New Website

Soldato
OP
Update done :)

Just been checking on Google, and my site comes up second for "folding@home smp guide", 3rd for "folding home smp guide" and 4th for "folding smp guide".

Not bad for just a month of being in Google's index. and nearly all my traffic comes from here so no idea how I am so high already. As far as I know OcUK block the Googlebot.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, if you run finstall smp, it will run the -smp flag

Excellent.

I will update the site tomorrow. Anyone else have any updates/corrections/additions for me? If not, forever hold your peace [until next week :p].

HURRAH! My site is now the top result in Google for "folding home smp guide" and "folding@home smp guide"

*does a dance*

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Excellent. Nice one fungus.

I am updating my site later so I will add the links. Will the Linux link work from the command line?

ie
Code:
wget http://fahmon.net/downloads/current.php?linux

Would you like me to change the FahMon home page to fahmon.net also?

Soldato
OP
OK I admit I have been sloppy with my updates recently. Mostly due to me creating the PHP for the new site. I am glad to say that, as far as you lot are concerned, the code is finished.

I started adding data to the database earlier and will hopefully have the site up and running by the end of tomorrow.

You shouldn't see any changes to the website, other than the URL*. However, over the next few weeks I will be adding a comments feature to the site so users can, well, leave comments. The idea is to let people point out mistakes, omissions or even better ways of achieving something.

I will also be adding a kind of FAQ/comment feature for the Troubleshooting page. This will have the answers to some of the most common problems people come across. The format will basically be

Question: How do I fix this?

"Official" Answer: sudo rmdir -r /

User Answer: Take a hammer and...

So there will be what is considered the "proper" or "best" solution with the possibility of a better/alternative answer given by a user.

For the time being it would be completely open, so no registering would be required. I will however use a CAPTCHA to cut down on abuse. If it gets bad [unlikely] I may force people to register - but only to add a comment.

I do have one or two more ideas but they will have to wait until I am sure they would be of any use. If you lot have any suggestions just say the word and I will make a note of it :)

*Don't worry - The homepage address isn't changing, so http://smp.aeternum.co.uk will still work :)

Associate
Nice work SiriusB !!

Used the Upgrade section to add more clients to my Ubuntu farm.

Request:
Could you or on of the Linux Guru's add in a VNC How-Too section?

Rendering Problem:
There seems to be a problem between my FireFox & IE when it comes to rendering your pages correctly, specifically with IE. All works as it should with FireFox.

Here's what's happening:

Reference Page: Reference Page

RenderingProblem-IE.jpg

Happens on most all of the pages when using IE, but none with FireFox.

Soldato
OP
Hmm... not seen that problem myself with IE6, but I will check it out later.

I have been told it looks fine in IE7.

It was written with good browsers in mind, although I have tried to accomodate the pretend ones too.

Soldato
OP
GRR! Been trying for over an hour to sort out the textarea problem in IE and I just can't find a solution!

I am SURE it used to work as I have not been told about this problem before, and I have asked people several times if it is ok in IE.

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it! I had so many copies of my CSS file all over the place I was editing the wrong one :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom