Newcastle Utd, Official thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jofujofu said:
I'd love for someone to explain why Titus "I am the oppositions 12th man" Bramble gets a game? Manager after manager continue to play him when he makes mistake after mistake. Has he got a "Play when fit" clause in his contract? :p
I could only imagine hes an absolute god in training, he probably makes beats Martins for pace, duff/milner for dribbling and shows emre up on corners and free kicks, probably taught Tim Krul and Shay Given all they know! He must be the best defender in the world when training!

Hlebio said:
Oh don't worry, you'll give us a right game, like you always do, beat us and that'll be your season lit.

:rolleyes:

Inevitable.

(Arsenal fan)

I think we've only beaten you once in the last 10 years or so? The game at Highbury with Robert, O'Brien and Shearer scoring.

Ripper^ said:
I think the signings made over the past few years have killed newcastle. They still believe they're a big club but in reality the high's of 96/97 are long gone.

Take this summer for example, after the money that was wasted on Luque, Owen etc, they decided to shell out 9m on a player who's unproven in the premiership. Fair enough he's not had many games so far, but for a team like Newcastle, that 9m could have bought a couple of solid mature defenders with PL experience who could have given some stability at the back. Campbell/woodgate(did they try hard enough?) for example, and then they could have chased after a cut-price forward to do the job up top. Heck i'm sure Teddy would have gone to newcastle given the chance for a final season of virtually gaurenteed starts, and he'd do better than the tosh there at the moment.

I dont't think you can say Owen was a waste of money, granted he picks up his fair share of injuries but we needed a replacement for Shearer and Owen is perfect for that.

This season despite what all commentators, pundits etc. are saying the defence is not the problem, it's the fact that we are not scoring (due to the fact that we've lost Owen and Shearer). We've only conceded 2 more goals than Liverpool, but even just sees Bramble make a mistake on MOTD and says we have the worst defence in the Premiership.

We did try to get Woodgate but he said himself he wanted to go to the Smoggies (his hometown club).

Sacking Roeder isn't the correct option IMO. I agree with what's been said on nufc.com bringing in Curbishley or someone would give us another honeymoon period to get us up the table but it's not going to be good enough long term.

Personally, I can't see us being relegated. Once we get Dyer back (probably early December), Ameobi fully fit (about the same time), Martins fit (soon) we'll start scoring. Plus, in an ideal world we may have Owen back for the last month or so which should result in a few wins.

I'm not going to say much about the board but I don't think they are as bad as made out. I do think the fixture pile is their fault though.

Edit- I'd just like to say as well, I have a lot of respect for Glen Roeder, giving an interview after the Sheff Utd. game stating the fans have the right to complain, too bad Carr and Parker weren't there (they apparently clapped ironically and hearing shouts directed at them, although no-one knows for sure).

Last edited:
Vegeta said:
I completly agree with the first post, but I don't think we should be relegated then come back up, if we get relegated we're in major trouble financially and I don't see us coming back up in the near future.

Why we keep buying attacking players to solve our problems bemuses me, we are now apparently going to get Cassano on loan, although hes a good player yet again we're getting another player with a attitude into the club, maybe Fat Fred gets players that relfect his charachter.
If we had a good back 4, regardless of whom we play in midfield or strike I see us getting in the top 10 simply because football is a team game, if the strikers and midfield know the defence is rubbish they won't play half as well and everytime they concede a goal after scoring they lose heart (we done this vs fulham and bolton where we scored first looked good then got beat due to shambles brambles, useless carr babayaro etc).

Don't you find it weird how players with big names at the time, or prospects nearly always end up to be rubbish at Newcastle?
First of all some of the signings and the prices are questionnable, but to play for newcastle its hard with out defence, I think our current crop attacking players would be a lot better if they had a good back four, Martins is not a bad player and i'm sure if he went to a side with good defenders we'd see him do a lot better.

Look at C.Ronaldo, if he came to newcastle could you imagine him being a success? I couldn't he has a free role at Manchester United to attack, with us he'd probably have to defend half the time with our back four, or never see the ball or a pass as the players arent there as they're still in defence after kicking it out.

A lot of good points in that post.

Look at the top teams in the Premiership at the moment and further afield to Europe. All have the foundation of a strong back four and a good quality goalkeeper. If you havent got the fire power to go out and win then you make it damn hard for the opposition to score. A good defence allows the more creative players in midfield to express themselves and create chances.

It was always a running joke in Football that Newcastle would let in 3 but score 4. Now they have dont have the firepower to make up for the shortcomings in defence.

I dont't think you can say Owen was a waste of money, granted he picks up his fair share of injuries but we needed a replacement for Shearer and Owen is perfect for that.
I think I can, whats he done for you so far? Everyone knows he's a good player, but he's been injured since he signed pretty much, so how can you not say he's been a waste of money. He's out for another 6 months minimum and nobody can be sure he'll be as good as he once was when he returns.

Ripper^ said:
I think I can, whats he done for you so far? Everyone knows he's a good player, but he's been injured since he signed pretty much, so how can you not say he's been a waste of money. He's out for another 6 months minimum and nobody can be sure he'll be as good as he once was when he returns.

