*** Nexus 5 THE Official Thread ***

Associate
I can see where his thinking is coming from though, the S4 has expandable storage so if you've already got the SD card then it sort of makes sense.

Only if the expandable memory was free and everyone could get it for free. Otherwise it is an irrelevant comparsion

Soldato
Well it arrived finally at 6PM last night. driver seemed a little annoyed he has so many to deliver so had to work later yesterday :p

After first day of use I'm very impressed, feels great to hold, super smooth and fast doing everything. Battery holding up well, 8 hours in, 2.5 hours screen on with 90 mins of music and still at 27%. My ageing Note one would have been shot by dinner time with same usage.

Associate
Can anyone give me a hint on how to plug this into the PC to transfer files to it? Plugged in, switching between either USB mode does nothing, Nexus is showing up in Device Manager as having no drivers, and I can't find any that work anywhere, even disabled Windows driver enforcement thing and still no dice.

Associate
Can anyone give me a hint on how to plug this into the PC to transfer files to it? Plugged in, switching between either USB mode does nothing, Nexus is showing up in Device Manager as having no drivers, and I can't find any that work anywhere, even disabled Windows driver enforcement thing and still no dice.

Have a read of this to see if it helps:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2511829

Soldato
Battery life today: 100%-69% in 9h07m.
Usage: On the desk at work regular monitoring of GMail (sent a few emails), Twitter (sent a few Tweets) and Facebook, ~2 hours of MP3 'Play Music'. Connected via WiFi.
Losing 31% in 9h07m would suggest 29hr40m of total life (assuming linear battery discharge. I'm pretty happy with that.

Soldato
Only if the expandable memory was free and everyone could get it for free. Otherwise it is an irrelevant comparison

I get that not everyone will have a memory card lying around but a 16GB Micro SD card can be had for around a fiver so you can compare apples to apples.

The 32GB Nexus is £339 and the S4 is £419 from Amazon (£414 for the 16GB S4 plus £5 for 16GB SD card).

That equates to a difference of only £80.

It's down to each person to decide which features make the most difference to them, for me the better screen, camera and speaker plus expandable memory look to be worth the money despite the Nexus having a faster CPU/GPU and running stock.

Soldato
i think the main benefit is cost and stock android and updates months before other phones, etc.

some people just don't want to spend £350+ on a phone they will only use for 12 months max.

Indeed, I'd never consider spending £350-400 on a phone. The Nexus 5 is fantastic for £295. Sure - there is better hardware out there, but not close to that price point. I'm not interested in in best phone, I'm interested in the best value phone. It's subjective, of course, but for me this is significantly better than anything else.

Soldato
I get that not everyone will have a memory card lying around but a 16GB Micro SD card can be had for around a fiver so you can compare apples to apples.

The 32GB Nexus is £339 and the S4 is £419 from Amazon (£414 for the 16GB S4 plus £5 for 16GB SD card).

GS4 is £388 from Amazon fulfilled

Soldato
It's down to each person to decide which features make the most difference to them, for me the better screen, camera and speaker plus expandable memory look to be worth the money despite the Nexus having a faster CPU/GPU and running stock.

agreed. I know not everyone likes Samsung software but stuff like S-Planner is so much better than google calendar too. So many people jumping on it without actually doing the sums. If this phone was £250 I'd be all over it, but it's not.

Now it's just a case of S4 vs LG G2 or wait for the N5 to drop (unlikely as they're clearly not struggling with sales:p)

Soldato
I've downgraded from note 3 to n5 and enjoying one handed operation again :D

Note 3 being amazing it was just wasted on me and never used it's features. Figure Il get n5 save some cash and see what the next 6 months brings

Soldato

That equates to a difference of only £80.

Dont forget though that only certain things can be stored on the SD, so although it is expandable you may be limited to what you can use it for.

Movies, your own music etc fine. Google cached music, some apps not fine.

Man of Honour
Just opened mine up and set it up, handcent is working fine for me for SMS. Allows you to set it as default and I've not had any problems sending and receiving a few texts.

Back
Top Bottom