Newcastle Utd, Official thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well there was a man utd thread which discussed a lot of issues of annoying nature a while back, im starting a really worried newcastle thread...dedicated to anyone who is starting to fear the worst considering the plight of the club..as a whole.

There is a really interesting scary article on nufc which may be of some interest...

"Ignoring Tuesday's Carling Cup sideshow, attention now switches to the away fixture at Manchester City next Saturday - the second time in ten months that we've gone there in turmoil off the field and in disarray on it.

Our recent results mean that Pearce & Co.'s current inconsistencies are of little relevance - a situation also mirroring last season when a poor City side wiped the floor with the rabble Souness presided over for the final time.

Whether an injection of attacking pace from Dyer and/or Martins can be added to our squad remains to be seen, but it's plain to see that the roots of our malaise lie far deeper.

Quite frankly we've hit the buffers - and the problems that have been evident for years can no longer be ignored. Local heroes and club goalscoring records can no longer mask the decline in this club over a decade.

For every person who boos or chants outside SJP there are many more mute onlookers and increasing numbers voting with their feet - unable to criticise their club but unwilling to witness this feckless tripe at first hand.

It's bad enough paying for it, but for some season ticket holders at present it's too much of an ask to bother going, something that hardly bodes well for renewals.

And as for away trips, forget it. A jaunt to the Arsenal ground and two nights on the slash in Germany. Going to Blackburn, Bolton or Everton holds about as much allure as brass-rubbing.

The casual punters are drifting away week on week and there is a growing level of negativity and gloom from people who remember the dark days of 77/78 and 88/89 - and see unpleasant echoes of it in the current season.

That negativity translates itself into a lack of support for the team. But to talk of a fear factor or a lack of confidence in the players as a consequence of that is just nonsense.

Over-paid, lazy, disinterested so-called professionals aren't going to get away with the sub-standard performances of late that easily.

There's a degree of sympathy for Roeder, who seems like a decent enough bloke fighting to do a job under intolerable circumstances - hence the lack of personal abuse directed at him.

We can find nothing but contempt though from the rank and file towards the Halls and Shepherds, their offshore money pits, agent friends and car dealer hangers-on.

Any talk from them about bad luck with injuries etc. has to overshadowed by the continual questionable transfer dealings and the feel-bad factor that now follows us around.

While some fans publish calculations debunking the notion that the current administration have ever invested a penny of their own money into the club, more have grown bored of the bullish boardroom broadcasts and hackneyed platitudes trotted out by friendly hacks.

But just as the Portsmouth or Palermo victories provided nothing more than temporary relief, so the Sheffield United game didn't herald the beginnings of a new dark age.

Instead it merely confirmed the worst fears of many Toon watchers: that our post-Shearer recruitment programme was fundamentally flawed, leaving us ill-equipped to cope with the demands of this season.

This isn't a knee-jerk reaction to plunging into the bottom two of the Premiership, rather a considered conclusion based on the mess we've made of a fixture list that included several eminently winnable games.

Factoring in the coming games taking us into 2007 shows that it's a damn sight more difficult in terms of points collection.

Conclusion - we're ******.

A short-term approach would be to blame the losses on Roeder and point to tactical shortcomings, questionable selections and substitution and an inability to inspire certain players as reasons to pay him off.

The appointment of a replacement (Curbishley or anyone of similar status, ie with nowt better to do) would then see that traditional new manager/ ten game boost take effect.

That would give us enough renewed impetus to collect the points rise to the dizzy heights of mid-table.

Throw in a dispiriting exit in the latter stages of a cup and the only thing that's changed is the price of the sorrow-drowning beers from the last time we went round the carousel.

And from where we stand, people seem less and less prepared to stay on for the ride once again.

In short, the club is dying on its feet; dying from neglect and dying of indifference.

Look around - look at the mackems, look at Leeds. Remember mocking Murray, rubbishing Ridsdale and chortling at charver kids being pushed away from the Stadium of plight gates by stewards. Then look at us, look at the future.

The last two relegations were accompanied by diversionary daftness - Dickie Dinnis and player power, then the original sack the board.

And we nearly made it a hat-trick in 1992 before the McKeag era was finally banished, albeit sewing the seeds of our current malaise.

