No, not now surely....I cant believe it.

Soldato
mine used to do the same, i got mass effect repaird twice because of it, i then took the xbox appart and opened up the dvd drive, i founda tiny bit of pcb prtruding from the lense :rolleyes: i sanded it back with some 2000 grit and it never scrached a disc again.

it did rrod though and ms replaced both the mobo and dvd drive :o

Associate
Well, the disc has been gently cleaned with erm,.... toothpaste. the verdict is : the same. Didn't work. Ah well. Have to wait until tomorrow.

I don't think Colgate is going to cut it! Maybe you should try a tooth whitening type, like Eucryl powder or something...

My nephews come to me occasionally to help resurrect game discs they play a lot, such as Halo 3. I'm not sure exactly how those scratches come about, but unless its an actual crack, I feel sure it's possible to buff it out. Post a pic if you can, I'll provide a no-obligation assessment! :)

Another thing you should try: my nephew demonstrated how starting up to dashboard first had a different success rate compared to auto starting the game from power-up. Experiment, and give it a go...

Soldato
OP
I don't think Colgate is going to cut it! Maybe you should try a tooth whitening type, like Eucryl powder or something...

My nephews come to me occasionally to help resurrect game discs they play a lot, such as Halo 3. I'm not sure exactly how those scratches come about, but unless its an actual crack, I feel sure it's possible to buff it out. Post a pic if you can, I'll provide a no-obligation assessment! :)

Another thing you should try: my nephew demonstrated how starting up to dashboard first had a different success rate compared to auto starting the game from power-up. Experiment, and give it a go...

If i dont get any luck getting the game replaced i will post a pic tomorrow after work. Hopefully i will just get it exchanged.

Was your console vertical?

Nope, the xbox was on my cabinet with GTA4 in there since Tuesday. Hasnt moved or been touched.

I will let you lot know tomorrow how its goes.

*Prays the shop has some copies left over tomorrow*

Soldato
We saw it coming, and we were right.

I'm only thankful that Microsoft were forced to cave and repair/refund all people who suffer the wrath of their dire first batches of consoles. It's cost them well in excess of $1 billion now hasn't it?

Soldato
Take the disc to a well known DVD rental store and have it resurfaced. I stupidly moved my 360 from vertical to horizontal on launch day and scratched the disc.

But it was perfect afterwards and only costs £2.

Associate
Take the disc to a well known DVD rental store and have it resurfaced. I stupidly moved my 360 from vertical to horizontal on launch day and scratched the disc.

But it was perfect afterwards and only costs £2.
This service is also offered by one of the smaller videogame chain-stores, incase you don't have a rental store nearby. Worth a punt at a few quid, for sure.

Soldato

Yep, we do loads of them and so far Ive not had anyone come back saying it wont work after doing it and we have been doing it a few months now. Also, dependant on the store you might get it for free, as long as im not in with my manager I usually dont charge to do it.

Had a kid in a few weeks ago prety much begging to repair the disk saying he had a COD4 clan match starting in a couple of hours, he reminded me of myself about 5 years ago.

Soldato
Discs can be resurfaced? How is this witchcraft performed?

I really dont know how it does it to be honest, but I managed to put one in a few days ago when the machine had no fluid in it and its pretty much ripped the surface off the disk and it came out worse than it went in, so I presume it just takes a small amount of the protective cover off the disk, making the disk very slightly thinner, but leaving a pretty much brand new finish.

Soldato
Nah wouldnt say that, ive done hundreds of them. Im literally talking about a 10th's of a millimetre here that it takes off. The ones we use arnt capable of doing deep scratches, so they cant take much off the thickness of the disk.

Associate
This problem is most common when the XBox is vertical, You'd be suprised how many issues are solved putting the console horizontal (and it's quieter too... kinda... still sounds like a plane taking off). I personally don't see the appeal of having a console vertical, maybe I'm too old school. Either way, my recommendation is, whenever possible keep your xbox horizontal. Then don't walk near it, breathe on it, look at it funny and for heavens sake don't use colourfull language around it... it's very temperamental!

Back
Top Bottom