Non traditional board games

Associate
Really want Spacehulk just cannot justify GW prices for a board game... its up for £125-130 on Amazon at the moment :(

Just ordered Betrayal at house on the hill and Splendor :) Limiting myself now as spending too much lol.

While I got it at retail for £75 I have to say, the components are excellent. Not just the models but the embossed tiles which have a good thickness.

Associate
Me and my girlfriend have decided that instead of valentines day gifts (yay no valentines day gifts) we would instead buy a new boardgame and spend the 13th playing it (14th the rugby is on so doing be out). We both enjoyed the D&D Legend of Drizzt boardgame but it soon started to feel a bit shallow so I have been looking at Descent and the pathfinder card game.

Both will be a nice step in my greater goal of getting her to play full fat DnD but does any have any experience with either the pathfinder card game or Descent? both look good but can't make my mind up.

While I got it at retail for £75 I have to say, the components are excellent. Not just the models but the embossed tiles which have a good thickness.

I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of it, really need to play it again.

Associate
Me and my girlfriend have decided that instead of valentines day gifts (yay no valentines day gifts) we would instead buy a new boardgame and spend the 13th playing it (14th the rugby is on so doing be out). We both enjoyed the D&D Legend of Drizzt boardgame but it soon started to feel a bit shallow so I have been looking at Descent and the pathfinder card game.

Both will be a nice step in my greater goal of getting her to play full fat DnD but does any have any experience with either the pathfinder card game or Descent? both look good but can't make my mind up.

I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of it, really need to play it again.

I enjoyed descent 2nd Edition (played through the campaign twice) and as each mission is split into 2, you can do it in small 30-45 minute chunks, but I wouldn't say it feels much more like D&D than what you have previously played other than having someone as the overlord.

Pathfinder Adventure Card game probably does feel a little more like tabletop, but I found it really repetitive, even when excluding that if you fail a mission you start it again. You may find it different though.

Soldato

I don't mind paying up to about £80 for a board game with Mini's as long as it is a quality product like Zombicide/Imperial Assault but if iirc they only produce Space Hulk in limited runs (not available on the GW site) so I can only find a complete set on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Hulk-Limited-Edition-Board/dp/B00NPA08CC/ref=pd_cp_kh_0

The Ebay ones seem to have been butchered to sell for parts at premium (£60-80 with no minis)

Associate

I have the 'D&D Wrath of Ashardalon' adventure game, just a different theme from 'Drizzt'. We played it a couple of times and while full coop was fun the game just seemed lacking. Very little in the way of character development and everything just looks and feels the same.

While I was going to get 'Descent' just before pulling the trigger 'Imperial Assault' was announced. While it is a completely different theme it acts as a more refined 'Descent' based on the same system.
From what I hear 'Imperial Assault' handles big units better, overlord activations better (Rebels play a group then Imperial then Rebels as opposed to playing ALL units in one turn) and less of a runaway power creep in armour and weapons.

That said, if you're set on the theme, 'Descent' has a whole host of expansions already giving plenty of variety. It even has a couple of full co-op expansions that don't need someone to play the bad guy. It's definitely a better game than 'Drizzt'.

I admit to having not played the 'Pathfinder' game. I was going to get it but for whatever reason something about it put me off buying it, that reason long since forgotten.

I don't mind paying up to about £80 for a board game with Mini's as long as it is a quality product like Zombicide/Imperial Assault but if iirc they only produce Space Hulk in limited runs (not available on the GW site) so I can only find a complete set on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Hulk-Limited-Edition-Board/dp/B00NPA08CC/ref=pd_cp_kh_0

The Ebay ones seem to have been butchered to sell for parts at premium (£60-80 with no minis)

Yeah, 'Spacehulk' went a long time between reprints and the game had costs inflated upwards of £300 to buy online. It was for that reason I jumped on the reprint as soon as possible knowing it would soon again be out of print.
It's an enjoyable game with excellent components but there are enough good two player games out there that you don't need it.

'Claustrophobia' is a good two player adventure game with miniatures. It's almost like 'Drizzt' but with one person playing the demons of hell.

I'd also, in a completely unrelated note, recommend 'Battlelore Second Edition' as a two player game that is about to get beefed up with four smaller expansions.
It is a completely different style of game being C&C. However it is thoroughly enjoyable with asymmetric teams.

Associate
The latest haul of games ...

BoardGamesJan15.jpg

Soldato
'Claustrophobia' is a good two player adventure game with miniatures. It's almost like 'Drizzt' but with one person playing the demons of hell.