Fans are desperate for a fresh approach, fresh ideas and fresh faces - anything to lift the mood of despondency that has set in since those scarves were twirled last May and Owen lay on a German football field just days later.

The problem with not thinking short-term though is that a long-term view requires vision, planning and strategy. The current incumbents are yet to prove they have any of those qualities.

To sum up, take your money and please just go away. Sack yourself.

Relegation would be a complete and utter disaster - but if we have to go down in order to make the share price drop enough to see a buyout, then so be it.

Let's at least try and restore some dignity, decency and unity to the club while there's still something worth fighting to preserve."

Do we really have to start all over again? are we really in that much of a mess it will come to that?

Newcastle do seem to be in a mess at the moment. The blame should certainly lay at the door of Freddy Sheppard. A succession of rash managerial appointments has led to instabillity at player level. Not to mention him brokering deals for players like Kluivert and Owen without the full backing of the manager. It can be argued that those two players had their best years behind them before joining Newcastle.

He has allowed players to come in who are just not upto the standard. Bramble, Luque Babyaro etc. When you look at Newcastle there has been a lot of minor incidents that that have tarnished the club such as Lee Bowyer fighting on the pitch with his own team mates, Kieron Dyer being a leach on the club. Craig Bellamys petullence. Every club has palyers like this but the top clubs always seem to sort it. Newcastle strike me as a club without discipline or direction.

You can blame Roeder but if the players don't have enough about them to motivate themselves and dig themselves out of a hole, there is only so much the manager can do. How can you blame the lack of goals on him when you had only one recognised forward in Rossi playing on Saturday.

For the good of the club and its long term stability Shepard should be the one stepping aside. Talk Sport reported this morning that the decision to play Sheff Utd 44 hours after Palermo was entirely Sheppards. They had the choice to play Sunday but he would prefer to take the £350,000 for the televised game.

i agree on all of it except not sure about the relegation thing to fix us.

i no in what context its meant but i dont think we could afford to lose the players we would.

its kinda weird i reckon atm, when GR took over he was all like " no one is safe and am gonna sort things out like the defence" yet hes done actually nothing and still plays baba and bramble so hes actually not being as strict as he said he woudl be.

which is what we need, yeah souness was supposed to be a no nonsense manager but look who he brought in.

As much as I do sympathise with Roeder, I do think Sheppard should bite the bullet, give himself one last chance and change the management. As ive said for a long time, Alan Curbishley should be brought in sooner rather than later to give him some time to settle in before its too late, assess the situation before the transfer window opens and start making plans and of course to avoid him being snapped up by another club.

He has massive experience in Newcastle's situation after what he did with Charlton for so long and he has the knack of making some very good signings on a budget that will do a job. And as much as hate to say it, I also think he could hold the key to securing Darren Bent's signing - a player that Newcastle desperatly need.

I still dont honestly think Newcastle will be relegated this season, there are in a similar position to where Everton were last season and look at them now. Its a long old season, a lot could change before May.

I think the signings made over the past few years have killed newcastle. They still believe they're a big club but in reality the high's of 96/97 are long gone.

Take this summer for example, after the money that was wasted on Luque, Owen etc, they decided to shell out 9m on a player who's unproven in the premiership. Fair enough he's not had many games so far, but for a team like Newcastle, that 9m could have bought a couple of solid mature defenders with PL experience who could have given some stability at the back. Campbell/woodgate(did they try hard enough?) for example, and then they could have chased after a cut-price forward to do the job up top. Heck i'm sure Teddy would have gone to newcastle given the chance for a final season of virtually gaurenteed starts, and he'd do better than the tosh there at the moment.

On paper newcastle have a good midfield, but either side of that is a championship team (bar Rossi - bound to say that aren't i ;)). January should give Newcastle another chance to make some more poor signings. As ludicrous as it sounds I think Eriksson could do a job for them.

Oh don't worry, you'll give us a right game, like you always do, beat us and that'll be your season lit.

:rolleyes:

Inevitable.

(Arsenal fan)

Finding a good striker is really hard these days for some reason, someone who will always score 15-25goals a season.

The strikers that have done so far are hideously priced.

I think we need to look down the leagues to find a striker...look how well chopra has been so far....we should have kept him, i dont think he was given a really fair chance in the first team...then at least we wouldnt of been so thin with stiker options.

