Newbie Vikki's AMD Phenom II x4 computer/DAW?/build thread...

I only just got to this, but notice there's no dust filter on the bottom of the case - so that PSU will suck dust into itself. Might want to flip it.

Are there any filters you can get to put in the fan hole apertures to stop dust. I've got a approx 120mm fan hole in the top of the case and am frightened in case any bits get and drop onto the motherboard, etc., is there anything similar to put in the bottom of the case to prevent dust being sucked up into the psu.:( I had thought of something like a piece of cooker hood filter but can you get a framework to fasten in or do you have to use your imagination????;)
Thanks
Vikki:D

Should do. Just don't use fishnet ones though. ;) I wouldn't rub them then touch the pc components afterwards. Static is a PC killer.

Here's a thread I posted in a couple of years ago

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17917772 it does have an image of someone's attempt as it showed up in google images but its not in there.

if not just google homemade case fan filters.

O.k. really pleased with this machine, great results.......Moving on a wee bit i was thinking of treating myself to a new monitor, is 24" a good size to get, maybe 2 one for the main recording display and one for the mixing page. I guess the first move would be to get a graphics card that would output to 2 monitors, can anyone suggest a suitable one?
Vikki:D

Not playing any games, just for multitrack recording use......don;t want to spend an absolute fortune, but if you could give me a few options that would be great!
Vikki:)

Last edited:
Well I think (not done this myself but others will confirm this) any modern Graphics card with dual monitor output should do the trick. You may require leads with different plugs on each lead (most common are DVI & VGA) but that depends on the card you buy.

As for monitors, I'd post a new thread in the monitors forum, specifying budget, The size monitors you want & what you plan on viewing on said monitors. You may get better help there.

Filters collect dust over time, so need to be hoovered. Doesn't look like that one linked is removable. I think it'll be much easier in the long run to just flip the psu.

I'd focus on resolution over screen size. 1900 x 1200 give a lot of screen space. But these looks good.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-133-SA&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-085-LG&groupid=17&catid=1425&subcat=

You'll be hard pressed to find a monitor with a higer resolution at a similar price point.

IMO, there is a big perceivable jump between a 22'' and a 24''. With a 24'', I'm not sure you'll need a second monitor :) A 24'' takes a lot of desk space, especially if yo uplan on adding a second monitor. My 24'' (2407WFP) feel more like a TV, 22'' (2209WA) at work feels more like a computer monitor.

hmm motherboard description says, one DVI, one HDMI. Do not know if this is dual monitor setup though. Adding a cheap video card will not improve on that imo.

EDIT : Apparently it supports dual monitor setups. Also, It look like you have a analog VGA connector as well. adding a cheap video card will not give you anything better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom