Newish BMW Security Concern!!

Don
I could also blow my ecu :p

how?

swapping the pins round just gives you a failed inpa connection, nothing more, and prevents CAS copying. I'm not saying short wires just move their position in a block connector. It really is that simple.

or as I also said splice in an inline switch on one of the DME cables, that also has exactly the same effect :)

Don
[TW]Fox;21707398 said:
I don't understand why he keeps worrying, this doesn't affect the old style conventional keys anyway does it?

well you can copy EWS keys but it's an utter nightmare, I wasted a fair bit of cash trying to learn how to do it, I saw it as a way to make a quick buck as BMW garages charge £150 to do it. Needless to say I can now see why they charge so much :p

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I am one hundred percent it was locked cause I drove home, took out my golf clubs and other bits from the car. I then checked it was locked as my Mrs constantly reminds me.

Likely that they jammed your lock attempt another time previous maybe? Could a cloned key then be used to just unlock it at a later time to take it?

Associate
lol what? this seems like a rookie programmers mistake. The key data shouldn't be accessible to the program itself, let alone spat out on the odb port.

There are so many sub systems sharing the CAN bus all developed by different teams that it is likely that back doors may accidentally exist.

Security systems can only be checked against what the security team can think of as access mechanisms and auditing every device can be extremely difficult when many modules are able to interact over many different interconnects. You also have to remembed that the OBD port is used for diagnostics and it may not have been realised that this data was still available over OBD with the devices firmware.

It is a little bit like SQLinjection attacks that were a fairly common vulnerability ~6 few years ago, SQL databases can be made secure from direct view access via a password and secure server folders which appears to be pretty strong. But if for example a website has a the database backend with a regular customer/user login panel (like is the case on many sites) then some were susceptable to being attacked anyway as the programmers often didn't realise you could malform the input to create a new & unintended SQL query. This could have devastating effects as fairly uncommon commands (such as DROP) could be executed therefore allowing an attack to erasing the database internally or to circumvent passwords to extract or manipulate data regardless of how complex the websites controls were, by simply side stepping the process.

This was brought about due to their being several levels of interactivity and finding a shortcut to the desired target and sometimes different system layers have access that they shouldn't have or the developer didn't realise. Crucial memory pen lockers used to have a fairly major and very simple back door in them too IIRC where you could simply click past the security (right click on the drive and select 'Explore...'), you would have thought that would have been caught!

Soldato
Quite shocking really. Though they could just circumvent all of this like the blokes who nabbed my neighbours 3 series, and just wait in the bushes for him to drive up, jump him and royally beat the **** out of him, throw him in the back seat of his own car and dump him a few miles up the road!

Caporegime
I thought I understood what was going on, but as with the poster above, they are getting into locked cars as well ?

It's not a previous key, as one gang was caught in the act with the necessary modules to fool the car into accepting the new key. So how did they gain access to install these modules without a key to unlock it ? As at the start the key won't be accepted ?

Soldato
Wire up your ODB port to give a fatal electric shock if anything is plugged in without deactivating the "system" first?

Just remember to deactivate it before taking it in for a service! :p

Caporegime
I have just had my black BMW 335d - YH11 HJD stolen from my drive way yesterday morning.

I am one hundred percent it was locked cause I drove home, took out my golf clubs and other bits from the car. I then checked it was locked as my Mrs constantly reminds me. Went to bed at 12am last night, car was still there and woke this morning to go to work only to find the car is gone. Having read through various threads and others I am amazed how BMW aren't doing anything about this.

Both keys are with me. They made virtually no sound and the alarm did not go off. Not sure how they got into the vehicle?

Feel quite sick about this. Not sure I want another BMW even when the insurance pays out.

Sorry to hear that.

It's so bad to hear about this happening a lot.

Associate
Awesome, another reason to jack BMW (and others) insurance premiums.

I never liked the whole idea of keyless entry, remote access etc. It was always destined to be abused when we all know what a spotty 14 year old with a PC is capable of doing to the FBI etc it was only a matter of time.

Manufacturers need to man the **** up on this, blame lies at their door IMO.

Associate
Would you risk it?

Warning002.jpg

Permabanned
There is usually already 12v at the OBD port?

Will's suggestion of putting a hidden switch on one of the lines in the OBD port is the best suggestion.

Although, is it dual line CAN? You might need to kill both or at least the ground as well?

Easy, too.

Back
Top Bottom