Ninja Rev.B on P5N32 E6600 Temps

Associate
Hi guys, just looking for a couple of opinions on this. I overclocked my E6600 last night, on my new P5N32 Sli to 3.2ghz. Cant remember my exact numbers, but i think the FSB was around 355, 1450 effective. The overclock seems stable - at least everything was running fine for the first few hours last night. I need to start stressing it later.

Im quite concerned about my temps though. Im air cooling, ill more than admit that the airflow in my case is not ideal and i will sort this. Im using a scythe ninja rev B. Before the oc at stock speeds (2.4) the idle temp was about 41c, and under load up to around 50c. Last night in monitoring after the OC, the idle was about 56c, and load was anything up to 69c (with prime 95 for 20 minutes, but around 61c in a game).

I suppose what i want to know is if people think this is excessive for the ninja, or if with this level of overclock mid 50's to 60's under load is acceptable.

Im going to re-seat the ninja later, im not 100% happy with it. It is very heavy, and the clips are plastic holding it to the board.

I will add another case fan to improve the air flow through - it's a full tower unbranded generic tower, but it is a professional grade - ive always been happy with it.

Any comments about the ninja, or the temps on the [email protected] with air cooling?

Cheers

Soldato
lots of people are getting bum e6600's. i think we've had a duff batch. mine does the same with a tuniq tower. i'm not really happy about it but there's nothing else i can try.

i can only suggest trying the stock heatsink, maybe your heatspreader on the cpu is concave and not making proper contact with the heatsink.

Associate
OP
Cheers James, at least it's not just me then. Are we saying that those temps although not nice, are acceptable? I'm going to re-seat the ninja, and depending on how that goes maybe try the stock cooler as well.

What's yours reaching under full load?

Associate
i had same problem with mine...only a slight boost in voltage would take the temps way up. At stock...full load temps arround 40C....with a slight boost in voltage and at 3.5Ghz...it was fully loading at 70C....not good I thought! Allthough the system was fully stable. I lapped my Ninja cooler and also my CPU...and it did help a bit. I got it stable at 3.45Ghz at the moment with 1.3675(i think) on the Vcore at fully loading both cores its about 60C...which I am more pleased with....but not a good as others. The annoying this is that I know the CPU can do 3.6-3.7 easy If i raise the Vcore to 1.425. However....

Associate
Fenlock said:
Im going to re-seat the ninja later, im not 100% happy with it. It is very heavy, and the clips are plastic holding it to the board.

You are joking right?

The thing is light as a feather !!

Associate
OP
Elrein said:
You are joking right?

The thing is light as a feather !!

Well, i wasn't joking.. it might be lighter than a more expensive zalman or water module.. but it's huge, puts strain on the board when in a vertical tower and the plastic brackets seem a bit crap to me. It was a bit of an impulse buy.

I have seen quite a few posts with people reporting improvements on cooling after re-seating them. Im also concerned i might have too much AS5 on there, so i need to double check it.

I think it will turn out to be a good cooler, if i can be sure it's working 100% as it should be.

Soldato
As no doubt other people will comment, you only need a grain of rice sized amount of AS5, or other thermal compund to do the trick, down the centre of the heatspreader.

Any more and the thermal conductivity would decrease, therefore higher temps.

I have one of these on order at the moment, so i hope u can sort your temps out mate, all the best.

Associate
Fenlock said:
it's huge, puts strain on the board when in a vertical tower and the plastic brackets seem a bit crap to me.

Do the Ninja not come with a metal intel bracket that you can install (optionally) by taking the board out?

Associate
OP
Jleo said:
Do the Ninja not come with a metal intel bracket that you can install (optionally) by taking the board out?

No, not unless i have fitted it wrong. It comes with 2 optional brackets for socket 478 and AM2, but for 775 you just attach the base 4 feet through the holes on the board. The clips that go through the holes are plastic, and they have this "push and twist" mechanism to lock it in place. It feels ok, but not 'tied down with screws and metal' ok.

Im using speedfan and asusprobe to monitor the temps. TAT doesn't work on my board, because of the chipset i think.. not really looked in to the exact reason why

Associate
Fenlock said:
It comes with 2 optional brackets for socket 478 and AM2, but for 775 you just attach the base 4 feet through the holes on the board. The clips that go through the holes are plastic, and they have this "push and twist" mechanism to lock it in place. It feels ok, but not 'tied down with screws and metal' ok.

The first version defo had a metal bracket for 775 there where no twist/push knobs (revised for the worse maybe) Though I'm sure if the push/twist setup is installed properly it would be secure, but I would be tempted to remove the board and check the install for piece of mind.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Jleo said:
The first version defo had a metal bracket for 775 there where no twist/push knobs (revised for the worse maybe) Though I'm sure if the push/twist setup is installed properly it would be secure, but I would be tempted to remove the board and check the install for piece of mind.

Yeah my thinking exactly mate, i'll do this tonight and report back.

Associate
OP
neologan said:
have you tried core temp?

yeah, but i dont really trust it to be honest. The temps are always different to anything else. I read that core temp gets its reading directly from the cpu, rather than the board. But speedfan, ausprobe and tat in the past have always matched for me - so i use a combination of those.

idle last night on speedfan and asusprobe showed 56c idle - coretemp showed 63 idle from what i can remember per core (all after the overclock)

Associate
OP
Ok i reseated the Ninja. I think it was seated ok before, but its possible one of the legs wasn't clipped in. Also i think i had to much AS5 on there. I cleaned it all up, applied the arctic silver as per the official instructions on the site and made sure that this time all 4 legs definitely made the clicking sound and locked in.

Im not running about 47c idle, 54c load. That was after running WoW for around 30 minutes. After i finished the game, it dropped back to 50c and drifted to 47c again.

Much better than last night it would seem at the moment,

Back
Top Bottom