Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Caporegime
Are they still making the 5x? I would really like this phone but it seems Argos are all sold out @ £199.

Hantec state 'due in soon' on the model I want. Is this wrong? Are there any more for handtec to get hold of?

AFAIK, no. Handtec might get some more stock that google need to get rid of...

Only reputable seller left is from amazon around £280-300

Could always check the members market on here for one though.

It's pretty good tbh, fast charge is great too.

This on 7.1?

Soldato
AFAIK, no. Handtec might get some more stock that google need to get rid of...

Only reputable seller left is from amazon around £280-300

Could always check the members market on here for one though.

Thanks Nexus.

I was looking at a Nexus 5 (2013) on hantec for £143 new but then saw and liked the Nexus 5x but it seems sold out for what I wanted to pay (£199 Argos deal). Do you think the 2013 Nexus 5 is just too old now and not worth it?

What about the P9 lite instead of the Nexus 5x?

Caporegime
Thanks Nexus.

I was looking at a Nexus 5 (2013) on hantec for £143 new but then saw and liked the Nexus 5x but it seems sold out for what I wanted to pay (£199 Argos deal). Do you think the 2013 Nexus 5 is just too old now and not worth it?

What about the P9 lite instead of the Nexus 5x?

Nexus 5 is still decent enough but yeah it is getting a bit old now and the 5x is better in pretty much every way, not to mention, the nexus 5 won't be getting any more big updates from google (will remain on marshmallow)

Not sure about the P9 lite tbh, looks similarly specced to the 5x though and huawei make good phones. If you can't push to a oneplus 3, nexus 5x, also have a look at the Xiaomi Mi 5 as well as the ZTE Axon 7 Mini.

Soldato
I cleared the cache on my Nexus 5X the other day and battery life seems a lot better. May be a placebo effect though. Will monitor over the next few days and see what happens.

Associate
There are mods out there if you are any good at soldering.

My soldering has made people laugh and cry simultaneously...It's that bad.

As for the comments about battery, lagging etc; I picked up the 32gb 5x model, and Mrashmallow was actually a really issue in terms of power consumption - after upgrading to nougat, running through battery optimisation again...The 5x certainly runs better than either my Z3+ or Z5 Premium.

beh

beh

Associate
Just bought a 32gb 5x from amazon - "Used - Like New". With the additional 20% student discount on warehouse items it was ~£192 which seemed like a reasonable deal.

Anyway, I've had a moto g for a couple years up to now and the plastic back on it is slightly grippy whereas the 5x is pretty smooth. I don't really care for cases normally but feel I might need to get one to prevent me dropping it. Can anyone recommend something that offers a bit more grip/texture while being fairly minimalist?

beh

beh

Associate
Ta, £6 seems good for the ringke and I see a few reviews mention it being suitably grippy.

From the perspective of just adding a bit of texture to the back dbrand looks very interesting, wasn't aware this type of thing existed. Will perhaps see how I get on with a regular case first.

Associate
Has anyone had the keeps rebooting issue with their 5x?

Phone hard reset a couple of times last night and now it's stuck in a loop - not getting past the Google logo (no Android animation). I can get into the fastboot menu but recovery does the same thing, shows google logo for several seconds then reboots.

So far looks like it needs to go back to LG. Any experiences of a Nexus 5X repair out of warranty here?

Soldato
Has anyone had the keeps rebooting issue with their 5x?

Phone hard reset a couple of times last night and now it's stuck in a loop - not getting past the Google logo (no Android animation). I can get into the fastboot menu but recovery does the same thing, shows google logo for several seconds then reboots.

So far looks like it needs to go back to LG. Any experiences of a Nexus 5X repair out of warranty here?

My friends phone has just recently started doing this. He has been offered a full refund even after it being over a year old. He bought his from the rain forest people.

Soldato
Hm. Damn, but thanks. Did he go via the forest people or LG?

I think the forest people.
I've just been reading about it and there seems to be a fair amount of people reporting this issue. A lot are saying they resolved it by flashing back to Android 6.1 or reflashing the September security patch.

Associate
Can you still do that if you can't get into recovery mode?

Update:
:rolleyes: It has come back, booted in after leaving it trying for 90mins.

Backing up stuff and will try wiping to a clean Android N first, while downloading 6.0.1 ready for rolling back.

Last edited:
Soldato
My N5x died on Thursday night. Bootloop-ing and only managed to get into recovery once. To add insult to injury it crashed while I was Googling a guide on re-flashing. Went back to CPW Friday morning for repair/replacement. Currently rocking a Vodafone Smart Turbo 7!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom