Soldato
I work away from home a lot on the rigs. Well, not a lot, of time or work to be fair. But I am usually on my own, so generally do a 12-24 shift if I can. At the end of the shift I usually eat / smoke then watch a movie. If I'm not alone, I'll try to do nights as that's usually where the actual work happens, but also there are less important people kicking around.

But at home, as I am now, I generally find myself going to bed anytime between 0200 - 0400 depending on how I'm feeling. Usually up around 0900 though. I do have 2 kids, but my wife takes the morning shift, and I do the night shift. They aren't the best sleepers (like me I guess).

I generally blame my first proper job. I used to work a back-shift, so was 14:30 - 23:00 roughly (IIRC). Did that shift for years. So I usually slip back into a similar sleeping pattern to that. I hate getting up early for actual work if I'm required to do so. But can generally manage ok. I find as long as I get around 6 hours sleep I'm ok. But usually much less than that for the first couple nights on dayshifts.

Soldato
In a true dilemma currently.

I'm now doing the job I've studied and worked towards for the last 20 years but did not factor in having to work nights while doing it, been on perm night now for the last 2 months and honestly I have never been so tired in my life, I hate them already but I love the job and the salary is superb.....

But I'm moody, tired all the time and have no energy as I simply can't sleep properly during daylight hours, anyone have any tips?

Soldato
OP
That will no help.

Honestly though, late night radio helps me a fair bit. Kinda enjoy current affairs/call in shows like the BBC London 94.9 stuff, helps you drift off eventually.

Back
Top Bottom