New White Hart Lane - Delayed

Man of Honour
I found it a little bit of an insult, that the day i get my new stadium access pack .. was the same day i got an email saying that the new stadium had been delayed further. :D

Official club statement:

Since we last provided an update on the progress of the new stadium on 3 September, 2018, we have been working hard with the contractors involved in the critical safety systems.

Key contractors involved in the mechanical, electrical and safety systems are being supported with external resources and closely monitored by our construction manager, Mace.

Chairman Daniel Levy said: “There isn't an hour that goes by when I am not asked when we will be able to stage our first game at our new home.

“I wish I was able to confirm an exact opening date and fixture. However, in light of factors completely outside of our control, contractors missing deadlines and possible future unforeseen issues, we are naturally being cautious in respect of our timetable for our test events and official opening game.

“Whilst we are conscious of the need to keep pressure on our contractors to deliver as soon as possible, we are also acutely aware of how difficult the lack of clarity is for you, our supporters, to plan around games, particularly those at Christmas and New Year.

“In light of the above, and taking into account the restricted availability of manpower over the festive period, we have taken the decision to confirm today that all home games will be played at Wembley Stadium up to and including the game against Wolverhampton Wanderers on 29 December.

“We know the continued delay is a source of immense disappointment to everyone and I can only continue to apologise for this - it is a sentiment felt by all of us.

“We have not stood still whilst work on the critical safety systems has been happening and we have sought to use the time to bring forward future works.

“Our investment has been supported by over £100m investment in transport infrastructure which will see the stadium and the local area served by one of the best public transport networks in the country – facilitating the creation of a new sport, leisure and entertainment destination in London.

“The delay in the stadium opening has made it possible for some track and station improvements to be brought forward due to the fact that previously non-available construction dates have become available for works.

“We have no doubt when open that this stadium will be one of the finest in the world – a leading example of British research and development delivering engineering and technological firsts that will be showcased globally.

“I hope that the end result will be something that will make you proud.

“We shall look to update you again in early December.”

The Club will also be engaging with Wembley National Stadium Ltd and Brent Council regarding attendance capacities at Wembley Stadium for the forthcoming games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well to be fair arsenal and Chelsea have to finish outside top 4 and spurs do finish in top 4 at end of this season to validate this claim as they hadnt stipulated which year/season that would be from the advert haha

Edit: clutching? Much hahhaha

Soldato
Well to be fair arsenal and Chelsea have to finish outside top 4 and spurs do finish in top 4 at end of this season to validate this claim as they hadnt stipulated which year/season that would be from the advert haha

Edit: clutching? Much hahhaha

That is fair, I'll let you have that! :p

Caporegime
Not sure that confirms anything. Given the way the stadium situation has gone it makes sense that they get permission for the entire season to cover themselves.
Makes business sense to make sure they’re covered in the event of any delay. How embarrassing would it have been to have to go cap in hand to the relevant authorities asking for permission to play at Wembley with only a few weeks notice.

Man of Honour
Pretty much confirmed they are not going to playing in their new ground this season!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46171505

No that isn't what they are saying at all..

I've had an email from the club saying that only fixture to the end of the year have been confirmed.. This is just stating that they have the planning permission in place to play the remaining games at wembley IF they need it albeit reduced capacity.

Don
OP
Even if the stadium was ready by March, their first game would be Arsenal and it's been reported for a few weeks now that the police won't allow them to have that as their opening game which would mean the earliest possible opening would be the 16th vs Palace. Assuming it's ready for the Palace game, they'll play 5 games at their new ground this season. It's surely reached a stage where it's in everyone's interests if Spurs just commit to staying at Wembley for those few extra games even if it costs them an extra £500k-£1m, get the ground 100% completed, including all the small things that are still not completed and have a proper opening at the start of next season.

Man of Honour
Yes, I just got an email confirming this.

My gut feeling is that this will be next August now. At some point, the FA might even step in. The problem s for me personally, Although i have a season ticket, i can not go to every game but I would like to go to the opening game.. it is very hard to pland and arrange work life around something that is unknown.. I even planned my holiday last year to be available in August and September .. Very frustrating

Soldato
It will be interesting to understand the costs involved due to the delays versus if the stadium had been planned to be ready for summer 2019 instead.

Don
Yes, I just got an email confirming this.

My gut feeling is that this will be next August now. At some point, the FA might even step in. The problem s for me personally, Although i have a season ticket, i can not go to every game but I would like to go to the opening game.. it is very hard to pland and arrange work life around something that is unknown.. I even planned my holiday last year to be available in August and September .. Very frustrating

I think it's a nailed on certainty that it will be next season

Back
Top Bottom