I'd also, in a completely unrelated note, recommend 'Battlelore Second Edition' as a two player game that is about to get beefed up with four smaller expansions.
It is a completely different style of game being C&C. However it is thoroughly enjoyable with asymmetric teams.

+100000000 on this. Claustrophobia is a FANTASTIC game for two players. I love it. Love it, love it, LOVE IT! Loads of extra official scenarios available for free to download, also.

Battlelore: Second Edition is also nothing short of excellent. Loads of minis, great opportunities for strategy and a really good "mix up" style for setting up scenarios that tends to keep things feeling fresh each time.

If it's just two of you playing most of the time, you need those games in your collection.

Oh, and the Summoner Wars Master Set!

Soldato
The latest haul of games ...

BoardGamesJan15.jpg

Well, at least you bought Five Tribes and Dominion.

Bickaxe, you won't be disappointed in Camel Cup unless you have a pathological aversion to fun. Just don't take it too seriously or expect it to be meaty.

It looks like a whole bunch of my Kickstarters are coming at once. Tiny Epic Defenders has shipped, Fief is due to ship within a week or so and so is Cthulhu Wars (at last). I may be busy...

Associate
Just want to say thanks to everyone in here,I've been reading in here as I've wanted to get some more board games, I ended up picking up pandemic and pandemic contagion yesterday!,played them both last night and really enjoyed them both,was refreshing to play a game that involved team work(pandemic) rather than the norm of beating the other players.

I have the bug to get more board games and was hoping you guys could recommend some really good board games for me,if you wouldn't mind,I'm looking for a mix of short,medium and long games(4-5 hours being the max really,unless there is a game that is just amazing and worth the serious time)

I currently have:
Relic
Relic nemesis expansion
Love letter
Pandemic
Pandemic contagion
Magic the gathering(have a few decks me,the missus and my house mate enjoy playing).

I'm thinking of ordering these today:

Epic spell wars
Munchkin adventure time(missus loves adventure time)

Any recommendations? Are the above games worth ordering?(what's munchkin like? Is there a better munchkin out there?) I hear epic spell wars is very good.
Thankyou for any help,its much appreciated.

Soldato
Epic Spell Wars is great fun, BUT I would say that you need three or four players to get the most out of it. Some of the cards target opponents in different directions etc. and you don't get that extra element with only two players.

If you enjoy Magic, you might want to have a look at Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game. Grab the base set and you'll get a good deal of head-to-head play time out of it before adding any of the expansions. Same thing for Android: Netrunner.

If you enjoy your co-operative play, grab a copy of Castle Panic and the Wizards Tower expansion. Also consider Elder Sign, Eldritch Horror and Ghost Stories -- though all are punishingly difficult to win.

Speaking of punishingly difficult, also think about picking up Space Hulk: Death Angel. It's a co-operative/solo card game that just LOVES to kick your ass, and it's pretty cheap.

I'd also recommend Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer or Storm of Souls for an intro into deckbuilding. It works really well for 2 or 3 players and makes for a very quick in-between game.

Oh, and CLAUSTROPHOBIA! For two players only, but man oh man... I'll recommend that any chance I can get.

If you like Love Letter, pick up a copy of Coup. It's from the folks who made The Resistance, but works with much fewer players, plays very quickly, and is really great fun with three or more people. And it's small (so goes to the pub easily) and cheap.

For head-to-head war gaming (on a more accessible scale), consider Battlelore: Second Edition and Mythic Battles. Both are fantastic.

In terms of Munchkin... well, they're pretty much all the same except for a re-skin, so if she loves Adventure Time then go ahead and grab that. It's a game that needs at least four players to be interesting in my opinion, however -- and you'll very quickly get fed up with it. I refuse to play it anymore because it just drags on FAR too long, and the wife and her friend always decide to go full-on "take that" when it comes to me, refusing any help, battering me down any chance they can get while ignoring anyone else who is obviously sprinting to victory. Just makes it a real chore to play.

Last edited:
Associate
Thankyou for your reply.
I've gone ahead and ordered these:
Epic spell wars
Munchkin:adventure time
Cthulu the card game
Castle panic
Space hulk:death angel
Claustrophobia
Coup

However I've seen android netrunner before on board game geeks,and I really liked the sound of it however I don't want to be doing any deck building(hence why I ordered no deck building games, and read that cthulu isn't hungry for you to buy cards and such) is netrunner better than cthulu? Or does it have a need for you to keep buying cards and decks? Not sure which one I should get(ordered them through a mates shop so can change my order if I want)

Soldato
However I've seen android netrunner before on board game geeks,and I really liked the sound of it however I don't want to be doing any deck building(hence why I ordered no deck building games, and read that cthulu isn't hungry for you to buy cards and such) is netrunner better than cthulu? Or does it have a need for you to keep buying cards and decks?

