Not losing weight why??

Soldato
I am a certified greedy barsteward, and life as a carer means the kitchen cupboard is now my best friend. Not healthy at all, and I'm experimenting with becoming the world's worst yo-yo dieter. So far it's going well, sadly, but I think I still may have some useful thoughts after many years of regular 'calorific restriction' to keep in a healthy range for me (I have a bad back after 25 years in retail, so can't afford to get chunky).

In your case I wonder if the hot weather and outdoor life is encouraging some water retention? No harm in that, I'd have thought, if it is the case. You've got to stay hydrated in a job like that at times like this. However ultimately I know from personal experience that it's very, very easy to underestimate what you're eating. And I also know that if I don't knock almost all carbs on the head, the only thing I'm losing is time. Given that you've done brilliantly and are no longer carrying about 25 bags of sugar around with you, your body will also need fewer calories, so that and your underestimation may have reached stalemate.

Having said I cut out all carbs, I do usually have a rice cracker smeared thinly with peanut butter for breakfast though, because it seems to set me up for abstinence until much later in the day. I find that whether it's advisable or not, I tend to save the bulk of my intake until the evening, because if there's one thing guaranteed to kill weight loss for me, it's going to bed hungry. My willpower is far better earlier in the day. Says the man who just cracked and ate a wholemeal bun with Marmite. Do as I say, not as I do. :)

My other rule is no sugar. Magnums are lovely, but if I eat anything sugary it just kickstarts cravings and ruins the flavour of apples etc, which all taste so much better if your palate's weened off a 'normal' diet. There is a Magnum in our fridge though. There used to be many more. Remember the do as I say, thing. ;) Best rule for this kind of thing is 'if you don't want to be tempted, don't buy it in the first place!' but that's easier said than done unless you live on your own and can strip the house of temptation.

Another tip I use is to clean my teeth after eating. I know they say you have to be careful how soon you brush after eating, but it's more to freshen my mouth than to actually scrub. I used to use mouthwash, but these days I'm worrying about a potential connection with a variety of diseases which may be connected to the bacterial cocktail in our mouths and guts, so I try not to use it very often. Anyway, a minty fresh gob tends to limit the desire to eat more, if only because everything will taste minty fresh if you start eating again.

Of course that doesn't always help. Especially if you like mint Magnums or mint jelly sandwiches.

One thing to consider as well is that intense exercise usually makes people more hungry. It also usually uses up far fewer calories than most people expect. So your gym sessions might actually be making things harder for you. On the plus side you might be gaining muscle instead of fat, but it's not as if muscle weighs a huge amount more than fat.

Anyway, I'm off to burn some calories scrubbing a carpet. Don't ask why I'm scrubbing, let's just say I definitely won't be hungry afterwards. Typing this has been displacement activity. :)

Good luck.

What did I just read?

Soldato
I can eat till my stomach strains eat what I like and not put on a stone, I hang around 10.5-11 stone.

Don't think walking is enough even if it's your job need to get heart rate up and sweat a bit, so that every day an hour a day for months and lose that fat. Like 10-20 mile cycle ride 5 days a week

No no no. OP don't listen to hornetstinger...

I agree walking isn't enough, you need to be doing other cardio exercises along with the dieting. Nothing to OTT and certainly not jumping into an hour every day for months or a 10-20mile bike ride 5 days a week... Start small and increase.. unless your're relatively fit already and start at not such a leisurely place.

Soldato

I agree walking isn't enough, you need to be doing other cardio exercises along with the dieting. Nothing to OTT and certainly not jumping into an hour every day for months or a 10-20mile bike ride 5 days a week... Start small and increase.. unless your're relatively fit already and start at not such a leisurely place.

Well that's what I do, 10-20 miles everyday that's why I eat like three people I can eat whole family sized trifle or gateux and stay 11st and under.

Soldato
OP
Out of interest OP, what was your diet like when growing up, say from around 4-18.
Absolutely terrible, my mother didn’t have a lot of money so my dinners consisted of chips, chips, more chips with fish fingers lol, as I grew up and started earning money say from 14 ‘paper round’ I had my first takeaways Chinese, indian, Marcy ds. From then till now 37 years old, my weight has always been problem, but I’ve never been in the 20stone + Mark until recently.

Man of Honour
Quite frankly there is absolutely no way you are eating only 1200kcals and not losing weight if you are the weight you say you are. You are not measuring your intake correctly. Simply scanning a bar code probably isn't good enough. Check packaging, weigh things and do the maths yourself. Apps can be terrible and most of the time they rely on user entered data which is very often incorrect - garbage in garbage out.

