Nightmares as an adult?

Soldato
I dreamt that I had a crash on the way to work a few weeks ago. Someone ran a red there was nothing I could do to avoid it. Ended up hurting my back and hip going for the sleep brake pedal :cry: still makes me cautious at that junction

Soldato
Used to have terrible nightmares as a child

I felt like I was awake but paralysed with some type of demon or ghost in the room attacking me

As an adult I still get the occasional nightmare but nothing even close to when i was young

Soldato
Used to have terrible nightmares as a child

I felt like I was awake but paralysed with some type of demon or ghost in the room attacking me

As an adult I still get the occasional nightmare but nothing even close to when i was young

That literally sounds like sleep paralysis.

Soldato
That literally sounds like sleep paralysis.

Yeah your right, i just looked that up and found a description that matches my experience. I definitely remember a demon. I was terrified for sure.
I still remember it in my 40`s.

"Sleep paralysis may include hallucinations, such as an intruding presence or dark figure in the room. These are commonly known as sleep paralysis demons"

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I’ve had sleep paralysis a few times, thankfully it doesn’t last long. But my god the energy it feels like I’m trying to expel by screaming is insane. Every ounce of energy trying to come through my voice. Turns out i don’t actually make a noise, it’s all in the dream.

My recent recurring nightmares, or anxiety-mares more like, are all about being late and/or losing stuff or having it stolen. Usually I’m on some kind of trip and the way back to the airport / business meeting gets held up because my car/ bike / bag has been stolen. That sets of a futile hunt where it takes forever to get around. Like trying to punch the bully in your dream but it making no impact, the same happens when i try to hunt for the things ive lost. And the world keeps shifting to make the place i thought i was going, not be that place anymore. Just really annoying and kinda tiring

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah your right, i just looked that up and found a description that matches my experience. I definitely remember a demon. I was terrified for sure.
I still remember it in my 40`s.

"Sleep paralysis may include hallucinations, such as an intruding presence or dark figure in the room. These are commonly known as sleep paralysis demons"

Only had it once and it was this year. Was a shadowy figure and I was very aware I couldn't move. Horrible.

Soldato
Sleep paralysis is one of the most distressing things. I’ve almost got used to it now but I do get them where I can’t escape from it for what feels like extended periods, generally 30-60 seconds and they are by far the worse. If I am by myself it takes a lot longer to wake up from them, if my fiance is with me she just needs to touch me and I’m out of it.

The worst ones are when I get out of the paralysis, then fall straight back in to another; which is what happened last night. In those occasions I’m afraid to go back to sleep again. About a month ago it happened four times in one night, in the end it made me frankly so upset I was petrified to go back to sleep.

This has been happening since I was a teenager but back then it only happened once or twice a year. As I’ve got older it now happens almost every night or every other night if I’m lucky.

I started recording them last year to see what was going on as I was waking up covered in scratches. Turns out I am scratching myself, thrashing around and moaning/shouting while in the paralysis and trying to wake myself out of it.

Ironically it makes me not want to sleep, so I stay up later, but staying up later makes me more likely to have them…

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Sleep paralysis is one of the most distressing things. I’ve almost got used to it now but I do get them where I can’t escape from it for what feels like extended periods, generally 30-60 seconds and they are by far the worse. If I am by myself it takes a lot longer to wake up from them, if my fiance is with me she just needs to touch me and I’m out of it.

The worst ones are when I get out of the paralysis, then fall straight back in to another; which is what happened last night. In those occasions I’m afraid to go back to sleep again. About a month ago it happened four times in one night, in the end it made me frankly so upset I was petrified to go back to sleep.

This has been happening since I was a teenager but back then it only happened once or twice a year. As I’ve got older it now happens almost every night or every other night if I’m lucky.

I started recording them last year to see what was going on as I was waking up covered in scratches. Turns out I am scratching myself, thrashing around and moaning/shouting while in the paralysis and trying to wake myself out of it.

Ironically it makes me not want to sleep, so I stay up later, but staying up later makes me more likely to have them…

That's quite extreme. Have you spoken to your doctor yet?

Soldato
That's quite extreme. Have you spoken to your doctor yet?

Yeah, mentioned a bit previously but I had a sleep study done in hospital, was diagnosed with REM sleep disorder. Not much you can do to treat it unfortunately.

I tend to have them when I get too hot in bed. Usually I am being oppressed in some way or trying and failing to do something. I never used to remember my dreams for many a year until I started to be clean living and stopped my bad habits. Recently I have had a few, being chased while on a motorbike without a helmet and being worried of falling off. Can't really remember the others. Ah yes, my old best friend who I suspect is dead now (he was a raging alchy) was wanting a lift somewhere and I was driving him in an electric car and we ended up in someone's front room. They were in their garden and didn't see us. Dreams are weird.

Back
Top Bottom