*** Nintendo Switch ***

I've just completed Steamworld Dig 2, what a fantastic game, love the music in it, before that I completed Hollow Knight which was amazing, I have tbh, after playing a few games like these I went back to playing New Super Mario Bros and it felt very 'empty' and boring, perhaps as I'm getting older now and I crave a little more than just platforming, it's made me question whether to grab Luigi's Mansion, not sure there is enough in it to hold my attention.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have Hollow Knight on PC and it was excellent, but got pulled away to other games and haven't played it for a year.

Tempting to look out for it on Switch when it's on sale as I'm less likely to be distracted by other games on this platform.

Man of Honour
a) because I didn’t know and b) my partner is a bit poo at games :o

Mine can only just manage overcooked but she's really enjoying playing coop on LM3 with me.

I carry her in fights and she hoovers up every item in the rooms.

I've just completed Steamworld Dig 2, what a fantastic game, love the music in it, before that I completed Hollow Knight which was amazing, I have tbh, after playing a few games like these I went back to playing New Super Mario Bros and it felt very 'empty' and boring, perhaps as I'm getting older now and I crave a little more than just platforming, it's made me question whether to grab Luigi's Mansion, not sure there is enough in it to hold my attention.

There are loads of great metroidvanias on the switch. Try guacamelee 1 and 2, super metroid, and iconoclasts.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes games definitely need that something else. Have you played Celeste? That is a simple but beautifully designed ‘tough platformer’ that is carried further by it’s impressive themes and story. Really hit me hard in the feels that one. Never been moved so emotionally by a game, but I have a feeling it was made with people like me in mind.

From what I’ve played of LM3 there is a lot of monotony in ‘Hoover everything’ that is a little boring. The goofy scoobydoo feel is great though and searching each room for secrets is kinda fun.

Man of Honour
New pokies has some awful music. It’s hard to imagine anything less memorable that the inane chirpy bleeps and blips.

The ‘win a fight’ music remains the same as always, of course. Do do do do do do do, do do do, do do do...!

Associate
New pokies has some awful music. It’s hard to imagine anything less memorable that the inane chirpy bleeps and blips.

The ‘win a fight’ music remains the same as always, of course. Do do do do do do do, do do do, do do do...!

I felt the same thing! Only the gym tune is somewhat ok, being a remix of the original

fez

fez

Caporegime
Sounds like GameFreak have massively phoned it in with SwSh knowing full well that it will sell like hotcakes regardless. Its a real shame but lets be honest, the majority of gamers won't avoid a game that has been half assed as long as its decent and game devs that don't care about the game they are making will half arse if it they can.

Soldato
I don't 5hink that it's half assed or they phoned it in.

I think they took on too big a challenge trying to make the first Switch game as big as they have. They must have realised during programming, that everything they were trying to implement was a bigger challenge then they thought and sceled things back so they could still get the game released.

Associate
Sounds like GameFreak have massively phoned it in with SwSh knowing full well that it will sell like hotcakes regardless. Its a real shame but lets be honest, the majority of gamers won't avoid a game that has been half assed as long as its decent and game devs that don't care about the game they are making will half arse if it they can.
Soon enough Pokemon will get same treatment as Bethesda games, if its great, playable and sells well but has problems they will continue with the practice until that one game(fallout 76) backfires on them.
Edit:
This isn't there first attempt at Switch game though as they have done Let's go and their other game Little town hero(2019). I would have thought they may have better understanding of the capabilities of the switch after releasing Let's go.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I don't 5hink that it's half assed or they phoned it in.

I think they took on too big a challenge trying to make the first Switch game as big as they have. They must have realised during programming, that everything they were trying to implement was a bigger challenge then they thought and sceled things back so they could still get the game released.

Everything I have read about it suggests they have half assed it. I'm not even talking about all the "reused models" stuff.

Poor general textures and graphics.
Open world area really dull and lifeless with bad texture pop in.
Towns are dull and lifeless and feels like a thin facade to give them impression of something with more to offer.

When you look at games like BOTW and what it achieved and then you look at something like pokemon, the have half assed it. They are a huge studio with an IP worth billions. They didn't do any better because they didn't need to.

I'm not saying its a bad game, I'm simply stating that they haven't done it justice or created the best game they could.

Soldato

Glad i'm not the only one to think this, I like to see the ability to change the music to other music from previous games, like SoulSilver/HeartGold did, you could change between the normal music and the original music from the GB version of R/B/Y.........Or just give me Lets Go pikachu music as that was done amazingly.

fez

fez

Caporegime
There will be a full open world pokemon game soon. It's such a natural fit, but gamefreak need to hire some decent developers to make it happen.

Where is the benefit though. They can spend 1/4 as much and chuck anything out there and it will sell like hotcakes or they can put in loads of time and money and sell maybe 5% more copies and make an entitled fanbases expectations even higher.

Back
Top Bottom