Not connected error

Soldato
hi, got a vista pc here, doing my head in. says its connected to internet but when i go to open IE or FF i get a cannot display webpage error.
i have reset everything to defaults, i have scanned it with combofix, spybot, spyware doctor, malwarebytes, MSE, and loaris removing everything until each program now scans clean. its running vista home premium 32 bit sp2, when the pc first came in 90% of the windows stuff was missing (windows updates, IE, most of the Accessories folder etc) so i did an upgrade repair and now all of the features are back, just this annoying internet problem. everything works fine in safemode.
HELP :)

Soldato
OP
Hmm sounds strange. I suppose you could try these few things:

Can you access webpages via their ip?
Try putting 74.125.230.113 into IE or FF (google)

1) Sounds silly but please make sure "work offline" isnt checked under the file menu in IE.
2) In Internet Options (in IE), Under the connections tab, click on Lan Settings and make sure there nothing entered/ticked.
3) In a command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns
4) Have you tried the Vista inbuilt network troubleshooter?
5) Try resetting IE again from the Reset IE to Defaults button under the "advanced" tab.

no addresses work in IE or FF at all :( cant even connect to the router (192.168.0.254)

1. checked that
2. did that too :(
3. still no joy :(
4. it says that there is an error it cannot resolve so contact my IP, but all other pcs here work so i know its not that
5. i have done that, uninstalled and reinstalled, but nothing will connect to the internet, no windows/antivirus updates but everything works fine in safemode

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
no luck :(
does anything here look suspicious?
taskmanager.jpg

Soldato
OP
Internet Options and connections tab.

Click on LAN settings and make sure the 2 proxy tick boxes are un-ticked.

one of the first things i checked. this one really has me stumped, normally we get these in and out in a day or 2, had this over a week now and cant get the issue resolved, so thought i would ask on here.

Soldato
OP
grrr ok.
well combofix came up with nothing, but i now get a preparing to install box flash up everytime i open IE.
i have disable all addons hoping it was one of them, but no :(

Back
Top Bottom