*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
I have to say... And I am sure I will get some hate for this.. But I recently managed to get the WiiU version of BOTW and... I am finding it pretty tedious. I love Zelda games, their focused story, linear progression and constant engagement is what drew me to the games in the first place and BOTW really doesn't have it. The breaking weapons mechanic is dire in my opinion, the cooking things and making potions is tiresome and overcomplicated, the environment traversal is often slow and painstaking and the difficulty is frustrating. Honestly I am glad I didn't buy a Switch primarily to play this game. I think I am going to grab a copy of Wind Waker HD as I recall that being so much closer to a past Zelda experience than BOTW.

Just my opinion.

Soldato
LOL I found the Witcher 3 to be as bad to be honest.. Well even more over complicated that BOTW... LOL.

From what I hear Links Awakening is getting rave reviews because its close to a direct port with much better graphics and a few quality of life improvements.

Soldato
I have always wondered if the progress aspect of Zelda had a influence on games such as Batman Arkham etc. You have to get this item to progress past this obstacle to get to this previously locked part of the game.

Man of Honour
I have to say... And I am sure I will get some hate for this.. But I recently managed to get the WiiU version of BOTW and... I am finding it pretty tedious. I love Zelda games, their focused story, linear progression and constant engagement is what drew me to the games in the first place and BOTW really doesn't have it. The breaking weapons mechanic is dire in my opinion, the cooking things and making potions is tiresome and overcomplicated, the environment traversal is often slow and painstaking and the difficulty is frustrating. Honestly I am glad I didn't buy a Switch primarily to play this game. I think I am going to grab a copy of Wind Waker HD as I recall that being so much closer to a past Zelda experience than BOTW.

Just my opinion.

BotW is a very poor Zelda game if that's what you were after. It's a great " open world lite" game, but you have to be wanting that type of experience.

It's missing the progress, music, dungeons, items, etc. of a Zelda game.

PayDay Lover
Associate

Just my opinion.

Understandable, I myself don't get much enjoyment with overly open games - Skyrim, Oblivion etc. I get bored playing. I enjoyed BOTW because I didn't think it was all that open - I always felt like I had goals. That said, weapon breaking was definitely a very weak point, to me the dungeons also failed to impress as they were just giant shrines rather than traditional dungeons. Also, ultimately combat was pointless and the game became too easy too soon.
Everyone has their tastes - for example I really didn't like Wind Waker :)

Soldato
I thought BOTW was exceptional (and I don't usually like open world games like Skyrim etc), but I agree that it's not a traditional Zelda game.

I thought the open world mechanics were perfect, though. Whereas in Skyrim etc you could just follow the story and the open world just gets in the way, in BOTW the open world is the story. It made exploring feel fresh and exciting rather than something the developers had just made to show off.

Soldato
Trying to love BOTW, but I'm struggling. It's ok, but nothing more than that for me unfortunately. Hopi g the more I play it the more I'll get into it.

It's my first Zelda game... Never dipped into the series before, despite having most Nintendo consoles since my first NES :)

Soldato
If you aren't enjoying it after a couple of hours then most likely it isn't for you. I already thought it was something special by that point but the gameplay doesn't fundamentally change that much throughout the game. It's about exploring the world rather than being driven by a super-strong narrative.

Soldato
He might of been better off with links awakening as it's a more traditional Zelda game. I'm getting a lite for Christmas and BOTW is the first game I'm getting, hope I like it.

Man of Honour
If you aren't enjoying it after a couple of hours then most likely it isn't for you. I already thought it was something special by that point but the gameplay doesn't fundamentally change that much throughout the game. It's about exploring the world rather than being driven by a super-strong narrative.

The first part of the game (15-20 hours) is by far the best, so if someone doesn't enjoy it after a few hours it won't improve.

Back
Top Bottom