That's in hindsight though, the other players you mentioned were potentially wastes of money when they first signed.

I'm sure a few people already know my opinions from other threads :p but I don't think the situation is as grave as everyone makes out.

Pick any team outside the top 3 and take away their best player. Then take their top 2 forwards away. Then a couple of influential midfield players. Then their first team keeper (although Harper is very good still). See how they get on then.

I don't think Roeder or the chairman can be blamed for the results. Apart from Sheffield Utd the previous few results have not reflect the performances on the pitch. The lack of fowards highlighted again and again.

Likewise I think the defence gets undue stick (including Bramble). Every mistake he makes gets picked up on. That's not to say it shouldn't have been improved over the last few years because I believe it should have. The defence have done well over the last few games. Although why Baba plays is beyond me, he must have some videos of Shepherd up to something.

At Christmas I may change my mind but until then I won't be worrying to much. Especially not to the extent of sacking a manager.

Vegeta said:
I could only imagine hes an absolute god in training, he probably makes beats Martins for pace, duff/milner for dribbling and shows emre up on corners and free kicks, probably taught Tim Krul and Shay Given all they know! He must be the best defender in the world when training!

LOL! Thats a good enough reason for me! :p Must be true!

Paul

Visionary said:
I think we've only beaten you once in the last 10 years or so? The game at Highbury with Robert, O'Brien and Shearer scoring.
We beat them only last year, Solano!

We've got a decent record agaisnt Chelsea also in the last few years unlike most teams, but when we do lose it does seem to be around 3-4 nil.

Your right, the defence is the problem for Newcastle.

All the great teams, through whatever era a solid spine, and a solid basis. If you don't leak goals, you shouldn't lose games. It really is that simple.

What is Newcastles spine ?

Given - Great keeper, huge loss for you lot at the moment
Bramble - Joke
Moore - Not good enough
Emre - Good player, not physical enough
Parker - Would get into any team in the premiership if given a chance (bar Chelsea)
Ameobi - Woeful
Martins - Too early, doesn't look great at the moment though, but that could be due to the problems, I could see him shine in a consistant team.

Sort out the spine of the team, get a solid basis and you could be up near the top again. Until then, you don't have much chance unfortuantly.

It's a shame, as you Geordies have one of the top three fan bases in the Premiership.

I heard someone say on the radio about Martins supposed to be fast as someone said he can do 100 meteres in 11 seconds or summit, he says where do they get these ppl from, they weren't timing him with a stopwatch, they were using a ******* calendar. :D :D

Jofujofu said:
I'd love for someone to explain why Titus "I am the oppositions 12th man" Bramble gets a game? Manager after manager continue to play him when he makes mistake after mistake. Has he got a "Play when fit" clause in his contract? :p

Apart from that, we have two decent Geordie lads in Ramage and Taylor who never get a look in. They may not be great players (yet ;) ) but at least they love the club, and will give everything to get a result.

This is why I don't have a lot of sympathy for Roeder, he complains about defensive mistakes costing the side, but he persists with Bramble at the back. Surely it should be Moore and Taylor or something like that, heck even with injuries and suspensions he could give a youth-teamer a chance. OK so Moore isn't exactly a top-drawer player, but Newcastle are no longer a team challenging at the top of the table.

Then you have the situation up front.... with Owen injured, it's obvious to me that the two most talented forwards are Luque and Rossi. People like to bemoan Luque but has he actually been given a proper run in the side without getting injured or dropped? I'd be very suprised if he's started 5 games in a row.

Midfield is the only area of the team (Given aside) which looks like it belongs in the top half of the table. Parker, Duff, Solano, N'Zogbia, Emre, Dyer are all decent players, Milner has potential, and Butt/Sibierski have experience. The defence is as suspect as always, and Shearer's retirement coupled with Owen's injury has left a gaping hole up front.

newcastle ned to sign at least 2 defenders in the window, and if money is left over then buy a striker.

The problem is simplythe leaky back four and also confidence at the moment.

I said in another thread somebody like Lucas Neil, he is on a free in the summer so should be available for peanuts and can do a job for Newcastle, then bring in someone to play alongside him at the bank with experience and ability (maybe someone on loan like Silvestre) and i think you'd pretty much have a decent back four.

Add to that a physical striker to play alongside martins (I would say Rossi but I dont think roeder will give him a fair go in the side when otehrs are fit) and then see whathappens, a couple of wins would also do conifidence the world of good.

Read this about Roeder today;
At Gillingham,Watford and West Ham he took each team to seventh in the league,and then each were relegated the following season.. Newcastle finished 7th last yr :eek: :)

Not wanting to gloat at all,but this present situation was predicted by a lot of the 'pool fans and a fair few others, the second that Souness was unveiled as manager.

Dtab said:
Read this about Roeder today;
At Gillingham,Watford and West Ham he took each team to seventh in the league,and then each were relegated the following season.. Newcastle finished 7th last yr :eek: :)

Not wanting to gloat at all,but this present situation was predicted by a lot of the 'pool fans and a fair few others, the second that Souness was unveiled as manager.

Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom