New World MMO

Associate
the downtime yesterday was an absolute mare, what a dumb idea to prioritise upping the US servers over EU when most of the US are still sleeping. I didn't end up playing, and i don't really care about it too much since i'm growing a bit bored of the grind anyway but it was still incredibly dumb to schedule maintenance during peak hours

Associate
the downtime yesterday was an absolute mare, what a dumb idea to prioritise upping the US servers over EU when most of the US are still sleeping. I didn't end up playing, and i don't really care about it too much since i'm growing a bit bored of the grind anyway but it was still incredibly dumb to schedule maintenance during peak hours

I have read because they don't use their own launcher and they use steam that the downtime HAS to be done globally so they have to upset some region. If they used their own launcher they could do regions differently.

Caporegime
It's the 1st month, all successful ones grow their playrbase during launch month and don't start seeing shrinking numbers during this time.
MMOs usually have a lot more content than this at launch.
there's like 2 weeks of repetitive content total for 5 years development time

Associate
I have read because they don't use their own launcher and they use steam that the downtime HAS to be done globally so they have to upset some region. If they used their own launcher they could do regions differently.

I'm not sure this makes sense when they can stagger the server readiness e.g., US first and then certain EU servers coming back up and allowing players on. Sounds like jargon used to get them out of hot water.

Caporegime
I'm not sure this makes sense when they can stagger the server readiness e.g., US first and then certain EU servers coming back up and allowing players on. Sounds like jargon used to get them out of hot water.
I think he means they can't update one regions game client on steam without all of them getting pushed an update at the same time.

I don't care if it's true or not it's a design choice amazon went along with, seems a long time since an MMO cared about doing server downtimes during hours people sleep through.

your just expected to "deal with it" these days, companies don't care about gamers.

your not an "influencer" deal with it.

the thing is the influencers generally don't care either unless they get paid, seems a lot of "sponsored" streams on day one weirdly mostly small streamers, non of the big ones had sponsored showing they had partnered with the games streamer programme.

The games as basic and generic as they come, I'm not given amazon a free pass, most of the game is like these developers are fresh out of school and never even played MMOs before.
i don't know what feedback they were getting from streamers etc but it sure as hell wasn't good.

The games like a 6/10 when it could easily have been an 8 with some kind of personal touches in the game, do they not even have a small dedicated team creating custom quest content?

everything seems randomly generated or the least effort possible.

it's desert island simulator, feel just like tom hanks playing it.

there hasn't been a worse new world since australia and even that desolate hell hole had content before the white man arrived

Last edited:
Soldato
Every MMO is...your not really saying anything new here.
Do the grind, get to endgame, and hope there is content there to complete.

Not really, I didn't find levelling in FFXIV to be like work at all. It was tedious at times in ARR, but never work. NW has got about 6 skills/abilities, some ho-hum PvP, then the faction system PvP which is utterly broken and will never work, and a disastrous banning/report system. The rest of the game is running back and forwards digging things/chopping trees down.

Associate
I’ve not bothered to play for a while now. It’s just a pretty boring game tbh, it might get better in the future but I doubt it will.

Associate
Boring game that will continue to lose more and more players as the weeks go on because there's simply not enough to do. Back in alpha when the game had open world non toggle pvp it was fun!

600k players is still impressive but when you consider the game has lost 300k players already and then yesterdays mess has probably cost them a lot more.

Soldato
Wonder if it would have fared better if they had just stuck to the original concept rather than caving into pressure from the usual vocal minority?

I'd have thought to 180 on the design of the game it would have been the vocal majority. I think it's pretty well accpeted that the hardcore PvP crowd is in minority as opposed to the more PvE focussed crowd.

Caporegime
I'd have thought to 180 on the design of the game it would have been the vocal majority. I think it's pretty well accpeted that the hardcore PvP crowd is in minority as opposed to the more PvE focussed crowd.
PVP being minority almost seems wrong imo...
what are the most successful games right now?

Dota 2, Valorant, League, Apex legends, Fart night and COD.

people don't want PVP in games yet they are always the most popular titles.
seems more like it's just poorly implemented in mmos and never enough reward for the risk.

anyone remember the original alterac valley in WOW before it got nerfed? what a fabulous idea for how PVP zones should be in MMOs.

a mix of PVE and PVP blended together for a common goal.... that actually worked, even had a raid boss in the middle

Last edited:
Soldato

seems more like it's just poorly implemented in mmos and never enough reward for the risk.

anyone remember the original alterac valley in WOW before it got nerfed? what a fabulous idea for how PVP zones should be in MMOs.

a mix of PVE and PVP blended together for a common goal.... that actually worked, even had a raid boss in the middle
The main difference for me in comparing those titles and MMOs is that it's far far easier to balance FPS/battle royal style games than it is in a mmo. There's just far to many variables to take into account when playing a mmo. Additionally, player power is traditionally static in the likes of cod, Fortnite, apex etc, whereas MMOs are about your character gaining power and strength as you level.

PvP should be far easier to balance in new world as it's stripped away all the RPG elements and player choice that (for me) make MMOs special.

I'd also add that as time has gone on and blizzard have taken away what players can accomplish in av - time limits to make quicker games, less PvE based objectives they've gutted and removed the fun out of that particular BG.

Edit - the original iteration of NW, the PvP based game was still dull and uninspiring. It just wasn't fun.

Last edited:
Soldato

That's true, but they're not MMO's. You can throw in FIFA and Madden as well, massive PvP games, but the MMO crowd definitely leans more heavily toward PvE. Look at the most succesful MMO, FFXIV, the PvP is almsost an afterthought and no-one cares. You talk about EVE I guess, but that's a niche within a niche. If you look at NW's dev, people didn't like the PvP focus, so they changed it, should they have done? maybe not? but the numbers spoke, and Amazon is numbers driven. I would definitely say that the vast majority of trad fantasy setting MMO's player-base cares more about the PvE, people don't want the toxicity of PvP, just look at the **** that's happening in NW. And we know the other genres of PvP are also really toxic.

Why decided to dump LOTR, the golden goose of fantasy IP's, for this nondescript souless setting was the real mistake.

Back
Top Bottom