latest movies it was a main theme.

Whispering Michael was back in full force this week which is bloody annoying. Not a bad episode.

Yeah, but as I said - at least when the Directive was broken in the past it was shown as being something you did as a last resort or when no other options were available, and had emotional weight in doing so. Here, there's pretty much none of that. And in a series that's 99.9% about feelings I can't figure out how the writers missed that particular open goal. I don't need characters to stick rigidly to it at all costs, but I want to see some feeling about it beyond "I'm Michael Burnham, screw the Prime Directive, I'm'a do what I want"...

There's another TOS episode that I want to reference about all this as well, as it shows the difference between a well-written character in the Trek universe and Burnham. "The Paradise Syndrome". Like here with Tilly, Kirk is stuck with the planet natives and needs rescuing. Like here, there is a planet-saving device put in place by another advanced civilisation (here the Denobulans, then it was The Preservers and the asteroid-diverting obelisk). Does Spock beam down, announce that he was sent by their Gods, show them that their planet is round, teach them how to run the obelisk and set them on the One True Path to being an enlightened, space-faring civilisation? No. He activates the obelisk and rescues Kirk, and does so while doing the bare minimum to disrupt the native species. Because it's not just any old rule. It's not simply Starfleet Regulation 32 B, subsection ii), paragraph three. It's the Prime Directive, and everyone in Starfleet took an oath to uphold it.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
So Tilly's trapped in a room with the native girl, and they're running out of oxygen. Why didn't she blow out the torches, buy themselves a bit of extra time for The One True Saviour Michael Burnham The Ever Right™ to rescue them? She afraid of the dark?

No Saru for far too long. Which is unfortunate, given how Doug Jones is the only one in the regular cast who can, you know, act.

There was a nice little moment with Culber missing his family that was left back in the 2250s. And like all of these similar nice moments that STD occasionally throws up, it comes right out of nowhere. They've been in the far-far-far future since the start of season 3, and this is the first time we're getting anything like this.

I'm gonna go a little highbrow with this one, and I apologise in advance for how seriously I'm taking this :p Burnham at one point notes that the natives had a lot of words for pain and hurt, and she extrapolates from that about their culture and the way they think. Thing is, there are plenty of words for describing pain and hurt in our language, too. This is the same thinking that leads people to claim how the Inuit and Yupik peoples are obsessed with snow because they have a lot of words for describing it, also neglecting that we have more than one word to do so in English. It's based around the idea of linguistic relativity, also known as the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis named for Edward Sapir and Benjamin Lee Whorf. These two came to some pretty lazy conclusions about cultures when using this idea, Whorf even using it to decide that Native Americans were so much less advanced than the glorious Europeans because European languages were structured better. Seems weird that such a 'woke' show would roll with something as lazily racist ;)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I think you are over analysing things.

Probably.

But hey, God forbid that we should expect a little intelligence from TV writing these days eh? ;)

Burnham drops out of the race to the tower because she's seen some moss that's yellow. And the only explanation for the yellow moss, to her, is that it's caused by radiation leaking from a broken computer console. In any other series with any other character this leap of non-logic would be derided, but of course this is Burnham The Ever Right we're talking about so her single-hair-thin hunch is 100% on the money.

MURTAGH: Pretty thin, huh?
RIGGS: Anorexic.

Adira's transformation into Tilly Mk2 remains on course, leading us to this episode where Adira wants someone to replace them in getting the information to Burnham on how to repair the console because they're feeling all flustered and awkward. This would have been Tilly's role in the story not very long ago, but since they're grooming her character for the Academy series someone's gotta step down into that particular hole and Adira has no other reason to be on this crew.

For allegedly clever characters Burnham and Tilly are remarkably slow on the uptake. How did they not twig that the winner of the race would be sacrificed? Don't these people read the 32nd century equivalent of TV Tropes??? :p

Soldato
giphy.gif

source.gif

Back
Top Bottom