Soldato
OP

I do, do an hour to hour and half of weight lifting in the gym first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, so wouldn’t that go well with 6 hours of pretty much solid walking. Remember it not just walking on a flat surface we carry a 16kl bag full of letters/parcels up and down stairs up and down hills in and out of driveways. I do walk at a steady pace my heart rate at the moment as I’m at work’having a 5 min break’ is at 89bpm when I’m walking it’s normally around 106bpm I like to get done as quick as I can so I can go home as quick as I can.

That being said if you guys think more actual cardio is needed I can go back to the gym in the evening for 30 to 45 mind and hit out cardio.

Soldato
OP
I
Quite frankly there is absolutely no way you are eating only 1200kcals and not losing weight if you are the weight you say you are. You are not measuring your intake correctly. Simply scanning a bar code probably isn't good enough. Check packaging, weigh things and do the maths yourself. Apps can be terrible and most of the time they rely on user entered data which is very often incorrect - garbage in garbage out.
I agree with this to a certain extent, I do check packages for the values and do input my own data if the scan doesn’t work, I always double check to make sure it’s correct, somethings I have to guess on like a chicken breast, if I type chicken breast the cals can be anywhere from 119cal to 400cals what the correct t one? So I tend to pick one that’s in the middle say 200cal. I could be wrong and because of that I’m taking in more cal then I think.

Man of Honour
This was my biggest gripe with tracking apps. There's a big emphasis on being able to go by portion/item, however they're always different so it's impossible.

You need to work out kcal per gram by looking at the packaging, then go by weight of ingredients used in your meal.

:edit: your activity levels alone sound like they'd burn well through a 1200kcal intake before even considering your BMR.

Also, it's quite telling that you say you're never hungry. On a massive calorie defecit, you should be feeling hungry a lot. The only way to defeat this is usually by eating shed loads of low calorie foods like salad and green veg. You aren't doing that, which makes me think the reason you aren't hungry is because your intake is out of whack.

Soldato
Absolutely terrible, my mother didn’t have a lot of money so my dinners consisted of chips, chips, more chips with fish fingers lol, as I grew up and started earning money say from 14 ‘paper round’ I had my first takeaways Chinese, indian, Marcy ds. From then till now 37 years old, my weight has always been problem, but I’ve never been in the 20stone + Mark until recently.

Interesting, I grew up on home made dinners 98% of the time, including home grown potatoes and veg and fresh eggs. We were certainly not well off but managed to always eat very healthy so I wonder if that's a factor later in life.

Man of Honour
I'm sorry but the crisps , Ice cream, chips (even the sweet potato chips) need to go.. what type of bread do have with your Sandwiches - white or wholewheat?

Don't measure, just be sensible in what you eat replacing high sugar/starch foods with something more natural foods which are slower to release sugars.

This is a good link I found a few weeks, based on the BBC TV program "the truth about carbs"..

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Soldato
OP
I'm sorry but the crisps , Ice cream, chips (even the sweet potato chips) need to go.. what type of bread do have with your Sandwiches - white or wholewheat?

Don't measure, just be sensible in what you eat replacing high sugar/starch foods with something more natural foods which are slower to release sugars.

This is a good link I found a few weeks, based on the BBC TV program "the truth about carbs"..

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
Yeah, starting to think I’ll have to go to a new level with this, but to answer your question I have Danish whole meal bread.

Having 200g for sweet potato chips is nothing it’s one smallish potato, air fried no oil at all, it’s like having a jacket potato really. I think my dream on 5% body fat is staying a dream lol

Soldato
OP
On a serious note, you all have valid points and it’s highly appreciated, I’ll revalue what I’m eating and try to get more exact cal count, drop the coke, but keeping my once, twice a week magnum, it’s summer after all.

Soldato
This is roughly what body fat % looks like. Everyone is different obviously as muscle and bone structure will impact your look but 10-15% is a much more realistic, though long term goal.

Have to agree with Zefan. 6 miles of walking at your weight is probably burning at least 600+ calories. So unless your metabolism is a literal slug you should be losing weight at 1200 calories a day.

Associate
Maybe switch up your routine and try 6 days of dieting and then 1 cheat day after you have weighed yourself for the week etc.rather than a cheat item everyday(ice cream/crisps) Also maybe your not having enough of the right foods and your body is hungry and maybe storing fat. there could be a multitude of things I guess and deffo worth getting some nutrition advice

Back
Top Bottom