No Man's Sky

Soldato
I'm glad it's selling a boatload. Something fresh and new. There is nothing else like it out there.

I'm sick to death of rehashed EA / Ubisoft rubbish. The game critics seem to lap it up, they love it.

I would give NMS a 7 / 10 for gameplay, but for imagination it gets a 10 / 10. That's the important part.

If someone said to us 5 years ago.... imagine a game where you can hop in a spaceship and venture into the stars where there are thousands of planets and being able to land on any one of them....

Nobody would have believed it. People like Jim Sterling have absolutely no imagination. For a reviewer to not be imaginative is pretty alarming. The game cannot be reviewed in under 40 hours of gameplay, it's just impossible.

Hmmmm Elite? Lol, you do realise NMS isn't a new idea...

Soldato
Not sure what to make of the game so far.

The FoV and lack of inventory space (or at least inability to stack beyond a certain qty considering the plethora of different materials) were annoying the heck out me.

I will give it another shot but don't know if it is going to be a long termer for me.

Soldato
The inventory/upgrade system is a really nice bit of design actually (although lack of it is annoying at first).

Your ship has one parameter, the number of slots. You either use those slots for upgrade modules, or they are inventory space. Really simple but gives you a lot of flexibility on how you want to configure things.

To expand your exo suit inventory, you need to find drop pods on planets. They're just little, well pods. You step in, activate, and you get an extra inventory slot. I've had about 4 now, makes a big difference.

The ship I found was 17 slot, which is OK. You can usually buy a ~20 slot for around 1,000,000 units, 23 slots seems double that.

The only materials you need for basic getting around/survival are plutonium which is easy to find, and whatever the thing is for the pulse drive, which you can get from any asteroids.

Caporegime
I'm glad it's selling a boatload. Something fresh and new. There is nothing else like it out there.

I'm sick to death of rehashed EA / Ubisoft rubbish. The game critics seem to lap it up, they love it.

I would give NMS a 7 / 10 for gameplay, but for imagination it gets a 10 / 10. That's the important part.

If someone said to us 5 years ago.... imagine a game where you can hop in a spaceship and venture into the stars where there are thousands of planets and being able to land on any one of them....

Nobody would have believed it. People like Jim Sterling have absolutely no imagination. For a reviewer to not be imaginative is pretty alarming. The game cannot be reviewed in under 40 hours of gameplay, it's just impossible.

Jim is reviewing it objectively AS A GAME and judging the mechanics within, not subjectively as an individuals fantasy as you are doing.

Creating a universe populated by generically repeating and generally uninteractive graphic models with an incessant crafting/life mechanic is not innovative.

Soldato
Within reason, obviously. The point is he is judging it on the definable mechanics.

:facepalm:

Well, the number of people who are enjoying playing the game kinda has to lead you to conclude that his objective opinion is wrong, or it is just subjective.

Probably the latter eh?

Caporegime
Well, the number of people who are enjoying playing the game kinda has to lead you to conclude that his objective opinion is wrong, or it is just subjective.

Probably the latter eh?

Judging from the amount of people I see raving about mediocre movies and games, that doesn't mean much. However, I am of course happy if people enjoy it.

Lets see what the general concensus is in 1 month, as opposed to playing immediately following a hyped release.

Man of Honour
A lot of people discovering planets already discovered by others, thought that was going to be very rare?

Also, anyone bothering to name their discoveries? Or leaving them as the default? I can't be bothered trying to be clever or funny lol so just leaving as the default

Soldato
A lot of people discovering planets already discovered by others, thought that was going to be very rare?

Also, anyone bothering to name their discoveries? Or leaving them as the default? I can't be bothered trying to be clever or funny lol so just leaving as the default

Sod naming things lol.

Soldato
Millions of people watch Transformers films.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who am I to say whether it's crap or not? Do I care? I know it's not something I want to watch, so I don't watch it. The current gaming community trend of piling **** on games they don't like and actively wishing for them to fail....baffling to me. (not saying you are btw).

One

One

Soldato
I'd rather it drop to 720p and increase the fov. I just makes it feel like I'm zoomed in through binoculars when I'm looking at anything other than the horizon.

The main problem I have is that I just feel a bit overwhelmed by the vastness of it.

Really great game though, I think I'm going to end up drinking a lot of hours into it!

Soldato

I'm named my starting planet after the GF, figured it bought me an extra hour of game time :p

Associate
Judging from the amount of people I see raving about mediocre movies and games, that doesn't mean much. However, I am of course happy if people enjoy it.

Lets see what the general concensus is in 1 month, as opposed to playing immediately following a hyped release.
I had this with Fallout 4. I played it a huge amount in a very short space of time but then I haven't really gone back to it. Though, to be honest, I'd still highly rate that game.

I dislike the way that people can turn against things they've put so much time into. Surely, if it has held your interest for a decent amount of time then it has done it's job. It's not the game's fault if you put 1000 hours into it in the first week and then get bored.

Just because a game has flaws doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. But I would say that the tendency to play it to death upon release is more the reason why people stop playing a game. And not the hype around a game causing people to say that it's good when it's not.

It has an appeal this game. And even if people turn against it in the coming months then I think it's unfair to pretend like that appeal never existed and it was all just hype. I highly rate this game and I'm OK with the fact that I may not be playing it in 6 months.

So long as people enjoy the 'mediocre movies and games' then the developers have done their job. (Frankly, an astounding job by this game given how few worked on it.)

I can't see how ~15 people can develop a game that's popular and that that is somehow a bad thing. It doesn't exactly dilute your experience of so called 'good' games does it? If so, how does it? Your 'good' games don't disappear because this game exists do they?

Back
Top Bottom