As for defence, that needs a whole new clearout...only taylor and ramage are worth keeping to be honest, thats only because they are young and have potential.

As for the board, i think their decision this weekend has put them another 20ft below ground in terms of support...making money and sacrificing an extra 24hrs rest...that is just typical.

Also links with some German guy as a possibly new manager....?? who is he? and why? if we were to get anyone else in, curbishley may be wise.... but to be honest i think a new manager again isnt taking us forward its just going to put us in the same position we have been in since bobby left.

I was watching some youtube clips a few days ago of the hayday in 95-97 with the old 7-1's 5-0's and 4-3's.... its all gone and why we are clinging on to the heights we got then is beyond me...we need to think long term...not short term. especially when it comes to squad building.

Mr Nice said:
Striking wise, IF fit, Newcastle look pretty good.

Martins: Yet to be proven
Owen: Excellent
Ameobi: Not premiership class
Sibierski: Not premiership class

I'd say we were very weak in this area

Mr Nice said:
The problem is the midfield

Easily our stongest area with N'Zogbia, Solano, Parker, Butt, Emre, Dyer and Duff to choose from.

Mr Nice said:
and back four.

Dead men walking.

Priority is defence.

We clearly and finally need a solid back 4. Experience and quality is needed in the defence.

The midfield is really good, we have some quality players in the middle.

However the forwards are rubbish...ameobi never has been good enough...sibierski isnt a true striker..... luque isnt a true striker....rossi is too inexperienced but isnt a newcastle player anyway however good he is or will be....martins is "young" and needs to be really judged next season.... owen wont be good until a few month after he is back....whenever that is.

I completly agree with the first post, but I don't think we should be relegated then come back up, if we get relegated we're in major trouble financially and I don't see us coming back up in the near future.

Why we keep buying attacking players to solve our problems bemuses me, we are now apparently going to get Cassano on loan, although hes a good player yet again we're getting another player with a attitude into the club, maybe Fat Fred gets players that relfect his charachter.
If we had a good back 4, regardless of whom we play in midfield or strike I see us getting in the top 10 simply because football is a team game, if the strikers and midfield know the defence is rubbish they won't play half as well and everytime they concede a goal after scoring they lose heart (we done this vs fulham and bolton where we scored first looked good then got beat due to shambles brambles, useless carr babayaro etc).

Don't you find it weird how players with big names at the time, or prospects nearly always end up to be rubbish at Newcastle?
First of all some of the signings and the prices are questionnable, but to play for newcastle its hard with out defence, I think our current crop attacking players would be a lot better if they had a good back four, Martins is not a bad player and i'm sure if he went to a side with good defenders we'd see him do a lot better.

Look at C.Ronaldo, if he came to newcastle could you imagine him being a success? I couldn't he has a free role at Manchester United to attack, with us he'd probably have to defend half the time with our back four, or never see the ball or a pass as the players arent there as they're still in defence after kicking it out.

Last edited:
I'd love for someone to explain why Titus "I am the oppositions 12th man" Bramble gets a game? Manager after manager continue to play him when he makes mistake after mistake. Has he got a "Play when fit" clause in his contract? :p

Apart from that, we have two decent Geordie lads in Ramage and Taylor who never get a look in. They may not be great players (yet ;) ) but at least they love the club, and will give everything to get a result.

Ramage should replace Carr at right back because, quite frankly, Carr is rubbish. Taylor for Bramble. I remember Olivier Bernard improving a lot in his final season before he turned into a greedy barsteward and left. When fit, surely he could do a better job than the crap Babayaro.

Shay Given should be back in a couple of weeks, and he'll make a difference as he always does.

I dont know what the answers are, but the way the teams morale dropped after conceding on Saturday was shocking. Where are the "Men" on the pitch to take the lead? Even Parker looked like he couldn't give a toss. :mad:

Paul

Yes I'm worried, but I don't think we will get relegated this season. I certainly don't think we should get rid of Roder just yet. I just hope they do something sensible in the January transfer window, we need to get rid of the likes of Bramble etc, and get a solid defence in. We need to get rid of Ameobi, Luque etc and get in a pair of hard working forwards...

Panzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom