• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No Pre Order or Official UK Price on the GTX 1080

Soldato
With that in mind, what's the issue with the pricing? If the FE is £620, then hopefully the AIB/AIC versions are somewhere from £520-550 which isn't too unreasonable if it can beat out a 980 TI that's currently new-priced at about £500, and can compete with a Titan X which is £850?
The 980 beat the 780 Ti yet was priced at just over £400, and people have been saying even that's more than it's worth ever since it launched, recommending the 970 over it even after the memory scandal. A performance gain over the previous generation should go without saying, especially with the first process shrink in years. Ultimately, this is still the small chip. There will be a Titan and a Ti at some point and based on this even the Ti could be coming in at around Titan X prices. There's really no way to spin this as a good value proposition. If it beat the 980 Ti by a good 50%+ then maybe, but it's not even close.

Associate
The 980 beat the 780 Ti yet was priced at just over £400, and people have been saying even that's more than it's worth ever since it launched, recommending the 970 over it even after the memory scandal. A performance gain over the previous generation should go without saying, especially with the first process shrink in years. Ultimately, this is still the small chip. There will be a Titan and a Ti at some point and based on this even the Ti could be coming in at around Titan X prices. There's really no way to spin this as a good value proposition. If it beat the 980 Ti by a good 50%+ then maybe, but it's not even close.

I tend to work on performance when judging how much I'll pay for something, as opposed to a nebulous idea such as "generation"

Die shrinkage isn't magic, shrinking the process doesn't make a component automatically faster. If it's better than the 980 Ti, it should cost more than the 980 Ti, if you want to pay slightly less, buy the 980 Ti.

The obvious exception to me not giving a **** about the generation gap is when one generation doesn't support a feature I judge to be important, such as a new DX version only being available in the next generation.

Edit: to clarify, I'm not saying the 1080 should cost more than the 980 ti did on it's release date, just that I will compare them based on their currently available prices. if a New 980 Ti today costs £500, then I'll happily pay £550 for a 1080.

Last edited:
Associate
getting closer

P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom