Noctua NH-D15 G2 finally launched

Soldato
Still loving my D15s! Won't be changing for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time...

Don't forget, Noctua will support owners by sending out new mounting kits free-of-charge. This keeps the coolers relevant for a very long time after initial release, and it's also good as far as waste and the environment goes too.

Soldato
Yes, Noctua has some good points, their mount upgrading and great customer support being biggest.
But is it worth paing 2-3 times higher prices? Not for me!​
As for environmental waste goes, I'm guessing Thermalright has similar or higher percentage of their old coolers still in use than Noctua has.
Thermalright owners can't afford to buy a new cooler on a whim and/or every new build like Noctua's "buy the most expensive" owners can (and do).​

I'm still using coolers I got 10-12 years ago. 5 of my 6 systems are running Thermalright. Other is ID Cooling

The real difference isn't free upgrades or customer support.
The real difference is Noctua whats 3 times more money for similar product and performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
TPU:

Wow, the Thermalright Phantom Spirit does so well, the new NH-D15 is very slightly better but it's more than triple the price.

It's also strange that the Arctic Freezer 3 doesn't do well on Intel (although they only tested the 240mm one).

Soldato
Yes, Noctua has some good points, their mount upgrading and great customer support being biggest.
But is it worth paing 2-3 times higher prices? Not for me!​
As for environmental waste goes, I'm guessing Thermalright has similar or higher percentage of their old coolers still in use than Noctua has.
Thermalright owners can't afford to buy a new cooler on a whim and/or every new build like Noctua's "buy the most expensive" owners can (and do).​

I'm still using coolers I got 10-12 years ago. 5 of my 6 systems are running Thermalright. Other is ID Cooling

The real difference isn't free upgrades or customer support.
The real difference is Noctua whats 3 times more money for similar product and performance.
How come Thermalright are so cheap now? I don't remember them being so cheap in the Silver Arrow days (which was the main competitor to the NH-D14). They were just as expensive.

Soldato
Wow, the Thermalright Phantom Spirit does so well, the new NH-D15 is very slightly better but it's more than triple the price.

It's also strange that the Arctic Freezer 3 doesn't do well on Intel (although they only tested the 240mm one).
Yeah, "big difference" is 1-3db and/or 1-3c lower measurements. In reality human ear needs at least a 3dB change in noise level to be able to hear a difference, and if your build is running so hot 3c lower temps are important it's running to hot even with "better" cooler. Often re-seating with different TIM, increasing mount pressure, improving case airflow will produce as much of an improvement in temps and noise as 3 times more expensive cooler. ;)

Soldato
If I were getting an aircooler today I would get the Thermalright Phantom Spirit and if I wanted an AIO it would be the Arctic Liquid Freezer 3.

However, since I already have a Noctua NH-D15S with two fans and it still performs very well I'm sticking with that unless and until a better cooler is required.

Soldato
How come Thermalright are so cheap now? I don't remember them being so cheap in the Silver Arrow days (which was the main competitor to the NH-D14). They were just as expensive.
Lots of possible reasons. Back then cooler companies had a completely different mindset. All were new working hard to develop better product and competing against each other for enough sales to stay in business. Thermalright changed owners a few years ago resulting in new developments and marketing. Their marketing in western hemisphere is almost exclusively internet sales. They also bought factories to make their own product. This means factory to consumer by Thermalright, so no extra exchanges / profit points. Factory to Amazon outlet to consumer. This means "retail" price is only marked up a couple of times compared to other companies paying factory, regional distributor, local distributor, retail outlet, etc. with each marking up price to make a profit. Keep in mind the cost of building a cooler or a fan once factory is tooled up is extremely low. ;)

Soldato
If I were getting an aircooler today I would get the Thermalright Phantom Spirit and if I wanted an AIO it would be the Arctic Liquid Freezer 3.

However, since I already have a Noctua NH-D15S with two fans and it still performs very well I'm sticking with that unless and until a better cooler is required.
Indeed!
NH-D15 is extremely good cooler. No reason to change it. Keep your purchase receipt so you can get new mount as needed and you are good for many many years. At some point you will likely need new fans.

Heatpipes last a long long time. Some say 20+ years, some say 30+ years, some say indefinitely.
"Heat Pipes are inherently robust and are a purely passive system that does not wear down over time as active systems often do."

We've seen great improvements in computer fans last 5 or so years. Who knows what fans will be like in another 5-10 years.

Associate
Don't forget, Noctua will support owners by sending out new mounting kits free-of-charge. This keeps the coolers relevant for a very long time after initial release, and it's also good as far as waste and the environment goes too.
The way things are going, Noctua might be out of business in 5 years and there will be no free mounting kit upgrade. With the Phantom Spirit EVO being so close to the NH-D15 G2, Thermalright's upcoming $45 Royal Preytor Ultra could well beat it, then there will be no market for Noctua except the brand name.

Soldato
The way things are going, Noctua might be out of business in 5 years and there will be no free mounting kit upgrade. With the Phantom Spirit EVO being so close to the NH-D15 G2, Thermalright's upcoming $45 Royal Preytor Ultra could well beat it, then there will be no market for Noctua except the brand name.
I agree.

Phanteks is down to only 2 small (4x heatpipe 120mm fan) coolers.
ID-Cooling is still designing good coolers with plenty of heatpipes.
Cryorig is still designing some good things but we rarely hear anything about them.
Cryorig OE10 is unique design with 10x heatpipes into single tower.​
Cryorig TE10 is similar design with 10x heatpipes into single tower.​
Would really like to check out the coolers!​
Thermalright is pretty much taking over market at moment.
At least we are hearing about their top coolers being very good.​
DeepCool
Assassin IV is 7x heatpipe twin tower​
AK620 is 6x heatpipe twin tower​
be quiet!
Dark Rock Pro 4, etc haven't changed much​
There are more, like thermalfake as well as many new names. Nnone that are anything great.

Soldato
Looking at the new d15 I guess we may have reached the limits of what air cooling can do.
I think problem is more moving heat from smaller and smaller chips than air coolers.

Water cooling works a little better (especially custom loops) because waterblock temperature is lower than air cooler base temp. This allows better heat flow from chips to waterblock and coolant than chip to base and heatpipes.

Hopefully science will find a way to improve heatpipes or come up with something better.

Last edited:
Associate

AF III perfroms great on AMD, their offset mount beats anything from competition.
But on Intel they went with a custom CPU frame mount that is pretty much same (if not worse) than than stock.

Also agree, TR PS shines next to this Noctua. Waay cheaper and much lighter. And prettier

Back
Top Bottom