Next England Manager

Man of Honour
It appears that Lee Carsley will be taking over for the upcoming England fixtures.

I expect the FA will see this as a trial period, and if he does well, he might get the job. I'm delighted to see the back of Southgate, but this doesn't seem a particularly exciting appointment at all. It would be typical of the FA to take the easy option.

That said, I have heard some positive things in terms of his coaching style, but I don't know much about him.

Assuming he wanted the job, I do like Pochettino. The optics of an Argentinian managing the England team are not lost on me, but he's a great guy and a good manager.

Howe is reasonably good but won't want to leave Newcastle. Potter... might be ok but disappeared after the disaster at Chelsea.

Personally, something is saying to me it's going to be Pep. It feels like the ideal job for him next:

-Lines up with current contract running down
-Less time commitment but keeps him healthy in coaching.
-The best squad we've had in 20 years and on paper the most talented team in the world. (which leads onto the below)
-The opportunity to be the person who won England a World Cup which will cement him as the greatest of all time on most if not all measures.
-Knows the players from current tactical knowledge of his own and the opposition.
-Doesn't appear to be nationalist/wedded to Spain

Maybe it's wishful/fantasy thinking however this interim appointment lines up with it as well.

Nah, Pep's the sort of manager that takes on projects with smaller teams with no budget and turns them in to all conquering winners.

PSG or Juventus for him next, England are too established. Possibly Spain at a push.

Last edited:
I didn't watch more than 20 minutes of the last two tournaments. Refused to watch while that cabbage was still in charge. I will give Carsley a chance, I prefer this to a Klopp or Pep. We have given top quality league managers a chance time and time again and they come up short at best. It's mickey mouse football, let's not waste top quality managers on this dross.

Question is whether any replacement will be compelled to do certain things which compromises them doing the best for England - I've always felt like Southgate was under pressure to play, or didn't have much discretion over playing, certain players even when everyone could see it was handicapping England and sometimes resulting in poor squad balance and/or people playing out of position, etc. I don't really know enough to know how much that was on Southgate or not.

Question is whether any replacement will be compelled to do certain things which compromises them doing the best for England - I've always felt like Southgate was under pressure to play, or didn't have much discretion over playing, certain players even when everyone could see it was handicapping England and sometimes resulting in poor squad balance and/or people playing out of position, etc. I don't really know enough to know how much that was on Southgate or not.
I dont think there is much doubt it was 100% Southgate - always placed experience and past performance for England first over in-form players - didnt matter if they hadnt played all season or only had one leg - still picked.

Southgate barely managed a decent performance, just results, so if Carsley gets the team playing entertaining football give the guy a shot.

If they genuinely believe him to be the best option I am happy to give him a chance, but it's the FA...

Probably what the Spains fans were thinking when they appointed their gaffer..
Spain are a bit of an anomaly, nearly all the players play that sort of way on a weekly basis so it's just a case of picking the players. I'll be happy to have my mind changed but not convinced at all.

Back
Top Bottom