Nightmares as an adult?

Soldato
Just bizarre dreams, not nightmares.

It's the sometimes sleeping with my eyes open that buggers me though, my eyes get so dry. Sometimes I have to mentally tell myself to shut the damn things.

It's freaked my OH out a few times.

When i was posted to Germany with the army we were in 6 man rooms. 1 lad was sat on his bed, controller in hand with Sonic playing on his NEW Megadrive. I asked him for a shot and he didn't respond, turns out he fell asleep sitting up with his eyes open - freak!

Last edited:
Soldato
I had something in my early 20's. Woke up in the early hours and just had a feeling of dread and terror. It also felt like there was something on my chest as i struggled to breathe and i couldn't move anything except my eyes. When my eyes had adjusted to the dark, i saw something like this on top of me:

SmKbNcR.jpg

Never happened before, never happened since, but years later a friend mentioned sleep paralysis. At the time my mum was dying from cancer, so i put the experience down to the emotional and fragile state i was in.

But, i will never forget the feeling of hopelessness, terror and paralysis i experienced that night :(

Soldato
I have nightmares on a nightly basis, and sleep paralysis. Had a sleep study done earlier this year and was diagnosed with REM sleep disorder.

I fear going to bed every night.
Is that where Michael Stipe breaks into your house every night and stands at the end of your bed singing Shiny Happy People acapella?

Soldato
I had something in my early 20's. Woke up in the early hours and just had a feeling of dread and terror. It also felt like there was something on my chest as i struggled to breathe and i couldn't move anything except my eyes. When my eyes had adjusted to the dark, i saw something like this on top of me:

SmKbNcR.jpg

Never happened before, never happened since, but years later a friend mentioned sleep paralysis. At the time my mum was dying from cancer, so i put the experience down to the emotional and fragile state i was in.

But, i will never forget the feeling of hopelessness, terror and paralysis i experienced that night :(
Classic sleep paralysis symptoms. And medieval people had names for those demons they called them Incubus and Succubus's

Soldato
When i was posted to Germany with the army we were in 6 man rooms. 1 lad was sat on his bed, controller in hand with Sonic playing on his NEW Megadrive. I asked him for a shot and he didn't respond, turns out he fell asleep sitting up with his eyes open - freak!
Ha! I don't go that far, I definitely have to be prone :)

Soldato

SmKbNcR.jpg

This is me at least once a night often twice or more. It’s truly grim.

Soldato
I was involved in a bad climbing accident a couple years ago and ended up having nightmares for a while after. I guess I had PTSD and probably should have seen someone about it!

Associate
I sometimes have weird anxiety dreams involving bad guys or alien invasion scenarios. I'm running around and hiding trying to find ammunition for a gun I have, but its always the wrong calibre.

Man of Honour
i saw something like this on top of me:

Reminds me - not sleep paralysis or a nightmare but I once woke up and where my coat was hanging on a hook on the door instead was a jet black horses head with the most evil baleful eyes as real as actually seeing it for a good few seconds. Definitely gave me a bit of a start.

A weirder one in some ways was waking up and for a few moments there was this weird triangle of lights on some kind of flexy arm seeming to be intruding into reality at the foot of my bed - as I kind of swiped at it with my arm it disappeared but again for a moment was as real as if it was actually there.

Doesn't happen often but I've had a couple of other instances where for a moment I could see writing on my bedroom wall in one instance (mostly numbers) and a spider in another - neither real.

Man of Honour
I rarely dream, or at least I don't remember having them when I wake up. But when I do they are usually nightmares or unpleasant ones.

Associate
I sometimes get anxiety dreams where I'm back at uni again and will be missing some deadline. The last one a few months ago, I remember it was nearly the end of the academc year, but I was both nonchalant yet internally freaking out that I had not done any of the coursework at all.

Not too sure what it meant, as I finished uni over 10 years ago, and I'm not particularly stressed or have any looming deadlines in other areas of my life.

Man of Honour
I don’t get many anymore.

I used to get terrible nightmares as a kid and a fair few sleep paralysis episodes in my 20s, even waking up in tears one morning where I kept getting stabbed in my sleep, thinking I had woken up, only for it to keep happening.

Funny enough since I bulked up in the gym something in my head has obviously changed, because any typical nightmares have been me beating the crap out of anything ‘nightmarish’. I’ll take it.

My subconscious one upped me a couple of nights ago having me pursued by a literal terminator. I did not win that one. Clearly more gym time needed :p

******* stupid imagination.

Edit: yes, as above, I still get the maths exam hall where I’ve forgotten the exam was coming up and haven’t revised. Why I did A Level maths I’ll never know, horrific subject.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sometimes get anxiety dreams where I'm back at uni again and will be missing some deadline. The last one a few months ago, I remember it was nearly the end of the academc year, but I was both nonchalant yet internally freaking out that I had not done any of the coursework at all.

Not too sure what it meant, as I finished uni over 10 years ago, and I'm not particularly stressed or have any looming deadlines in other areas of my life.

Flipping 'eck, I used to get those too. I'd wake up thinking, No! I haven't done any revision! And I graduated in 1990. Not had one for about 7-8 years tho.

Soldato

I get this often! One of my frequent dreams, I back at uni and it turns out I never finished a single piece of coursework. Mad!

Soldato
I take a bit of codeine every now and again for arthritis in my foot. That gives me sleep paralysis sometimes.

The other night I could my GF saying I was snoring like a snake and asking me to stop, whilst I was asleep. Needless to say I tried to hiss at her. I think I might have managed a bit of it.

Back
Top Bottom