Nexus 5 leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Find it near impossible to get decent pictures on my n4, prefer the s3 camera by a mile. Still happy to have swapped my gs3 for the n4 however as i am not too fussed about cameras lol.

Soldato
And to the price point - personally I'd rather pay less. Smartphones are way too expensive as it is. The Nexus 4 bucking that trend is something I hope to see continue. Elsewhere, OEMs are pushing the bounds of what's reasonable. Paying over half a grand for a phone in today's world is a struggle for many I should think. That said, Apple don't have too much trouble parting people from their hard earned.

There's a reason why the Nexus range so far has been cheap.....its been lacking technology compared to other phones.

- Bad camera
- Screen isnt all that great compared to 1080p phones which are now widely available
- No expandable storage
- Speaker is very poor
- Not the prettiest

You take all that into account and the £289 16Gb Nexus 4 isnt really a bargain. Its actually a pretty high price for what you actually get.

If the Nexus 5 comes out before XMAS and is priced around £300 it still wont be as good as the S4 which is now down to £420 NEW so factor that is and its not really going to be a steal.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a reason why the Nexus range so far has been cheap.....its been lacking technology compared to other phones.

- Bad camera
- Screen isnt all that great compared to 1080p phones which are now widely available
- No expandable storage
- Speaker is very poor
- Not the prettiest

You take all that into account and the £289 16Gb Nexus 4 isnt really a bargain. Its actually a pretty high price for what you actually get.

If the Nexus 5 comes out before XMAS and is priced around £300 it still wont be as good as the S4 which is now down to £420 NEW so factor that is and its not really going to be a steal.

You're joking right? Have a look at all of the devices available for £289 SIM-free now (let alone a year ago), and tell me that they even come close, even with the Nexus 4's faults. Let alone at £199 as it is now.

Lacking technology? The SoC was very new and considered the best of the best back then on the Android side (the first phone to get the S4 Pro was the Optimus G IIRC - ie. the same phone, with a different enclosure). There were fewer than a handful of 1080p devices available back when the N4 was released.

As for stock Android, you don't get any of the bloatware and poor design touches that you get with TW, for example. Obviously a matter of preference as to which is better, but there are a huge number of people who feel that the TW experience is, as you put it for the stock Android experience, rubbish.

Then there are the updates. Nexus devices actually get them, when they're announced. As opposed to OEMs dropping support for devices within a year and a bit of release, or taking their sweet time to provide updates to older than current Android releases.

No, the N4 isn't perfect. No device is. However, even with it's fault, it was a bargain, and still is. If you cannot see this, even simply from an objective point of view, you are moronic.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

- Bad camera
- No expandable storage
- Speaker is very poor
- Not the prettiest

Can't tell if serious ? :-/

The quad core SoC which was released on this phone the end of the last year was the forefront of chips at the time and at the price of the phone it was amazing.. Also 2gb ram! The screen is great and looks stunning when calibrated properly... The phone still craps over most phones out there... With the next generation coming in soon by the looks of it it will do the same.

I purchased the nexus 4 as soon as it was released.. Broke it four months later. Got an iPhone 5 sold that.. Got a galaxy s3... Sold that got a HTC one, sold that.. Now I'm back to the nexus.. I haven't liked a device so much as I do this..

Nexus forever!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to agree, during the N4 release, it pretty much was mind blowing for the price (although I have to agree the camera was on the low side). If you compare it to current flagship phones now it just shows you how fast the mobile technology world moves :p.

I'm expecting the N5 to match current top end phones anyway. Sure it doesn't give them the best device in terms of technology, but they're still amazing for price/performance.

Soldato
I dont know why every one BIGS up the stock android experience. Stock android is rubbish! Its hardly got any features. It hasnt even got a quick reply for SMS for gods sake. Its way too bland!

Thank god for custom roms otherwise i dont think i would ever buy a stock android device. Before anyone asks, I've had stock android on my GS4 and it lasted less than 24hrs.

Even when i had the Nexus 4 i installed PA after 12hrs because stock just didnt do anything for me. I like the UI but the features are lacking.

