• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Not a amd vs Intel thread

Associate
Hi thanks for looking.

I'm currently using a ryzen 7 2700x and was thinking of upgrading to a ryzen 9 5900x but after a little experiment the other night I found my gaming performance was a hell of a lot better with a 10 year old Intel xeon cpu than it is with the ryzen 7 cpu! I would just stick with the xeon setup if I hadn't had to modify the xeon rigs psu to accommodate the rtx 3070 power connectors. Anyway I'm now thinking of going back to Intel, well I am going back to Intel! What would some Intel guys recommend? I was gonna spend £500 on a ryzen 9.

Soldato
I'd recommend you do a little reading, then wait until later this month/ next month, when the new intel is released.

It is odd that your gaming perf was the way it was. I ponder if something else was wrong in your system.

Associate
OP
I'd recommend you do a little reading, then wait until later this month/ next month, when the new intel is released.

It is odd that your gaming perf was the way it was. I ponder if something else was wrong in your system.

Tbh this amd rig has been nothing but agg since I made it. Windows performance wise it's great but as soon as I throw a game at it performance is way off. I've changed the psu changed the ram fiddled with countless bios settings. Had issues with cpu over voltage and running way above its rated wattage even though the bios settings were set to standard ie no over clocking. After trying the 3070 in a old xeon rig and noticing a gain of 60fps on some titles makes me wonder. It's put me right off amd anyway. I've always used Intel and its always been a simple case of install the cpu switch the machine on and it's ready to go without having to ponce around with bios options. Is it coffee lake I should be waiting for? Thanks.

Soldato
Tbh this amd rig has been nothing but agg since I made it. Windows performance wise it's great but as soon as I throw a game at it performance is way off. I've changed the psu changed the ram fiddled with countless bios settings. Had issues with cpu over voltage and running way above its rated wattage even though the bios settings were set to standard ie no over clocking. After trying the 3070 in a old xeon rig and noticing a gain of 60fps on some titles makes me wonder. It's put me right off amd anyway. I've always used Intel and its always been a simple case of install the cpu switch the machine on and it's ready to go without having to ponce around with bios options. Is it coffee lake I should be waiting for? Thanks.

MSI motherboard by any chance?

Associate
gaming performance was a hell of a lot better
I doubt CPU is the only factor here. 2700X is not a great CPU for games, but should still run rings around any pre-Skylake Intel.

Anyhow, as you are decided on Intel
go with 8 cores
Current 10700K (Comet Lake) and 11700K (Rocket Lake) are ok gaming CPUs.
Upcoming Alder Lake 12700K will probably be ok as well. Would wait for that
You will need to invest in good cooling for any of these.

Soldato
Is that 500 for a whole CPU + mobo + RAM combo or just the CPU? Supposedly you might get a 12700K for that. From what I'm seeing in stores Intel has stopped shipping Rocket Lake CPUs as they're preparing for the new line-up, because the i5 11400f was great value when it was available.

https://www.techspot.com/news/91109-pricing-alder-lake-leaks-looks-like-can-burn.html

FAyIMLsUcAIprI7

If your mobo supports an R5 5600X then I'd just go with that, it's a great performer and you don't need to change everything, which would make it great value as an upgrade. Granted it sounds like you might have issues with your existing mobo+ram so it's harder to judge in that case, that's something you have to figure out.

Man of Honour
I doubt CPU is the only factor here. 2700X is not a great CPU for games, but should still run rings around any pre-Skylake Intel.

Anyhow, as you are decided on Intel
go with 8 cores
Current 10700K (Comet Lake) and 11700K (Rocket Lake) are ok gaming CPUs.
Upcoming Alder Lake 12700K will probably be ok as well. Would wait for that
You will need to invest in good cooling for any of these.

My 2013 era Xeon 1650 V2 at around 4.4GHz broadly matches the 2600/2700 for gaming and will clock to 4.7+. Something wrong if an even older Xeon is much faster than a 2700X. But 2000 series Ryzen is generally on par with 5th gen Intel for gaming performance stock for stock but a bit faster for desktop tasks.

EDIT: Only thing I would say in that regard - nVidia's drivers and new GPU architectures tend to have a degree of software assistance in the driver scheduling stack which seems somewhat memory performance sensitive - in specific instances the quad channel memory on the Xeons can be a bit of a benefit especially if running less than ~3000-3200MHz RAM on Ryzen.

Last edited:
Associate
If you're going to buy right now I would stick with AMD, Zen 3 is the best architecture currently and there will be some upgrade potential (Zen3+) on the AM4 socket.

If not I would wait for Alderlake and see how it measures up in performance and pricing, the only problem there is that you will be an early adopter so will likely experience some teething issues on the new platform/OS.

Caporegime
Hi thanks for looking.

I'm currently using a ryzen 7 2700x and was thinking of upgrading to a ryzen 9 5900x but after a little experiment the other night I found my gaming performance was a hell of a lot better with a 10 year old Intel xeon cpu than it is with the ryzen 7 cpu! I would just stick with the xeon setup if I hadn't had to modify the xeon rigs psu to accommodate the rtx 3070 power connectors. Anyway I'm now thinking of going back to Intel, well I am going back to Intel! What would some Intel guys recommend? I was gonna spend £500 on a ryzen 9.

What is the Xeon system specs?

Associate
I'd definitely wait until the new round of Intel CPU's launch, for whatever they're worth the leaked performance numbers look good. Otherwise of buying now the Ryzen 5000 series offers excellent performance and is now a mature platform, to quote Mr Huang "it just works".

Back
Top Bottom