New Top Gear (2011) BBC 2 8PM!

Soldato
This thread has gone OT enough. Its pointless trying put salient points across that cover a broad spectrum as you always spear off on one particular point avoiding the 'ownage' you got on others.

I think its pretty obvious for the good spread of that the torque curve is not flat, aswell as dropping well below 70% on your graph (once I gave you a clue what type of isochart was required). My point was to Biggles anyway with his theoretical turbo which apparently is available in showrooms, when its not.

The problem with your example Rypt is that you didnt actually build a 8L W16 though did you? So thats just a theoretical graph you could have made up with no regard for emissions or transient load cases. Which is why I said what I said, that turbo with those specs does not exist and there for we are in the land of engineering compromise.

If you want to start a urinating up the wall competition its going to get boring very quicky.

The fact that efficiency drops below 70% at higher flow rates is neither here nor there.

And while it does cause a dip in torque at the top end, it is still a huge amount of torque and beats the spec requirement by Katech

Were the engine to be prototyped I would not expect it to fail to meet the required HP/torque targets nor to fail emissions as all the figures look good

Last edited:
Soldato
The fact that efficiency drops below 70% at higher flow rates is neither here nor there.

And while it does cause a dip in torque at the top end, it is still a huge amount of torque and beats the spec requirement by Katech

Were the engine to be prototyped I would not expect it to fail to meet the required HP/torque targets nor to fail emissions as all the figures look good

I just LOL'd when I read you actually claimed you had boost from idle... serious, what?! Huge amount of torque ? Well I guess thats what 8L Excel engines give you.

The torque falling might be due to that turbine inlet pressure thing i was hinting at...... The heating of the charge also is an issue when you use an intercooler so the 70% does raise an issues as it will start to effect that Y axis value as you present more charge air restriction.

So you dont expect the introduction of a cat big enough to deal with your silly sized (from that crackpot uni again?) theoretical engine to effect this theorised flow?

This will obviously not end so I am stating now I wont be bothering to reply in relation to these points. I do not want you to interpret it as me relenting to your superior 'knowledge', more for the sanity of the thread.

Soldato
Boost was calculated from 2k RPM with the dual turbo setup, the quad turbo setup should boost from 1500RPM ... which while is not from idle, is damn close

Man of Honour
The problem with your example Rypt is that you didnt actually build a 8L W16 though did you? So thats just a theoretical graph you could have made up with no regard for emissions or transient load cases. Which is why I said what I said, that turbo with those specs does not exist and there for we are in the land of engineering compromise.
Hang on, rypt was trying to show up the performance of the Yeti engine by comparing it to an engine that does not actually exist (other than in theory)?

Really?!

Soldato
Hang on, rypt was trying to show up the performance of the Yeti engine by comparing it to an engine that does not actually exist (other than in theory)?

Really?!

No, I was simply pointing out that you can design an engine to do things properly

Soldato
Big_Lebowski.jpg

Jesus.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Don't forget tonights episode

Sunday 30th Jan 2011

The presenters square off against their Australian counterparts in an automotive version of the Ashes, with challenges including rallying, drifting and a double-decker car race. Jeremy Clarkson also test-drives the Ferrari 599 GTO, and Boris Becker gets behind the wheel of the Reasonably Priced Car

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom