New Top Gear (2011) BBC 2 8PM!

Enjoyed the EP overall:

- F40 vs 959 bit was alright, just nice seeing the cars being driven on a track.
- Prescot was a total tool, but what do you expect.
- Jag XJ bit was interesting enough.
- Moon buggy bit was great, was nice seeing Kennedy Space Centre brings back memorys.

The only thing they let Hammond do with that F40 was drive it in a straight line. The drifting scenes were done by someone-else, as spotted by people on PH. Perhaps the owner?

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...971&nmt=Top Gear Ferrari Driver, who is this?

can't say i blame the owner.

Would you let hammond fling your £300,000 ferrari around after seeing how average his driving talent was when he drove the renault F1 car ?

Either the owner did the driving, which is understandable as then if you break it, you've nobody but yourself to blame. And if it was somebody else, presumably a racing driver etc.. then you'd bound to be more confident letting a pro racing driver or similar drive it than hammond.

Would you let hammond fling your £300,000 ferrari around after seeing how average his driving talent was when he drove the renault F1 car ?

Him struggling to drive the F1 car has absoultely no bearing on his general driving skill.

Even the most skilful drivers in road cars would struggle to pilot a F1 car.

Loved the 959 v F40 test - they were my two faves when I was younger....had a poster of a 959 and an F40 clock in my bedroom :)

I wonder if there will eventually be a backlash against all the technology. It would be great if the Ferrari F70 was just a great engine and some seats like the F40. People would love it.

The only thing they let Hammond do with that F40 was drive it in a straight line. The drifting scenes were done by someone-else, as spotted by people on PH. Perhaps the owner?

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...971&nmt=Top Gear Ferrari Driver, who is this?

Those Piston head guys are sharp arent they, noticing that after 16 series of exactly the same thing happening in every episode.

You think mabye they will deduce how even though they are in a race, and gets diverted all over the place, they still manage to have cameras out on the side of the road to catch the shots as they go past?

The cast do the road test,other things like the drive pasts, the arty shots, the drifting etc etc are, in the most part done by the production crew.
Its such a big secret they have told us about it more than once in the show, in the Top Gear magazine, and in their numerous books.

Who would have thought it.

even the most skillful ?

Hardly. I saw a TV chef do miles better than him when plonked in an F1 car for the first time.

James Martin who is a proper car buff? Something along the lines of Chris Evans.

In the 96 Benetton,

Who you going to throw up next? Steve Sutcliffe?

I'd hazard a guess James Martin has more time on track in single seaters than Hammond.

Petrolhead ? Yes

Is he the next stig ? No

Anyway, regardless of whether you want to use the F1 experience as a barometer of talent or not, the precedent has been set. Top Gear could easily have got the insurance to drive the 250 GTO. Tony Mason just didn't trust them.

And after the Jaguar C Type incident

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-5355984-top-gear-hooligans-damage-classic-car.do

I'm not surprised they have a bit of a rep among supercar owners.

That much is also obvious from the fact they wouldn't let them lap the F40 or the 599.

Petrolhead ? Yes

Is he the next stig ? No

Anyway, regardless of whether you want to use the F1 experience as a barometer of talent or not, the precedent has been set. Top Gear could easily have got the insurance to drive the 250 GTO. Tony Mason just didn't trust them.

And after the Jaguar C Type incident

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-5355984-top-gear-hooligans-damage-classic-car.do

I'm not surprised they have a bit of a rep among supercar owners.

That much is also obvious from the fact they wouldn't let them lap the F40 or the 599.

Tony Mason, the ex rally navigator who with Roger Clark won the '72 RAC?

Back
Top Bottom