Netrunner is immeasurably better than COC:LCG. You will have to keep buying datapacks if you want to compete, but if you just want to play casually with the missus then a Core Set and probably three or four datapacks or two of the medium-size expansions will give you enough to build a number of very solid Corp and Runner decks. After that you can just pick up datapacks when you want to add a little something new to it.

On the other foot, if you like co-op you may be better served by Lord of the Rings LCG. It plays nicely with two out of a single Core Set (although better with two Cores as you can each have three Gandalfs), and you buy Adventure Packs to have new scenarios to play. I believe the first cycle of Adventure Packs is about to be released in a single box; that plus a Core gives nine scenarios, some of which are quite challenging.

Soldato
Netrunner is immeasurably better than COC:LCG. You will have to keep buying datapacks if you want to compete, but if you just want to play casually with the missus then a Core Set and probably three or four datapacks or two of the medium-size expansions will give you enough to build a number of very solid Corp and Runner decks. After that you can just pick up datapacks when you want to add a little something new to it.

On the other foot, if you like co-op you may be better served by Lord of the Rings LCG. It plays nicely with two out of a single Core Set (although better with two Cores as you can each have three Gandalfs), and you buy Adventure Packs to have new scenarios to play. I believe the first cycle of Adventure Packs is about to be released in a single box; that plus a Core gives nine scenarios, some of which are quite challenging.

Cthulhu, however, is much easier to get your head around (for a newbie) than Netrunner.

Chris - I'd recommend checking out Fantasy Flight's (excellent) primer videos for both games.

NETRUNNER:

COC Part 1:

COC Part 2:

Those should give you a good idea of what you want to start with. For both games you WILL eventually want to start grabbing extra big-box expansions or packs, but you'll get plenty of play from the core sets.

In terms of 'deckbuilding', with the Ascension recommendation I don't mean the idea of a collectible/trading card game where you pick which cards are going to go into your personal deck for play.

Rather, a 'deckbuilder' is a game in which each player starts off with the same hand of cards, and each turn buys cards from a common trade pool which they then add to their decks. Your choices are important, as you want to be buying cards that work together to trigger effects in order to get you closer to the win. So, you're in control of what goes into your deck during the game, but not before. It's a cool style, and very fun to play.

Basically, a 'deckbuilder' is totally unlike Magic (and indeed CoC and Netrunner, which do both recommend that you build your own deck from scratch with the available cards, but you can always just pick a random combination of factions and play away with little overriding strategy).

Here's Ascension in action to give you a proper idea:

Arctic Scavengers is another deckbuilder that is really, really good.

Soldato
7 Wonders (60 mins)
Zombie Dice (10 mins)
Zombicide (2-3 hours)
Fury of Dracula (3-4 hours )
Shadows Over Camelot (2 hours)

A few that my group play. There are more but it can get ridiculous and people enjoy different things. Most of the above are played vs the game

Soldato
In terms of 'deckbuilding', with the Ascension recommendation I don't mean the idea of a collectible/trading card game where you pick which cards are going to go into your personal deck for play.

Rather, a 'deckbuilder' is a game in which each player starts off with the same hand of cards, and each turn buys cards from a common trade pool which they then add to their decks. Your choices are important, as you want to be buying cards that work together to trigger effects in order to get you closer to the win. So, you're in control of what goes into your deck during the game, but not before. It's a cool style, and very fun to play.

A small caveat. There are two main styles of deckbuilder: central market and kingdom. In a central market deckbuilder the cards available for purchase are available in limited numbers drawn from a single deck; in a kingdom deckbuilder (the term is taken from Dominion, the first and most famous) all cards that can be purchased are available at all times. Central market deckbuilders have the advantage of shorter setup and breakdown times as you don't need to sort everything after each game, but overall it's a weaker mechanic as you can be screwed by vagaries of the draw.

Of the two recommended here, Ascension is a central market game while Arctic Scavengers is a kingdom game.

Soldato
A small caveat. There are two main styles of deckbuilder: central market and kingdom. In a central market deckbuilder the cards available for purchase are available in limited numbers drawn from a single deck; in a kingdom deckbuilder (the term is taken from Dominion, the first and most famous) all cards that can be purchased are available at all times. Central market deckbuilders have the advantage of shorter setup and breakdown times as you don't need to sort everything after each game, but overall it's a weaker mechanic as you can be screwed by vagaries of the draw.

Of the two recommended here, Ascension is a central market game while Arctic Scavengers is a kingdom game.

Good point! :D

Back
Top Bottom