North Korea threatens US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

Associate
Part 1 of 10 if you have an hour to spare watch them all` they get better!
North Korean propaganda machine hard at work ... having just watched all ten parts to this film its interesting to see things from there side aswell there views of the western world.

Last edited:
Soldato
"North Korea likely has the capability to mount a plutonium-based nuclear warhead on the shorter range Nodong missile, which has a range of about 800 miles" — Former IAEA inspector David Albright

Which puts : Seoul / South korea , All most all of Japan , Beijing , Shanghai.

If North Korea did decide to actually take action then they could cause some serious damage to not only those countries but the 40,000 American troops in Japan , and 50,000 in South Korea.

Man of Honour
Easily shot down, although probably not before they could strike South Korea. They wouldn't do it though, that kind of tactic would annoy all countries around them (including China).

Caporegime
Easily shot down, although probably not before they could strike South Korea. They wouldn't do it though, that kind of tactic would annoy all countries around them (including China).

I would imagine any fallout would head in Chinas direction, so I suppose they have a reason to deal with it, hell maybe they will shoot it down themselves.

Caporegime
"North Korea likely has the capability to mount a plutonium-based nuclear warhead on the shorter range Nodong missile, which has a range of about 800 miles" — Former IAEA inspector David Albright

Nodong, hurr hurr. Perhaps Smalldong would have been more appropriate. :p

Caporegime
Thing is North Korea must know that any sort of nuclear attack would be the end of the regime. They may be commies, but I'm sure they aren't completely stupid.

Soldato
After US-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, their reputation worldwide is at low point. I'm sure they wouldn't want to be seen as an aggressor towards NK.

Sorry, have we already forgot that they flew 2 stealth bombers over NK? Clear aggression tactics.

Thats like me walking past your partner and smacking her arse.

Soldato
After US-led wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, their reputation worldwide is at low point. I'm sure they wouldn't want to be seen as an aggressor towards NK.

Indeed.

And perhaps more importantly - they need to demonstrate to China that they will not take aggressive action against North Korea unless there is no other choice. If China thinks that the US is trying to extend their territorial influence in South East Asia then relations between the two of them will rapidly go downhill.

North Korea, at a strategic level, is little more than a flea compared to the relationship between the two superpowers of the 21st century.

Sorry, have we already forgot that they flew 2 stealth bombers over NK? Clear aggression tactics.

!!!

For the tenth time - the bombers did not fly over North Korea. They flew over the South, in coordination with South Korean authorities.

Last edited:
Soldato

Thats like me walking past your partner and smacking her arse.

They flew over South Korean airspace on military exercises, I think the Clear aggression tactics were North Korea threatening to nuke the USA.

Caporegime
Thing is.....no one is taking them very seriously. How many more stages/tranches of saber rattling can they enact until someone notices them? A couple more stages of readiness? Then if that doesn't work, shell or sink something? It must be very hard to take them seriously during negotiations!

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is.....no one is taking very seriously. How many more stages/tranches of saber rattling can they enact until someone notices them? A couple more stages of readiness? Then if that doesn't work, shell or sink something? It must be very hard to take them seriously during negotiations!

This is what concerns me about the situation.

In the past North Korea has managed to extort concessions by increasing their level of threats and rhetoric. This time around, the US is making a point of not moving an inch. There really isn't much more room for North Korea to maneuver in terms of abstract threats... Either they will need to stand down, or start a skirmish of some kind.

My concern is that the North Koreans will start such a skirmish, in order to avoid seeming weak back home, which will then spiral into a full blown conflict.

Soldato
So is all this noise from NK going to amount to anything or is Kim Jong Il just like my old manager? A fat blustering buffon? On the bbc the other night the expert was sayjng there had been no troop movements on the boarder which to me suggests this is all talk.

Back
Top Bottom