Nothing phone (1)

Soldato
OP

I have to admit some of the way the LEDs are used are pretty cool, such as notifications, wireless and charging indicators, but linking it to the ringtone feels a bit over the top. It also seems to function as the light/flash for the camera but I feel sorry for the person staring directly at the phone :p .

Soldato
OP
Specs leaked thanks to Amazon:

6.55" OLED display with 120Hz adaptive refresh rate
Gorilla glass protection on front & back
Qualcomm Snapdragon 778G+
50MP dual rear camera with f/1.8 4K video recording 60fps
Android 12 based Nothing OS
5G connectivity

Some other comments are saying it's a side mounted fingerprint scanner but haven't seen anything solid to back this up.

Amazon also accidentally leaked the price:

Nothing Phone (1) + Nothing Ear (1) bundle
8+128GB: €469.99
8+256GB: €499.99
12+256GB: €549.99

Caporegime
Soldato
OP
I dont get it.

Why do I want the back flashing? It's either in my pocket or on my desk... with its face up, not the back.
Purely gimmick to stand out from the rest. Not for me either, but having a notification LED is one thing I do miss these days, however AOD is a good alternative.

Honestly I'm just hoping for the software to be good, if they can keep it close to Pixel style and don't mess with the memory/battery management like a lot of OEMs have, then it will appeal to a lot of tech enthusiasts.

Soldato
I guess it's to save on cost
Yeah I guess so… but still. It should be the same ram between phones. Regardless. :/ it annoys me a little like, buy the bigger storage for more ram ! Like what ? Erm, what if I want the highest ram on the smallest storage etc ? Tough I guess. Edit. Not everybody needs the highest storage.

Soldato
Yeah I guess so… but still. It should be the same ram between phones. Regardless. :/ it annoys me a little like, buy the bigger storage for more ram ! Like what ? Erm, what if I want the highest ram on the smallest storage etc ? Tough I guess. Edit. Not everybody needs the highest storage.
It’s to differentiate the product. Was it a Samsung innovation to tie storage to RAM? I can’t quite remember. It might have been one of the Chinese manufacturers who started the trend.

Associate
Many people are seeking cases with light cutouts or a clear case that will become yellowish in 2-3 months, also the case with cutouts that attracts more dust in it which makes it worse! I think a body screen guard from Gadgetshieldz is good enough because I use it on my old phone and it didn't turn yellowish!

Last edited:
Associate
My biggest concern for a phone like this is am I going to be seeing a camera quality difference from coming from a Pixel phone? Part of the reason Pixel phones take good shots is because of the camera software over the hardware right?

Soldato
My biggest concern for a phone like this is am I going to be seeing a camera quality difference from coming from a Pixel phone? Part of the reason Pixel phones take good shots is because of the camera software over the hardware right?
More likely than not the camera will be average to good. Not Pixel level that's for sure.

Associate
Yes, the Pixel camera is the best from my point because I'm using Gcam on my phone which gives out great images!

Associate

Yes, you could consider the 6a £399 coming out later this month

Associate
Carl Pei really sticking to his strengths in viral marketing on this one. They've already smashed the pre-orders and the masses of people who miss the old OnePlus days will be getting their fix.

Interesting choice for the main SoC. Lots of people were complaining saying they should have just opted for a superior Snapdragon 870, but they probably did some testing and a significantly newer mid-ranger is better.

The camera should be good, but not Pixel-level good. The Google Imaging algorithm is just fantastic. Pixel-binning a 50mp image with a larger sensor makes a huge difference.

I'm very excited about this, almost went for a pre-order (£20) but am saving for my Steam Deck notification.

That back panel is just genius IMHO. People who don't like it, will pass on this phone. But people who like that back panel, WILL REALLY LIKE IT. :D

Back
Top Bottom