Nightmares as an adult?

Associate
I have nightmares on a nightly basis, and sleep paralysis. Had a sleep study done earlier this year and was diagnosed with REM sleep disorder.

I fear going to bed every night.

No sleep paralysis but yeah, most nights. But worse than that.. mine are like a VCR, I wake up, I go to the loo or something and then fall asleep and rejoin the nightmare where I left off. It's quite depressing....

Associate
I get them from time to time.. I had a really messed up one in my early 30's.. No doubt I will be called a freak :cry:

So I fell asleep with the then girlfriend. I had some random nightmare, i think it was to do with being traped and having a bomb next to me. I went bolt up right and starting screaming but the funny thing is so did my girlfriend.

I then felt like something grabbed me and then threw me down with so much force into my side bed cabinet it split my head open, I then found myself on the floor with blood gushing out of my head.

The freaky thing is my girlfriend had no memory of going bolt upright screaming or me doing it so just thought it was part of the dream. While we were in A&E (required 4 stitches it was that deep) she couldn't understand why her throat was hurting so much as was mine.

I didn't sleep for days after that and to this day I still cant get my head round what the hell happened.

Soldato
Ah brilliant. I had a suspicion it may have been my opium addiction and crazy lifestyle.
You say that, but painkillers that include opiates like codeine and such give me awful nightmares. I feel as though I haven’t slept.

Another one is sometimes I’ll be falling asleep, and it’s as if a jolt of lightning or electricity shoots through my body waking me back up. Super frustrating.

Soldato
No sleep paralysis but yeah, most nights. But worse than that.. mine are like a VCR, I wake up, I go to the loo or something and then fall asleep and rejoin the nightmare where I left off. It's quite depressing....

And now I have the mental image of a bunch of bored looking monsters staring at their watches and muttering "How long is he going to be in the toilet this time?".

Associate
I’m pretty sure you slept in a haunted house mate.

You know what I thought that but I’d lived in that place for years with nothing weird going on but the force that I hit the cabinet really did freak me out.

My Mrs at the time took me to A&E and all the nurses kept doing was taking me away from her asking if I’d been the victim of domestic violence because they weren’t buying my explanation :cry:

Soldato
Every now and then I have one where I am vapourised by a storm of nukes. I am in a tall tower building with glass windows. I see about a dozen nukes drop and the pulse coming towards me.

I stand there and say "I told you this is how it would end".

The first time I had it, I physically felt the sensation of being vapourised from my toes up to my head, at the point of reaching the top of my head I woke up. Similar the second time.

Apparently this kind of dream is caused by stress?

Very strange sensation as I rarely remember my dreams so vividly, so the fact I feel physical sensation in this one is very odd, especially given I have had it a number of times.

Soldato
a lot of my dreams involve zombies or demons and ultraviolence, to the point i consider a wet dream being one drenched in blood :D wouldn't call them nightmares though, they entertain me rather than terrifying me. i have a recurring one about ghosts or invisible evil entities coming for me and i stand up to them, generally wake myself up yelling "come on then!!" or such. just as well i live alone i guess :D

Soldato
"a lot of my dreams involve zombies or demons and ultraviolence, to the point i consider a wet dream being one drenched in blood :D wouldn't call them nightmares though, they entertain me rather than terrifying me. i have a recurring one about ghosts or invisible evil entities coming for me and i stand up to them, generally wake myself up yelling "come on then!!" or such. just as well i live alone i guess :D

That reminds me of a former work colleague/drinking mate. I was in the hotel room next to his and in the middle of the night he was shouting his head off "No! No! Ahhh!" etc. and at one point really sounded as though he was being murdered. In the morning at breakfast he denied everything. Shouting? Bad dream? Not me...

Soldato
A weird one, but a few times a year I’ll have a dream that involves me ending up driving a car, which when I try to reverse it for whatever reason, ends up speeding out of control. The brakes do nothing and the throttle seems stuck, so the car’s building up speed, way beyond what a car would actually do, and I’m struggling to see where I’m going and desperately trying to avoid hitting things. The sense of panic builds up until the point it jolts me awake, so I never know what happens in the end. The dream itself is different everytime, but always ends up in that same situation. Dunno what a psychologist might make of it.

Man of Honour
A weird one, but a few times a year I’ll have a dream that involves me ending up driving a car, which when I try to reverse it for whatever reason, ends up speeding out of control. The brakes do nothing and the throttle seems stuck, so the car’s building up speed, way beyond what a car would actually do, and I’m struggling to see where I’m going and desperately trying to avoid hitting things. The sense of panic builds up until the point it jolts me awake, so I never know what happens in the end. The dream itself is different everytime, but always ends up in that same situation. Dunno what a psychologist might make of it.

I usually have the opposite if I dream about cars - I'm trying to get somewhere but the car seems glacially slow and won't seem to get going.

Soldato
Used to have bad ones where I'd scream in my sleep, wake our lass up all the time, and probably the neighbours lol.

Weird thing is I would try to get the dream going again, nighttime Adrenaline junkie I guess, but not had a 'screaming ' nightmare since my daughter was born which I find bizarre as well.

Caporegime
I used to have a recurring nightmare that Robocop 2 was on the dark side of the moon and he would swim through space but would only do it whilst I slept but he kept getting closer and closer. Luckily he never got to earth but I was too scared to sleep!

Soldato
Reading some of these makes me glad I don't often get nightmares. More commonly (but still only once or twice a year) I have a dream where I do something bad, usually cheat on my partner, and have this horrible feeling I can't undo it and there are consequences coming my way. Generally wake up and take a minute to let the relief sink in as I realise it wasn't real.

Pretty sure I've had this sort of dream a few times! I don't hear sound in my dreams at all but the feeling of losing control and trying to stop is familiar. I also used to have dreams as I drifted off, about driving, but just pressing a button to go and stop, if I'd been playing a lot of GTA!

I used to have a recurring nightmare that Robocop 2 was on the dark side of the moon and he would swim through space but would only do it whilst I slept but he kept getting closer and closer. Luckily he never got to earth but I was too scared to sleep!
Rowboatcop would get here faster :D

Soldato
I've not suffered from this myself but for a few months out in Iraq in 2006 I shared a tent with 2 other guys, one of which got "night terrors". So in a place where tensions might be considered a tadge higher than normal, having your well needed rest period broken by someone who "for no reason" suddenly screaming out in their sleep was an unfun but novel introduction to the term Night Terror.

It wasn't every night but it happened at least once every few days and lasted a few seconds over multiple times that night. The first time led to a very interesting conversation afterwards I'll tell you!

Last edited:
Soldato
I do a lot. I used to suffer night terrors where I would physically mash things like glass and mirrors in my hands, wake up screaming with bloody hands. It was not a good time.

Back
Top Bottom