NIP - Driving without due care and attention

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps once a year, I encounter a vulnerable pedestrian, teetering, about to cross, who hasn't made eye contact, so you're obliged to stop..

but woukd you not be guilty of casuing an obstruction on the highway, to allow a pedestrian to cross a road not at a crossing?

Yes ... but, ok, not that you really meant that, but, you couldn't make a police statement - I continued because cars coming the other way meant it wasn't safe for them to cross. ..
perhaps once a year, I encounter a vulnerable pedestrian, teetering, about to cross, who hasn't made eye contact, so you're obliged to stop..

Care to point out either within legal texts or the highway code that this is written, outside of a marked crossing (zebra)?

As far as I'm aware if the pedestrian is still on the pavement then the car has right of way. It's a shame we haven't adopted 'jay-walking' laws like quite a few countries have.

Care to point out either within legal texts or the highway code that this is written, outside of a marked crossing (zebra)?

As far as I'm aware if the pedestrian is still on the pavement then the car has right of way. It's a shame we haven't adopted 'jay-walking' laws like quite a few countries have.

Rule 170 of the highway code.

we can't see the video to see if they/pedestrian had moved/stepped back ... if it was a left bend, it's possible they did, and camera didn't catch it.
.. if they had looked left/right and had momentum towards the road, too - that's starting to cross I think.

Driving without due care and attention is also known as careless driving or inconsiderate driving. The Road Traffic Act 1988 defines this as, driving that:
  • Falls below the standard expected of a competent driver, or
  • That does not show reasonable consideration for other people using the road.
expected standard measure applies too.
20-30m after a bend should be within 30mph stopping distance, your're meant to drive too conditions anyway. eg. you come up on a parked school bus.

As others have pointed out, 170 states 'started to cross'. If they are still on the pavement, as is stated that the footage shows in this instance then they have not started to cross.

Not if they're still on the pavement and have some form of motion or momentum. Then they've definitely started.

I guess the point is not whether they had started to cross or not but whether the driver in question could have stopped if they were in the middle of crossing having come round a corner too quick for the visible distance they had. Is that not the difference between 'driving without due care and attention' and 'causing death or injury through careless driving'. The failure of the driver is the same - it is just the outcome which is different.

However in the case in point without good evidence of speed actually being driven I am not sure how they can prove the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom