NFL 2018 Season

Soldato
Cool, which Uni and how long ago? I would guess I was quite some time before, I think it was '94 and '95 I played for the Leicester Lemmings :)

Really we need some video examples to perhaps break down what they are doing. I think it's easy to say they're not doing it well, don't forget they are also trying to tackle the best of the best in a lot of cases (well, not Brees running, but you know what I mean ;) )

I'll try dig up some examples but a prime one on my mind at the moment is if you have a look at the Bengals/Panthers highlights from this week and o think it's the second Newton TD and Williams deplorable tackle attempt.

I was '04 & '05 I believe I played (too long ago :D) for Newcastle university. I can't remember the exact years but I played a fair bit one year but not the second as I (being completely honest) went complete booze hound and couldn't be bothered with the 2 times per week practice and then losing a day to a game as well.

Soldato
I'll spoiler this time just incase

Fitzmagic is dead, glory be the return of the dumbass :D be a real tough choice for the coach next game as he did get better in the second half. Missed most the second half though as I fell asleep.

Soldato
talib been put on IR and peters out for no idea how long, so much for our signings :(

can see us getting battered by the vikings with the replacement secondary in place, crossing my fingers that Phillips produces on his plays to cover for it.

Soldato
talib been put on IR and peters out for no idea how long, so much for our signings :(

can see us getting battered by the vikings with the replacement secondary in place, crossing my fingers that Phillips produces on his plays to cover for it.

Are you just being deliberately negative to keep the underdog tag? Apart from a few D issues because of injuries the Rams are widely (and rightly) considered the best in the NFL right now.

Your offense is scorching.

Soldato
I don't particularly like the Rams, so it pains me to say they are currently the team to beat, no doubt.

What I can't get my head around is how different Goff is. It's amazing. In his rookie season he was throwing the ball in the dirt 5 yards from a receiver, when he didn't even have much pressure on him. He looked awful. Last night was ridiculous. The TD he threw, scrambling right, into the corner of the endzone is such a hard pass and he threw it within inches of perfection. And that wasn't the only one. I've not checked his figures and I was watching 'Game in 40' of it this morning, not always paying full attention, but he looked outrageously good, one of the best QB performances I've seen in a while. :mad:

Soldato
Both him and Cousins were throwing insanely accurate, eye of the needle passes all night. I think it was Cousins one on their first TD he dropped it only an inch above the stretching Rams D and perfectly into his reciever arms. Goff was just as good chucking regularly and beating coverage every time.

Easily best shootout this season, best I can remember in a long time with 2 QB's performing at such a high level.

Soldato
disapointing from the rams on the defensive side again, bills keep the vikings to single figures yet we let them nearly batter us.

my problem with goff is he still has the ability to make major mistakes at important times, i know qb's makes mistakes but the majority of his always seem to be at point where it would ease the pressure off us, along with the fact he doesn't seem to have any obvious awareness around him when hes under pressure.

i can see us making the playoffs, but don't think we'll go far unless phillips wakes up and remembers how to play defence, i know i go on about him, but all i've seen since his appointment hasn't held up for me when i see the defence play so poorly game after game.

Are you just being deliberately negative to keep the underdog tag? Apart from a few D issues because of injuries the Rams are widely (and rightly) considered the best in the NFL right now..

not at all, the offence i'm more than happy with, its far more than we would have needed in the past to win games, number of times just 1 touchdown would have won us games is beyond a joke.

defensivly i think we've been poorer over the last couple of seasons , they change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 due to phillips coming in and the number of points we're conceding isn't good enough, this is from a defence that could hold a half decent seahawks side to single digits.

edit:

just seen mention of Goff's stats from last night:

He finished the game with 465 yards on 26-for-33 passing with five touchdowns and zero interceptions. That stat line earned him a perfect passer rating of 158.3, which has only been accomplished 44 times in history.

His performance, however, featured more pass attempts than any of the QBs with a perfect rating. Goff made NFL history with the most pass attempts by a quarterback with a perfect passer rating. Only two quarterbacks had reached the 158.3 plateau with at least 30 pass attempts: Kurt Warner (30) and Ken O’Brien (32).

Last edited:
Soldato
Ken O'Brien!? Oh. I'm less impressed by that stat now :p (You younger guys probably wont remember him)

when you see some of the others on the perfect passing rating, as you say the impression level dropssssssss :D

last qb to have a perfect passer rating was kirk cousins in 2015, mind you gino smith is also on the list :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't wait until the weekend, I'm really enjoying it this season it just seems a more passing friendly league as opposed to the past seasons which seemed more D focused and run driving which is, frankly, boring.

Soldato
Such a random performance from him.

I would have had the Dolphins on an upset on the Pats but they've been stomped. Fitzmagic benched now, sad it's over :p

Bengals at the death :D:D:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, the Bengals game was amazing, as was the Titans and Eagles (Redskins now top of the NFC East :D ) Just now watching the Texans and Colts which is now tied with a couple of minutes left on OT after a FG by each team. Some really good games.

Soldato
Well, although it cost them the game, I like the Colts decision to go for the 4th down in overtime. It was probably the worst pass we'd seen Luck throw, which was the big shame. But I like the rolled the dice and kept their fate in their own hands. The commentators clearly didn't agree, saying they didn't understand the aggression... although it's always Americans complaining about tied games.

Associate
like wth has happened to Mitch Trubisky?!?!

Such a random performance from him.

Glorious is a better word to describe yesterday's Bears game. Not sure quite what's changed with Trubisky but whatever it is. I hope they don't forget to keep doing it after the bye week.

Such a dramatic change. His footwork was on a different level and as a result all the accuracy issues of the first three weeks had gone. Sure it was against a dire Bucs D, at home and the O Line was great (including Kevin White's blocking?!). Also silly stuff like the high snapping has been eradicated.

Who knows, we might be dangerous with an offense.

:cool:

Elsewhere some great finishes. Enjoyed watching the Titans/Eagles ending for examples. A few really good games this weekend.

Associate
Remember back in the good old days when the Steelers were pretty decent at that football lark.

What happened eh? I would like to blame Bell, but this is on the coordinators and play calling. Butler can't run the defense, and Fitchner doesn't know what to do with Brown. Never thought I would miss Todd Haley, but it has happened.

At least we'll get a decent draft pick next season :D

Soldato
some really good games this weekend, feel sorry for the colts, luck with nearly 500yds, 0 interceptions and a loss.

Yeah, he gave my fantasy team hope, but they still lost like the Colts did. I like their call to go for it though, unfortunately it was perhaps Luck's worst pass of the game...

not happy with the coverage when they cut off from the raiders/browns game tho :mad:

Yeah, was just watching the end of Red Zone and I don't know what happened still!!!

Back
Top Bottom