No Man's Sky

Soldato
Well a tech demo could have all those things actually.

Which tech demos have you been playing lately? Or are you jumping on a catchphrase for the sake of it?

Most of the time tech demos aren't playable at all. If they are it's usually a very small slice of a game to demonstrate a mechanic.

Caporegime
Most, but some can be. Like the Serious Sam tech demo for example. This looks quite similar to that, with some a.i. Such a shame that the devs aren't going to take this through to the end, it looks like it has potential :(

Soldato
I'd say this was the best game shown at the show.

My concern is whether or not it'll ever see the light of day. Their ideas and the whole concept sounds great and I'd love it to work. However, I just can't see it happening (at the moment).

Will be interesting to see what more information is released over the next 12 months.

Soldato
what game doesnt have an objective? what are you on about?

To an extent Elite had no objective, you just existed within the universe and did what you wanted. Didn't stop that being good. OK yes there was trading etc., but ultimately it was still a game about exploration.

I'm really looking forward to this, hopefully it doesn't become vapourware. I think with the huge interest though, that's unlikely.

Associate
It needs an objective and actual gameplay. Its all well and good flying about looking at things but it will get boring very fast. Something like X3 with that engine would be amazing.

Soldato
I think it'll be more like Elite than anything else, in the trailer you can see the HUD tagging resources (in the cave). If you can harvest these/trade/craft etc then the objective becomes upgrade/buy new ships, make money etc.

Soldato
You can send co-ordinates to friends and others to meet up and explore if you find something interesting (I think?)

I like the idea of having no specific objective - maybe they can add these things in later anyway. I'd be quite happy to pay for this as it looks now and just explore it with my friends.

Having nothing to do wouldn't be fun, but not having an end objective doesn't bother me. I often find games just push you to the end objective in mindless, boring ways anyway.

No clue how likely this is to see the light of day but the concept so far looks really interesting. I'm very bored of the video games industry for the most part and THIS game looks to be totally opposite from all of the stuff I'm sick of so I'm all in if it comes out anything like what they want

Caporegime
Goodness, this game looks incredibly ambitious... but the one thing that kind of unnerves me a little is that the devs need to get the balance right between endlessly exploring and doing what you like, and giving players the sense of achievement needed to feel like they are progressing. However, I like how the game does have an antagonist, and I like how it does have an ultimate goal (getting to the center of the universe)... I'm just curious to see how it will be fully realised.

With regards to multiplayer, due to the sheer scale of this game I think that they are doing the right thing by focusing on the SP frst (though I understand it will still initially have some player interactivity), and then working on the more traditional multiplayer aspect separately after release.

Either way this really looks like a stunning game, and the scope for further development and expansion is almost limitless if what we have seen is true. The ability to seamlessly fly from space down to planets is the best realisation of that I have ever seen, and while part of me is hopelessly excited, another part doesn't want to let me expectations get too high and then be too disappointed.

Needless to say, I can't wait to see the final release!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom