Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
5x is doing the bootloop, I'm reading of compleat horror stories about LG customer service in the UK saying won't fix issues.

Anyone have a good experience, I've rung them twice but they said will ring back each time. so far nothing.

Yeah I've just been hit with the bootloop problem.

Handset randomly black screened and then wouldn't get past Google logo on bootup. Managed to get into recovery and then initiate a format / factory reset from there, but still fails to boot.

Looking online it looks like this problem has hit a lot of people. Have sent off a support ticket on LG website, not expecting much to come of it though.

Associate
Took the plunge, updated smoothly. Phone feels quite slow and laggy now though, so have wiped the cache. Hopefully once that's rebuilt it'll be back up to speed.

Associate
Hmmm, not sure why they felt the need to hide memory management away in developer options. Pretty sure it was just under standard settings with Nougat.

Caporegime
Associate
I can live with the white theme for now.

Mishmash of Icons again is annoying.

I now have a square phone icon, whilst messages, chrome and camera are round. (My main 4)
Some Google app icons have updated, some not.
Not life and death I know, but this stuff should just happen.

Soldato
Went for it and all went fine. I was experiencing a good bit of lag but cleared the cache and it seems to be better. I'll probably do a full wipe over the weekend.

Associate
Hmmm, I have vibrate switched off under system and individual app settings, but the phone now vibrates if I receive a notification whilst I'm using the phone (but not using the app which is notifying). Doesn't vibrate while my phone isn't being used though. It's annoying me!

Associate
Hmmm, I have vibrate switched off under system and individual app settings, but the phone now vibrates if I receive a notification whilst I'm using the phone (but not using the app which is notifying). Doesn't vibrate while my phone isn't being used though. It's annoying me!

Okay, so I have to switch it off for every single notification channel, (regardless of default/ overall settings), including for every single contact. Fun.

Soldato
I bought my phone from the Google store on the 29th of September 2015 and encountered the boot loop issue a couple of days ago. Having 2 weeks left in my warranty I didn't want to faff about trying to fix the issue myself (also, couldn't get into recovery mode) so contacted Google support and they're sending out a refurb as a replacement for me.

If anyone else has the same issue and bought direct from Google then I'd recommend just contacting them.

Soldato
I updated OTA and had WiFi connectivity issues with it. Had to wipe and reflash and now it's all working perfectly (except the banking apps that haven't been updated to work with Oreo).

Soldato
Upgraded my 5x last week, finding performance a bit slow here so glad to know I'm not the only one. When you guys are saying you cleared the cache are you referring to emptying it for each app, or something different? I don't see a global cache anywhere that I can clear.
On the whole it seems to be stable and look fine. Not really noticing any new features, battery life seems to actually be a little better since the upgrade - but maybe I'm just using it less in the day!

Associate
Upgraded my 5x last week, finding performance a bit slow here so glad to know I'm not the only one. When you guys are saying you cleared the cache are you referring to emptying it for each app, or something different? I don't see a global cache anywhere that I can clear.
On the whole it seems to be stable and look fine. Not really noticing any new features, battery life seems to actually be a little better since the upgrade - but maybe I'm just using it less in the day!

I cleared the cache as detailed here: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-clear-the-cache-on-the-nexus-5x

Seemed to help, phone is back up to speed I think. Not sure about battery life as I've been messing around with it more than usual.

Soldato
Thanks for that, all sorted now after a little issue due to missreading a step / it not being quite as clear as it could have been. "Press and hold the power button and press volume up", there's me holding both down and resetting the phone a few times before realising I'm clearly doing stuff wrong!

So far seems good though, no obvious slow down since clearing it. Battery life still looking to be an improvement on the new build too :)

Back
Top Bottom