Non traditional board games

Soldato
Cthulhu Wars hit the deck last night. It is good. Go back Theomachy for $200 and get your copy while some yet remain. :D

Expanded version: three player game, all newbies, Cthulhu vs Crawling Chaos vs Yellow Sign (me). Nyarly got stomped early by both the other factions, leading to a very frustrating game for him as he couldn't figure out how to get out of his starting area. I think his choice of spellbooks did for him; he took Abduct and Invisibility, which are both good, but if he'd taken Madness he would have had more opportunities to disperse enemy units as I fought with Cthulhu and create easy targets for Abduct and his Capture a Cultist spellbook goal. Cthulhu was aggressively expansive, Devolving at every opportunity, but he never used Submerge despite complaining about my Shriek of the Byakhee and Screaming Dead moving multiple units for 1 Power. I'd left a lightly protected Gate in the Atlantic, so he could have done me some harm there. As Yellow Sign I expanded into the empty Americas ASAP and summoned the King in Yellow there. I got lucky with an early Desecrate success on two units; the King was left alone too much, and I was able to use him to capture numerous Cultists from Cthulhu for a big power advantage. This gave me just enough power to Ritual and summon Hastur on the penultimate turn. Had I not been able to do that I would have lost, either by losing the Doom from a Ritual or by not having my sixth spellbook when the game ended.

Associate
Played my first solo game of Space Hulk Death Angel last night, that game can be punishing! great fun though, nice little challenge.

Also like that its relatively quick, taking just under an hour for a game. So far not bad for £14.

Associate
Played my first solo game of Space Hulk Death Angel last night, that game can be punishing! great fun though, nice little challenge.

Also like that its relatively quick, taking just under an hour for a game. So far not bad for £14.

It's an excellent card game. Perfect for a train ride too!

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Just managed to score a complete practically mint Heroquest :D Only the box cover is a bit tatty on the corners (one slightly ripped), everything else inside is absolutely perfect condition. And only £35 to boot! That's my evening sorted.

Soldato
Just managed to score a complete practically mint Heroquest :D Only the box cover is a bit tatty on the corners (one slightly ripped), everything else inside is absolutely perfect condition. And only £35 to boot! That's my evening sorted.

Nice one! I'm sure my copy of that, along with loads of other games, is in my parents' attic. Need to get a trip over to visit them sometime soon so I can climb up there and get raidin'.

Associate
Just to say, for anyone looking at Star Wars: Imperial Assault the first small box expansion got announced. A Tattoine mini campaign featuring Boba Fett, C3PO and R2-D2.

Associate
Played my first game of Arkham Horror today with my brother. He has had a copy say unopened for a year, so I read the rules and convinced him it has been neglected long enough. It brought back memories of playing the Cthulhu RPG years ago and was great fun.

We managed to defeat the Yig but we did make a few minor errors along the way and it could have easily have gone badly towards the end. I suspect a second play through will see us losing our sanity and lives.

Associate
Lol, that pretty much says it all really then. We will both re-read the rules and try again. I am sure it we missed something involving the initial Mythos setup but we had to pack up before we could re-examine everything too closely.

Associate
Just bought Star Wars Imperial Assault. Delivered tomorrow just in time for my few days annual leave next week too :)

Wave One figure boosters have just been released. I ordered them all plus an additional Rebel Trooper and Rebel Saboteur packs.

These add in a miniature, new two player Skirmish maps, campaign side missions, agenda decks and rewards. So they will really boost the replayability of the campaign in addition to all that Skirmish goodness.

Associate
After reading this thread and watching some of the Tabletop series on youtube I decided to take the plunge and took a trip to my local game shop yesterday. Ended up coming out with Carcassonne and Fobidden Island, so I plan to give them a go this weekend. Hopefully these aren't too complicated for a board game noob and I can persuade the Mrs to play with me as well (ooh err!).

Associate
After reading this thread and watching some of the Tabletop series on youtube I decided to take the plunge and took a trip to my local game shop yesterday. Ended up coming out with Carcassonne and Fobidden Island, so I plan to give them a go this weekend. Hopefully these aren't too complicated for a board game noob and I can persuade the Mrs to play with me as well (ooh err!).

Those are both enjoyable games which aren't complicated. I think you will be happy with your purchases.

Associate
Managed to play both games with the Mrs over the weekend and really enjoyed both. We did realise we accidentally cheated a bit when we played Forbidden island though, oops! Still its all a good learning curve. Now just want to play with a slightly bigger group.

Associate
Hey guys, looking for a relatively simple game which doesnt take too long, a "casual" board game if you like. I like the look of munchkin but hear it can go on at times. Any recommendations?

Associate
Hey guys, looking for a relatively simple game which doesnt take too long, a "casual" board game if you like. I like the look of munchkin but hear it can go on at times. Any recommendations?

My recommendation is to avoid Munchkin. It's a terrible game.

If you are looking for games to play for 3-7 it sounds like you need a combination of party games and some straight forward normal games. Very few games scale well over big rangers of players such as 3-7.

Keeping casual in mind I'd recommend Lords of Waterdeep for 4 (5 with the expansion) players. I'm not sure how it plays with two but I think 3 would work pretty well.
The bonus with this game is that the expansion can be added later. The expansion adds just enough depth to make it a good gamers game while still being easily approachable.
A second expansion will be made later as well. I can only hope that beefs up the complexity again.

A good quick game is Coup. This game seems a bit of the exception as it DOES scale well from 3 players up to 6.

Back
Top Bottom