No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Associate
Is this worth playing yet, I got it day one and was like many very disappointed.
I got this on CDkeys for about 11 quid and only recently installed it but have spent about 37 hours ( was 10 hours 3 days ago lol) in already. I have had a couple of CTD's and experienced some glitches but otherwise seems to run fine. They have definitely fixed a lot of the initial issues/bugs.

Soldato
I got this on CDkeys for about 11 quid and only recently installed it but have spent about 37 hours ( was 10 hours 3 days ago lol) in already. I have had a couple of CTD's and experienced some glitches but otherwise seems to run fine.
Is there actually a game to play or is it still gathering a million items to make 1 thing, then you need 20 of those and 50 of something else to make something else. It got boring fast.

Associate
Is there actually a game to play or is it still gathering a million items to make 1 thing, then you need 20 of those and 50 of something else to make something else. It got boring fast.
There is definitely that and its a grind. Lots to take in to learn the different ways of doing things and collecting the different elements to craft. Coming from ED, I found the flight sim to be the weakest element and I am not a fan of the mouse controls but I guess the idea is to spend time on planets more than in space.
But a significant amount of my last few hours have been trading minerals to get enough money to buy a part to install a new tech on my ship to allow me to fly to a different system.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just tried this for the first time pretty much since release, got to hand it to them they've really done well to turn it around. The game is actually pretty decent now, its still got a few too many issues for me to dedicate time to it, the controls are horrible, I dont like the nintendo-esque "communication" windows that come up when interacting with NPCs, the Hold E key for stuff winds me up no end (I really dont understand why so many games have this stupid hold a key feature, just let me press the key for gods sake) and theres still significant pop-in on the graphics but the game has definitely come a long way from release.

Associate
I liked it but rage quit. :D

Seriously intend to revisit and read through the manuals etc, I am not sure if I was just unlucky, but the first planet I found myself on, I was getting nuked by radiation and pretty much toast within 5 minutes! I couldn't figure out how to prevent being burned up.

Associate
I liked it but rage quit. :D

Seriously intend to revisit and read through the manuals etc, I am not sure if I was just unlucky, but the first planet I found myself on, I was getting nuked by radiation and pretty much toast within 5 minutes! I couldn't figure out how to prevent being burned up.
The resource for fueling the protection on the suit is normally easily available. Could be something like sodium or carbon thats normally easy to mine and pretty much in all plants or stones nearby (from my gaming experience so far).

Associate
Thought I'd try out the new DLSS option on NMS and while checking out the video options I realised I'd been playing the game with a FOV of 75 for years!!! :eek: Cranked it up to 100 and its like playing a different game :D
The upgraded graphics and DLSS option ain't bad either!

Associate
this looks like the only game that you can actually get into a spaceship, fly into orbit, re land on another planet

this looks like such a great game, can i assume you can Co-op in this ?
Yes, you can choose to either play solo, with friends or with random people. There's a new option to start on a planet with other people.

The grind is still there though I feel that they've done a lot of behind the scenes work on balancing the random generation on planets as it doesn't feel as bad, though that could just be due to me having played a ton of the game and knowing how to progress quickly.
There's a couple of main storylines to explore (e.g. Artemis Path / Atlas Path) as well as a number of mini plots scattered around (e.g. Dreams of the Deep or Starbirth), plus hidden lore and easter eggs.

Associate
Does anyone know how the autonomous mining unit works ? So I have installed two on copper deposits on one of the planets. Each time I come back to them, the copper is not mined but the fuel (carbon) is used up. Seems they only mine while I am near by. Not sure if its a bug or if they work if you stay on the same planet.

Soldato
I use a wireless X-Box controller pad to fly and then the mouse and keyboard to do other stuff. Works well, even tho I'm not great with the pad. I just generally avoid pirates.

Been a while since I have played this.

Back
Top Bottom