Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Associate
So my 5x seems to have given up. will either not power on or when it does it gets stuck in a boot loop. Does anyone have a good proven guide to reflashing them? Mine isnt rooted, i've been trying to follow https://developers.google.com/android/images but it just tells me my device is locked (assuming that means the bootloader?).

Any ideas before i throw this out of the window and buy a oneplus 3t

Soldato
So my 5x seems to have given up. will either not power on or when it does it gets stuck in a boot loop. Does anyone have a good proven guide to reflashing them? Mine isnt rooted, i've been trying to follow https://developers.google.com/android/images but it just tells me my device is locked (assuming that means the bootloader?).

Any ideas before i throw this out of the window and buy a oneplus 3t

I think they have put it down to hardware failures. Not an uncommon issue for the 5x unfortunately. They suggest to contact the place you bought it from who should allow you to get a refund. My mate had this last month and got a full refund.

Associate
I bought it from carphone warehouse, so i think i'm abit screwed on that :(

I'll ask carphone warehouse anyway, as you say if you dont ask you dont get.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought it from carphone warehouse, so i think i'm abit screwed on that :(

I'll ask carphone warehouse anyway, as you say if you dont ask you dont get.

I've just been reading an article stating that LG were actually offering refunds also. Caroline warehouse may have more info for you at least. No harm in trying. Maybe worth a look on LG website.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's fair to say that it should be reasonably expected that phone should last beyond a little over a year.

I don't think the SoG act is relevant now, but whatever replaced it ought to cover you, assuming your phone is in otherwise good shape.

Associate
So i dropped Carephone warehouse a quick e-mail last night, had a response around 3pm. Advised that they say its a 2 year warranty and that i should have a chat with my local store. They've also confirmed 2 year warranty so i'm going to take it in tomorrow and see what they can do.

In the mean time i'm fighting the urge to buy the oneplus 3t and sell the 5x or keep it as a backup phone.

Soldato
So i dropped Carephone warehouse a quick e-mail last night, had a response around 3pm. Advised that they say its a 2 year warranty and that i should have a chat with my local store. They've also confirmed 2 year warranty so i'm going to take it in tomorrow and see what they can do.

In the mean time i'm fighting the urge to buy the oneplus 3t and sell the 5x or keep it as a backup phone.

Great result! At least all is not lost and you have options now.

Associate
My 5X got stuck in a boot up loop too. 13 months after purchase from CPW...

Used the return/repair form on LG's site, got repaired over the course of 7-8 days without charge.

Associate
Mines currently with cpwh repairs. Showing up on the site as diagnostics. Says i should have the phone back by the 28th but will see.

I am desperately trying to stop myself buying a new phone at the moment. Every day is a struggle hah

Associate
Got the phone back on Frida, new motherboard. All seems well apart from the proximity sensor. When i make a call or answer a call the screen goes black as it would if being held to my face. Just stays black so i cant hang uyp etc. I've set the phone hangup on pressing the power button and that seems to work although i cant use the keyboard etc. I'll have a play tonight, maybe try and disable the sensor but ultimately i think it'll go back to Carphone Warehouse.

Almost! on the bright note, it was a pretty quick turn around. Now to fight the urge to buy another phone for another week or so!

Soldato
I've tried wiping the cache. Doze still appears to be not working correctly.
I think when I upgraded to 7.1.1 I just over written 7.0. When 7.1.2 comes out I'll probably do a fresh install.

In the mean time, Can anyone recommend any apps that can give detailed info on other apps that may be keeping the phone awake?

Glad to hear your phone is back and working again. I hope it stays that way for you.

Soldato
Should be ok. My gf's 5X shut itself down and refused to reboot. Sent it off to LG and it was a smooth experience other than their chosen courier, Inpost, messing up the delivery of the repaired handset. LG were great in sorting the issue though.
It had a new mainboard fitted btw.

Soldato
I also got the reboot bug. Took it into CPW and they replaced the motherboard free of charge and it works fine now.

Just make sure you leave a number and call their Geeksquad people for updates. I was without mine for 4 weeks as I was told it could take that long, so I called after 4 weeks and they told me it had been sitting in the store for collection about 1.5 weeks after it got sent off. No text/call/email from them to tell me it was ready. Very annoying.

Back
Top Bottom