Noctua NH-D15 G2 finally launched

£30
I’m just waiting for the 140mm Peerless Assassin.
I thought the same few years back but here we are, where an AIO isn’t “required”, except for some Intel CPUs.
To be honest, the AIOs need to find a way to improve their performance, because has been almost the same for quite some time. New Intel coming, I expect Monsta 480 or Mora based AIOs paired to T30s.
Astek are braindead, they need to literally increase the rad size - better pumps and thicker tubing. Literally Closed Custom Loops.

It's so weird with Thermalright, they never really market anything and then people sort of stumble upon their products and find out they're really good. It's been like that for years, they just sort of exist unlike other companies that throw money at marketing to get hype up.
They don’t really need to market as they’ve been consistently putting out great products at very good prices for so long now that it’s the buyers word of mouth doing the marketing for them.

They don’t really need to market as they’ve been consistently putting out great products at very good prices for so long now that it’s the buyers word of mouth doing the marketing for them.
I've been using Thermalright sense shortly after they were founded. Always been good at lower to extremely lower prices than competition.

Seems this fan airflow causing fin vibration rattle sound is happening on many G2s'. Not enough information to determine if it's design flaw or compatibility issue with airflow from some fan designs.

Seems this fan airflow causing fin vibration rattle sound is happening on many G2s'. Not enough information to determine if it's design flaw or compatibility issue with airflow from some fan designs.
Noctua think they are probably damaged during shipping, though it would still be a design flaw if it's too fragile to handle shipping. After 10 years of development you'd think they would've spotted it before release.

Noctua think they are probably damaged during shipping, though it would still be a design flaw if it's too fragile to handle shipping. After 10 years of development you'd think they would've spotted it before release.
I haven't seen anything from Noctua stating what the cause is. Maybe it is damage during shipping, maybe it's new fin thickness and spacing, maybe it's something else.

Fan airflow characteristics (alrflow pattern and force) can easily be effected by impeller design becaue impeller design determines pattern of airflow coming out of fan. Noctua has been doing a lot of impeller design the last several years. These different airflow patterns through different fin thicknesses and spacings could be what's creating harmonics in airflow that are vibrating the closer fin spacing in G2 with resulting rattle new owners are reporting.

We need more feedback from both Noctua and new G2 owners to determine what problem actually is.

A good AIO will beat it too at that price.
A £50 AIO will beat it.
Indeed, a £50 CLC will beat it .. for a few month maybe 6 months. But the harder CLC works the more noise it makes and the shorter it life expectancy is. CLCs are usually louder than good air coolers too.
There are several very good air cooler for £50 or less. Some as low as £30 cool about the same as new NH-D15 G2 and CLCs. And will last many, many more years than CLCs last. ;)

Last edited:
Indeed, a £50 CLC will beat it .. for a few month maybe 6 months. But the harder CLC works the more noise it makes and the shorter it life expectancy is. CLCs are usually louder than good air coolers too.
There are several very good air cooler for £50 or less. Some as low as £30 cool about the same as new NH-D15 G2 and CLCs. And will last many, many more years than CLCs last. ;)

To be fair my last AIO did a good 8 years and is still going strong. All I'm saying is that Noctua are doing fantastic marketing for every other alternative. My Thermalright cooler is looking even better in comparison at sub £30.

Inflation or not i don't think it warrants its new $150 price tag. Some die hard fans will buy it but it really is turning into snake oil with very very small increments in improvement.
I agree with this it's too much for the average enthusiast and not high enough performance for those who want extreme cooling water is still the answer

Personally, I believe in buy expensive once, and use for years.

Applied on my air cooler (d15), and my custom loop (reusable d5, rad, fittings etc)

Last edited:
I agree with this it's too much for the average enthusiast and not high enough performance for those who want extreme cooling water is still the answer

£150 is AIO territory imo and for most people Aesthetics are important which is why a lot of people go with AIO's with screens these days.

Personally, I believe in buy expensive once, and use for years.

Applied on my air cooler (d15), and my custom loop (reusable d5, rad, fittings etc)

Yup, it most cases it's usually only the tubing that needs to be replaced.

Sell for as much as you can get is what market normally does.
Keep in mind every middle=man adds to retail pricing .. brand has design cost, manufacturer makes his profit, local distributer and local retail outlet / shop add on some more.
Thermalright is doing most everything themselves, so only additional markup is retail outlet.

Back
Top Bottom