NomNomNomNom...

Soldato
SR2, a chunk of RAM, the two Xeons I would need and probably the PSU will put me back a small fortune! I am also fairly certain my CM Stacker isn't quite large enough to accomodate it either, so that's another 200+ notes I bet on some insane case!

Damn you Biffa! May sulphur burn in your bones! :mad:

*goes off to sell his parents' kidneys*

Soldato
I wanna I wanna I wanna SR2!!!! :mad:

:p

I think I might put some money aside for a small wee while. I am awfully tempted, but have already spent a massive chunk of money in the last 8 months. With Christmas and things, it would be slightly irresponsible if I blew 2K+ on a erm "upgrade" :o :D

Soldato
I wanna I wanna I wanna SR2!!!! :mad:

:p

I think I might put some money aside for a small wee while. I am awfully tempted, but have already spent a massive chunk of money in the last 8 months. With Christmas and things, it would be slightly irresponsible if I blew 2K+ on a erm "upgrade" :o :D

Well i've been wrestling with money/justification/want and practicle for the last 2 hours and i still can't decide, if you think of an all encompassing reason let me know Mr SiriusB :)

Mr Biffa congratulations there was a time when i could and was happy to blame Mr Halz for everything - the mantle is now yours :)

Man of Honour
I'm guessing your busy with work and other commitments by the slow progress Biffa.

Toxic your an absolute nutcase, but do it. Where abouts in middlesborough are you I've got some family that live close by

Soldato
I'm guessing your busy with work and other commitments by the slow progress Biffa.

Toxic your an absolute nutcase, but do it. Where abouts in middlesborough are you I've got some family that live close by

:D:D Thank you Mr Frozennova, am still rattling around the place with pen and paper attaching price tags to things but yup will be doing it one way or t'other. Am in central Midlesbrough just behind where the old eye infirmary(now aldi) used to be.
But if i'm going to go the whole hog i need company.....Mr SiriusB have ya found the justification yet? :D:D

Soldato
It would make a fantastic bit of hardware to run my server from - and it would be 10 times as fast as anything any of my clients use!

I just don't think I can put together 2K any time in the next few months. :(

I will need:

SR-2
Xeons x 2
8-12GB RAM
Cooling [I plan to OC if the board lets you!]
1.2KW PSU with enough connectors for an SR-2
A barn to build it in, since my CM Stacker is not large enough

I could sell my i7 parts, but I don't how much money that would get me.

Soldato
Well start and price up your bits n pieces, i'm in full flow with the price stickers and what not. Don't forget you can run 1 xeon on it for now so thats £700 saved for a bit later and i dare say you have awealth of bits n bobs that could rake in some extra. Make do with 6gb ram for now - stop eating untill easter etc the possibilities are endless. I'm sacrificing my geeky stamp collection towards it :D

Man of Honour
OP
You only need a 1Kw PSU as well unless you plan on running gfx cards in it as well, I don't plan to can't afford the leccy and this is a server not a toy.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok so had to take half the front of the case off to remove all the drive cages. And there were screws hidden behind other parts so was a real time eating PITA to do, but now they are gone we have the:

Rad fitted
P1100668.jpg

Testing fit of mobo, its real close, probably 5mm between the end of the board and the drive bays, just enough room for the 24pin cable, IDE cable would be fine if I needed it.

Its job as a VMWare server means it is pulling the images off my iSCSi NAS so I don't need all the drive space and will only have a single drive for the OS.

P1100669.jpg

Also started water tubing route plan. Excuse the fan cables, they are a work in progress :o

Back
Top Bottom