• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Not a amd vs Intel thread

Soldato
Is that 500 for a whole CPU + mobo + RAM combo or just the CPU? Supposedly you might get a 12700K for that. From what I'm seeing in stores Intel has stopped shipping Rocket Lake CPUs as they're preparing for the new line-up, because the i5 11400f was great value when it was available.

https://www.techspot.com/news/91109-pricing-alder-lake-leaks-looks-like-can-burn.html

FAyIMLsUcAIprI7

If your mobo supports an R5 5600X then I'd just go with that, it's a great performer and you don't need to change everything, which would make it great value as an upgrade. Granted it sounds like you might have issues with your existing mobo+ram so it's harder to judge in that case, that's something you have to figure out.

Surely that isn't correct?
£150 for an igpu in the 12700k to kf?
Seems wrong.

Associate
OP
I think I will wait for the Alderlake.

With this ryzen when gaming I've always had random freezes or frame drops to 0 only for a nano second bit still annoying especially when a xbox performs better at a fraction of the price.

With the xeon system I didn't get the random freezing.

I've tried different memory. Changed the psu. Disabled every oc setting in the bios. Tried different memory speeds and timings. One thing I did notice is that the frame drops coincide with fluctuations in the fan on the radiator. So I set the cooling fan to full speed permanently even tried locking the cpu clock as its constantly changing, thought maybe it's thermal throttling but with the fans on full the cpu is a steady 55 degrees. Some games that are more cpu dependent struggle bad yet cpu usage never goes above 40%. I don't know if that's good or bad i.e the cpu is overkill or it's not being utilised properly.

Associate
OP
Is that 500 for a whole CPU + mobo + RAM combo or just the CPU? Supposedly you might get a 12700K for that. From what I'm seeing in stores Intel has stopped shipping Rocket Lake CPUs as they're preparing for the new line-up, because the i5 11400f was great value when it was available.

https://www.techspot.com/news/91109-pricing-alder-lake-leaks-looks-like-can-burn.html

FAyIMLsUcAIprI7

If your mobo supports an R5 5600X then I'd just go with that, it's a great performer and you don't need to change everything, which would make it great value as an upgrade. Granted it sounds like you might have issues with your existing mobo+ram so it's harder to judge in that case, that's something you have to figure out.

£500 for the cpu only, oh I do get a prism cooler thrown it but I already have a liquid cooler.

Caporegime
Hi its a dual xeon e5649 @ 2666 mhz
16gb ddr3 1333 ecc
Motherboard is a hp board Intel 5520 chipset
Cheap and cheerful 120gb ssd drive
I think the psu is 1.2kw
Windows 10 x64

That's a sub 3Ghz Westmere, basically a 6 core i7 920. i had a 930, good CPU for its time, really good but....

my gaming performance was a hell of a lot better

I have SO MANY QUESTIONS :eek:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hi thanks for looking.

I'm currently using a ryzen 7 2700x and was thinking of upgrading to a ryzen 9 5900x but after a little experiment the other night I found my gaming performance was a hell of a lot better with a 10 year old Intel xeon cpu than it is with the ryzen 7 cpu! I would just stick with the xeon setup if I hadn't had to modify the xeon rigs psu to accommodate the rtx 3070 power connectors. Anyway I'm now thinking of going back to Intel, well I am going back to Intel! What would some Intel guys recommend? I was gonna spend £500 on a ryzen 9.
Something not right with your system if that is the case. Maybe look at fixing that and you may feel there is no need for an upgrade even. Cheapest thing to do would be to just get a 5600X, but that’s no good if you do not find out what the current problem is as it may still not work properly once you get that.

Man of Honour
Hi its a dual xeon e5649 @ 2666 mhz
16gb ddr3 1333 ecc
Motherboard is a hp board Intel 5520 chipset
Cheap and cheerful 120gb ssd drive
I think the psu is 1.2kw
Windows 10 x64

No way that is out-performing a 2000 series Ryzen when everything is working properly - my 3 iterations newer Xeon only keeps up with them thanks to generous overclocking headroom.

Associate
OP
If just been looking thru the BIOS and my memory timings are fooked! It's all set to auto except speed which is set to 3200 because it won't run at 3600 with my cpu. Even though it's set at 3200 the timings are the same as they would be at 3600? I set the speed to auto which clocked it to 2666 and the timings were what the vendor lists for that speed. Tried a game and the frame rate has doubled. So I tried to manually input the timings at 3200 which I belive are 16-18-18-36 and it was worse than before! Am I missing something?

Caporegime
If just been looking thru the BIOS and my memory timings are fooked! It's all set to auto except speed which is set to 3200 because it won't run at 3600 with my cpu. Even though it's set at 3200 the timings are the same as they would be at 3600? I set the speed to auto which clocked it to 2666 and the timings were what the vendor lists for that speed. Tried a game and the frame rate has doubled. So I tried to manually input the timings at 3200 which I belive are 16-18-18-36 and it was worse than before! Am I missing something?

Your memory timings and speed don't have that much impact on performance, best case its 20%. something is wrong.

What are your 3200Mhz auto timings?

Associate
OP
Hi o the
Your memory timings and speed don't have that much impact on performance, best case its 20%. something is wrong.

What are your 3200Mhz auto timings?

Hi they were 18-22-22-42 which is the same as it should be at 3600. From what I've been reading it only has one xmp profile for 3600 nothing else so I don't think the mb even knows what the timings should be at any other speed apart from the stock speed.

Man of Honour
It's 40fps on some titles. I've been doing a bit of reading and a lot of gamers say ram makes the most difference when it comes to frame rates?

1000 and 2000 series Ryzen in many games there is an appreciable performance difference up to 3000MHz with reasonable or better latency RAM and a little more to eek out at 3200MHz but getting into diminishing returns.

Not sure why you are seeing degraded performance over 2666MHz though unless there is something a BIOS update would fix - the 2000 series Ryzen systems I've experience of I just clicked a few BIOS settings to enable XMP and away it went at expected performance without a hitch.

Back
Top Bottom