New tyre time

Associate
Hi all

My focus is in need of new rubber all around. I'm looking to spend about £80 a corner fitted to avoid ditch finder specials but as I haven't needed to buy tyres for about 9 years I'm lost from there. Any recommendations what is good in that sweet spot of good grip, fair lasting, etc? Not looking to set new land speed records as it's a family taxi but being able to stick the anchors on when an idiot appears is always nice.

Tyre size is 205/55/R16

Thanks in advance
FluffySheep

Associate
You could maybe get pilot sport 4s in that size for 80 folded pictures of her maj.
I run super sport 4s on my 5 and they are ridicules - just insane levels of grip when they get hot.

Makes me laugh and roll eyes a lot when i am in for tyres at my local, almost without fail everyone who comes in wants budgets - stupid idiots, the tyre is the only thing keeping you on the road, spend some decent £££s on it FFS.

Associate
Thing is its not just the driver of the car who is at risk, everyone around them when its moving is.
"ohh but i just commute", "i dont drive fast" bla bla bla total ****

I bet a bazillion quid a car with good rubber on it will come to a stop much quicker than an identical one in the rain when little johnny decides to run across the road in front of them.
Folk are cheep, tight and really stupid.

Soldato
Thing is its not just the driver of the car who is at risk, everyone around them when its moving is.
"ohh but i just commute", "i dont drive fast" bla bla bla total ****

I bet a bazillion quid a car with good rubber on it will come to a stop much quicker than an identical one in the rain when little johnny decides to run across the road in front of them.
Folk are cheep, tight and really stupid.

Yup you are very right. Cheap tyres do the job. But it's when you really need them in that situation they make the difference. I've had some scary slides in cars on budget tyres, they're damn scary in the wet some of them. I have always put the best on my cars, A6 has Goodyear Eagle F1's and they're a fantastic tyre.

See it a lot in the modified car scene too, people running high horsepower and massive brakes, yet budget tyres, it's rather pointless as your brakes are only as good as the tyre really!

Associate
Its practically universal round my way, new and newish cars running around on the cheapest they can get. While i was in last time an older chap was in wanting a couple of fronts for, i think it was a new Jag. Was arguing the toss over the 60 quid dingwit-dongfee cheep crap as opposed to the 160odd quid rubber he should have been putting on his big wheeled knob extension.
Same with the stupid monster trucks, BMW X5s with wheelbarrow tyres running cheapest utter turd possible - folk really really annoy me with this.

Soldato
I need new tyres and I'm in a catch 22 - I want to get mid-high range ones with good stopping distance but I can't afford them yet. But my tyres on the car whilst good tread are old and budget so need replacing.

On topic I've never had issue with Pirelli Cituratos which I've had on several cars and on my old company car I put 70k on one before the sidewall split.. (only one though as the other three got replaced individually with punctures and I didn't realise it was original until checking after).

Just got 3x 245/40/18 93Y PS4s (audi spec) being fitted for £368. (I know 3, but remaining tyre is high tread and will be rear so happy for now, will probably replace before winter properly hits) Was getting 2, heard a pop the other day and I have a screw down through the tread and out the sidewall. Im driving like miss daisy now for a few days :(

Soldato
I've had Michellin Cross Climates on my hatchback for the last 3 years, they've done 55,000 miles and still have plenty of tread on them and they are fantastic in the snow, good grip and good braking. Not sure they are available in your size, but if they are I wholeheartedly recommend them.

Back
Top Bottom