As for this being the Nexus 5......i hope its camera is better because the N4 camera is poo.

I'm not bothered about it being £300~ I'd like a premium phone from Google with cutting edge tech and a great camera. Why they cant release a budget, a midrange and a top end Nexus 5 is beyond me. HTC and Samsung do it and I'm sure Google can too.

- Bad camera
- No expandable storage
- Speaker is very poor
- Not the prettiest

The PPI of 1080p on anything less than 6" screen sizes is just pointless. What's with the obsession with 1080p? Screen resolution isn't anywhere near as important as having the right screen resolution & GPU combo.

Are you going to get a 1080p screen with a SoC powerful enough to push those pixels in a phone that's at Nexus 4 price points? No

For the hardware and price, the Nexus 4 was nothing but a steal.

Associate
OP
The PPI of 1080p on anything less than 6" screen sizes is just pointless. What's with the obsession with 1080p? Screen resolution isn't anywhere near as important as having the right screen resolution & GPU combo.

Are you going to get a 1080p screen with a SoC powerful enough to push those pixels in a phone that's at Nexus 4 price points? No

For the hardware and price, the Nexus 4 was nothing but a steal.

Amen.

Soldato
There are some lovely features with touchwiz, but the cons far outweigh the pros.

Even now Google had put many of the core android experiences in apps so that every phone should have access to them (and therefore system updates are less important), the skinned roms all suffer fugly syndrome and don't allow me to get rid of all the carp they put in.

If I could choose to cut out all the Samsung services pap and run stock launcher on touchwiz easily that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can, pretty much.

Not without rooting and configuring a third party launcher.

I don't have the time or inclination to spend hours trying to set up my phone like this. I want it to work out of the box and not look like a collection of Lego blocks (which is why I don't really like iOS)

Stock android achieves this.

Man of Honour
I may be tempted away from my S4 depending on the price point and how much storage they give you, since getting the new N7 I'm enjoying the much cleaner Android experience with the odd little tweak here and there from custom ROMS

Caporegime
Nexus 4 is a great phone especially when you take into account the price. The only downsides of it are:

- camera is poor overall
- speaker is very quiet
- screen isn't quite as good as other LCD displays in terms of calibration

Stock android is really nice too but personally for me is far too basic and limited but then touchwiz is ugly looking, too bloated with no unified feel whatsoever. Sense still wins in the skin department IMO.

The only area where 1080p is great and very noticeable over 720p is when browsing.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only area where 1080p is great and very noticeable over 720p is when browsing.

1080p was a noticeable improvement over the 720p on the S3 due to the Pentile Matrix. A welcome improvement which my eyes can definitely see.

Anything more than 1080p RGB under 10 inches is indeed an over kill.

Soldato
Why did everyone buy a Nexus 4 if the screen isn't great, the sound isn't great, the camera isn't great and the battery life isn't great?! :p

Soldato
Do consumers really want gigantic phones like this? Or is this just the result of the numbers war that we have (more cores, higher clock speeds and bigger displays = a better device)?

The Nexus 4 is about the right size, if anything I'd want a 720p display at 4.3". 5.2" or even 5.0" is getting a little silly.

The LG G2 is barely any bigger than a Nexus 4, the screen goes right to the edge though. In fact I'd say the G2 actually feels smaller in the hand.

Soldato
The LG G2 is barely any bigger than a Nexus 4, the screen goes right to the edge though. In fact I'd say the G2 actually feels smaller in the hand.

It isn't about the size of the device, it's about the display. The similar dimensions of the device itself will no doubt help, however it still doesn't detract from the fact that the device will be more cumbersome to use some of the time.

Soldato
A ~4" device is perfect for comfortable and quick one handed operation, 7-8" is brilliant for general use.

These 5-6" phones are the worst of both worlds imo, maybe OEMs are setting us up for wearable computers (watch, glasses etc) to replace that portability with two devices? :p

I'm still hoping there'll be a 2013 Nexus 4 with a 4" screen in addition to the N5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom